Ammo loading/carry-up procedure?

This is what we do.
Jetmugg
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Ammo loading/carry-up procedure?

Post by Jetmugg »

I'm getting excited, I'll be shooting my first SB match tomorrow morning. As I have been studying the rulebook, I have a question that should be straightforward to answer (by anyone who has shot a match previously).

When coming to the line, how do you handle your ammo. I currently only have one 5-round magazine for my CZ 452. It appears that I bring a pre-loaded magazine with me to the shooting line, and may load it into the rifle after the "Ready" command is given. My question is - since I will have to re-load the magazine after the first group of 5 animals, do I carry 5 additional rounds with me in a regular ammo box (Wolf MT), carry them loose and set them on the bench, and at what point may I re-load my magazine for the next batch of animals. (The way I read the rules, I must wait until the next "Ready" command is given to re-load the magazine, is this correct?)

If I had 2 5-round magazines, would it be acceptable to bring both magazines to the line in loaded condition, ready to pop them in the rifle?

Any advice is appreciated.

SteveM.

Post by Guest »

Jettmug
Glad to see you are excited! I think its that enthusiasm that re-invigorates us all every spring when silhouette season rolls around again.
I haven't seen em all, but here's the drill on most of the twelve ranges I've shot on...most are similar.
Show up an hour or so before the posted match time (maybe a little more for your first match of the season,as you will have to register for the match and purchase a score book as well as sighting in and checking scope settings etc.). Every range has a set of range rules posted nearby- it's a good idea to look them over-- some ranges have specific issues. Somewhere behind the firing will be a rifle rack and that is where your rifle should be unless you are at the firing line. Whether your rifle is in the rack, or in the rest at the firing line, or any where in between, the bolt should be open, the clip should be out and an empty chamber indicator should be in place. Always carry the rifle in front of you, muzzle up. I know this all seems pretty basic, but the fastest way to get on the wrong side of an entire group of fellow shooters is to do something unsafe.
Every match has a designated range officer. When you register for the match, you will be assigned a starting firing point and bank of animals and possibly a relay, depending on the number of shooters. The range officer will call relay one shooters to the line. At that time all shooters on relay one will bring their rifle from the rack to their assigned firing point and place it in a single rack or rest at the firing point, along with your ammo (in a 50 round box is fine, I usually start each match with a fresh box), timer, and clip. Usually your clip can be loaded with 5 rounds, and yes you can have two clips at the line, but can not be in the rifle and you may not handle the rifle beyond the point when you put it in the rest at the firing line. When the line is ready, the range officer will give the command "For your first bank of animals- Ready". At that time you may pick up your rifle, remove the indicator, make any adjustments to your scope, your stance or body position, insert your clip, chamber the first round and shoulder your rifle ---everything but fire. The range officer will then give the command " Fire". Everything up to this point will typically go perfectly-- everything after this point is why this forum is here. :lol: . Anyway two and half minutes later you are a silhouette shooter and the range officer will give the stop command. At that time you remove the clip from your rifle (or if you finish your fifth shot sooner, remove it as soon as you finish ) and return your rifle, bolt open, to the rest at the firing point. Reload your clip (if you only have one), gather yourself up (you still have 35 more chances), take a deep breath and repeat. Just listen to the range officer.
You have just taken the first step on one of the most fascinating journeys into one of the most interesting sports on the planet--enjoy it!
Good luck and let us know how it all went.
Shootndig
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Shootndig »

Jetmugg,
Rulebooks---good call, it helps clear up a lot of things!
The short answer is yes. When you finish the 5th shot remove your clip and then put your rifle down. Reload your clip. You just cant put it back in your rifle until the ready command is given for the second bank of animals.
Good luck!
nomad
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by nomad »

You are allowed to bring a pre-loaded magazine to the line in SB. (In HP Htr, you must load after the ready command. This is one of the more ridiculous rules in the game.)

At most matches no one cares if you bring a box of ammo to the line with you and reload your single magazine for bank 2 (or 3) whenever you finish bank one. (Just don't reinsert it into the rifle until after the next ready command has been given.) Rule 10.7(a) requiring you to bring '5 loose rounds' to the line is generally ignored in most local SB competitions.

Keep in mind that most of us really do regard this as a game where the object is to have fun. UNLESS YOU VIOLATE SAFETY PROTOCOLS (or you're deliberately cheating!) the worst that should happen is that some experienced shooter will point out your transgressions in an effort to help you understand the requirements. If you find that the line officers or club competitors are breathing down your neck and ready to jump on newbies for every minor rule infraction at local matches, you need to find another place to shoot.
(This is NOT the case at state or higher level matches. Shooters there are expected to be -- and SHOULD BE! -- well enough versed in the rules to know what's OK and what's not. IOW at those matches, competitors should expect to be held to a higher standard.)