New Shooter

This is what we do.
TomJ
B Poster
B Poster

New Shooter

Post by TomJ »

I have just begun shooting SB MS with an Anschutz 1712, Talley high rings, and Bushnell 4200 6x24 power scope. The Bushnell has 1/8" adjustments and an 1/8" dot. After looking through a couple of Leupold scopes with 1/2" dots, I can see a time in the future where I would like to try a 1/2" dot. My question, are there people who can replace the Bushnell dot with a 1/2", if so who are they. Or would it be more cost effective to sell the Bushnell and purchase a Leupold with the larger dot? Your comments would be appreciated. Thanks, Tom
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: New Shooter

Post by Jerry G »

Switch to a scope with 1/4 min clicks and a 1/2 minute dot. It will make life much simpler. In the heat of a match, going a complete rev from chickens to rams can get you in trouble.
Bigfoot
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Bigfoot »

Hi Tom,

Not everyone will agree but here's my $0.25 worth.

I'd contact Loren Peter (he goes by Pete on this site) and have him set you up with one of Leupold's fixed 25x scopes. They're made for this game and are bright as all get out. Have either .5 or 3/8 minute dots and 1/4 minute adjustments.

I went to this after using a 6.5x20 variable and changed due to the improved optics. Field of view and focus. In fact I have 4 of these on various small bore and high power rifles. The best thing is even if you don't take to it you'll loose very little money on it as Mr Peter's prices on these scopes are the best going and there is always someone looking for one.

There are folks that say that this is too much magnification for a new shooter. I agree somewhat but in my case it got me to settle down and was one of the biggest reasons I moved up in classifications more quickly as it made me concentrate on getting my hold together.

Good luck and welcome to the sport!!!
Res ipsa loquitur
TomJ
B Poster
B Poster

Post by TomJ »

Thanks Jerry and Bigfoot for your comments. I was unable to figure out which Pete sells Leupold scopes, does anyone know his user name. Are there others who offer "good" prices on Leupold scopes? Thanks, Tom
Bigfoot
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Bigfoot »

Hey tom. You can pm him from this board. His user name is "Pete".

If you have trouble pm me and I can send you his phone. I'd try to pm first though.

Best regard.
Res ipsa loquitur
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

This is the place I found the best prices. YMMV. http://www.tacticalwholesalers.com/
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
Boyd L.
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Boyd L. »

TomJ wrote:... My question, are there people who can replace the Bushnell dot with a 1/2", if so who are they.
http://targetshooteroptics.com/#2747 I used this company, Optical Services, when Bill Ackerman will still actively involved in day-to-day operations. Great work. You have to decide which avenue is most cost-efficient for you.
MetalMisser
B Poster
B Poster

Post by MetalMisser »

All good info. previous. For smallbore I would opt for a 1/4 minute dot as the .22 round is about that size so what you see on target and represents what you will get as a hit. While the wobble with a big scope is the same as with a small scope it is more unnerving (psychologically) to see that's for sure and that can mess with your head big time. But with the smaller scope you will not see the near edge shot you might see with the big scope. Regardless, after you get going, dry fire your brains out to get used to your wobble.