left or right facing

This is what we do.
wherdthatunhit
B Poster
B Poster

left or right facing

Post by wherdthatunhit »

OK, what does your club do? I don't see anything specific in the NRA rules other than targets must face the same direction on a bank.

We usually have the first three animals facing the same direction and the rams facing the other.

Is there a NRA CORRECT way to set them?
Steven
Benton Gun Club, Arkansas
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: left or right facing

Post by acorneau »

Our animals are designed to face one way only with the other side having "NRA Certified" and a small post cast into the back.

Pretty sure our chickens and rams face left, turkeys to the right, and I can't remember about the pigs.
Last edited by acorneau on Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Allen Corneau
ShootingStar
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ShootingStar »

There is no standard direction, but my NRA Approved Cast-iron targets face the following (if you want to get everyone ready to see the ones at most State, Regional and National Championships)
Chicken faces LEFT
Pig faces RIGHT
Turkey faces RIGHT
Ram faces LEFT.

As the rule book says (paraphrased) cast animals have the smooth side facing the shooter. That's how mine are made.

ShootingStar
Greg
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Some lady complained that the casting 'tit' gave people an aiming point but never said a word when the animals weren't painted every time and she and her partner used the paint chips as aiming points. I guess some aiming points are good and some are bad.

By NRA rules, you could switch the way your animals are facing at the start of each match. As long as any group of animals (chickens, pigs, turkeys, or rams) are facing all the same direction, you are good to go. Don't change them during the match.
wherdthatunhit
B Poster
B Poster

Post by wherdthatunhit »

Thank you very much for the onput
Steven
Benton Gun Club, Arkansas
MetalMisser
B Poster
B Poster

Post by MetalMisser »

People who can really hold hard love to see little marks on the animals for them to aim at-the purpose of really big number scopes. The old aim small hit small thing really is for real. There is no NRA required direction as long as each bank of likewise animals are set the same as the other likewise animals. But you could have rams set left and turkeys set right, etc. but be prepared for the sniveling...
rr2241tx
Unclassified Poster

Post by rr2241tx »

John Babsone Lane Soule in an 1851 editorial in the Terre Haute Express, "Go west young man, and grow up with the country."

Ours all heed that advice. Our range faces the South, so the animals are facing Right.