Trigger Set Up

This is what we do.
jaja
B Poster
B Poster

Trigger Set Up

Post by jaja »

What is the advantage of having a two stage trigger as compared to a single stage trigger? I have an Anschutz 1808 MSR which has a two stage trigger but I'm not really sure that I like it? Can anyone tell me the purpose of a two stage trigger? Right now the trigger travels a little and then there is a little resistance (kind of like a stop). With just a little more pressure the gun goes off. Why not just put your finger on the trigger and have it go off with a little pressure right away instead of having it travel to a stop and then pressuring the trigger? What don't I know?
rr1220
B Poster
B Poster

Re: Trigger Set Up

Post by rr1220 »

for myself the 2 stages combine to give a total pull weight, hunter class requires # 2 trigger, stage 1 is set about 20 ozs allowing 2nd stage to break clean at about #1
as I come down on the animal I take up the first stage hitting the solid stop you mention , when I want to break the shot little effort is required
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

jaja wrote:What is the advantage of having a two stage trigger as compared to a single stage trigger? I have an Anschutz 1808 MSR which has a two stage trigger but I'm not really sure that I like it? Can anyone tell me the purpose of a two stage trigger? Right now the trigger travels a little and then there is a little resistance (kind of like a stop). With just a little more pressure the gun goes off. Why not just put your finger on the trigger and have it go off with a little pressure right away instead of having it travel to a stop and then pressuring the trigger? What don't I know?
JaJa,

I suggest you call Neil Stepp at ISS and ask him to explain the difference between European and US views on triggers. I don't remember all that he told me, but the short version is that these type of triggers aid in establishing better follow through which is especially critical for silhouette shooters because of our position or lack there of. Personally, I find the two stage trigger to be a help in any kind of static shooting discipline, but despise them for field work. Too much history with single stage triggers to overcome there.

Also, if you wanted him to I believe Neil can adjust the trigger on your Anschutz to be single stage. Congratulations on a fine rifle, btw.
ShootingStar
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ShootingStar »

jaja,
I'm sure there are as many opinions out there as there are shooters!
Let me add mine to the mix.

I have found on my better shooting days (AAA/AAA with 1 of 6 Master scores in the book), that FOCUS is the key for me hitting the animal versus missing! I've had my chicken or pig or turkey (not ram yet) turned just slightly. Not really enough to call for an alibi, but not a perfectly flat face towards me. I know that there is slightly smaller area to hit, so it forces me to FOCUS. I have yet to miss one of these slightly turned targets - even the turkeys! FOCUS is critical.

For me, the 2 stage trigger allows me to focus on the spot to shoot, and only apply a small (say 1 pound) additional pressure to break the shot. I FOCUS on thinking my trigger pull is "half-way complete", and I merely "complete" the trigger squeeze when I am on (or near) the spot I want to hit. When I used a single stage, for me, it created the thought in my head of performing the complete trigger squeeze at the right time/spot. I've shot some very nice/crisp single stage triggers, but never really executed the whole shot routine well until I started with my 2 stage. I don't snatch the shot now, just "finish the trigger squeeze" even though you and I both know I am stopped at the end of the 1st stage of the trigger. Really I tell myself I'm still squeezing the trigger (which in reality I am by holding at the 2nd stage start or wall.), then just have to complete the last little bit of the squeeze when I'm on the spot!

The ability to FOCUS on the important items (and not let in stray thoughts like "this one makes 5/10 in a row" or "I need all of these to beat - insert name here - or to get a score of xx") None of those thought help you execute a good shot. Focus on all the aspects of the shot (and a good location call out from your spotter) is what makes for a good shot. Good scores follow good shots!

Hope this helps a little. Good luck in your decision making (and shooting)!
ShootingStar
Greg
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

A 2 lb, two stage trigger allows you to take up much of the weight on the first stage and the second breaks at a much lighter weight.

For a hunting situation, it still breaks at 2 lbs even if you take up both stages at the same time. On a good two stage, you don't have anymore travel than on an average hunting rifle has with a single stage.
jaja
B Poster
B Poster

Post by jaja »

Thanks for the info
SteveD
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by SteveD »

ShootingStar wrote:jaja,
I'm sure there are as many opinions out there as there are shooters!
Let me add mine to the mix.

I have found on my better shooting days (AAA/AAA with 1 of 6 Master scores in the book), that FOCUS is the key for me hitting the animal versus missing! I've had my chicken or pig or turkey (not ram yet) turned just slightly. Not really enough to call for an alibi, but not a perfectly flat face towards me. I know that there is slightly smaller area to hit, so it forces me to FOCUS. I have yet to miss one of these slightly turned targets - even the turkeys! FOCUS is critical.

Focus on all the aspects of the shot (and a good location call out from your spotter) is what makes for a good shot. Good scores follow good shots!

Hope this helps a little. Good luck in your decision making (and shooting)!
ShootingStar
Greg
Great information and well explained.

Thanks!!!!
rogersptl
A Poster
A Poster

Post by rogersptl »

Referencing trigger set up. Do you have the trigger stop set to minimize over travel or back the stop off to allow lots of travel before hitting the stop?
Close only counts with grenades and horseshoes.
Ghostofwar
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ghostofwar »

I prefer my first stage to have a good bit of travel. Its just the way I like it. I've shot some triggers with a very short first stage and I didn't care for that. It all comes down to what feels good for you.
Ghostofwar
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ghostofwar »

Sorry, I thought you were talking about travel on the first stage of the two stage trigger.

I would be willing to bet almost everyone here has their triggers set so there is little to no overtravel.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

I use a 1712 with its two stage trigger and to be honest it took me some time to become acustom to it. Prior to my 1712 I shot a CZ 455 with a very nice single stage trigger set at 2 1/4 lbs. I really enjoyed that trigger on the CZ. I like the trigger on my 1712 just fine but I still don't quite understand the hoopla over a two stage trigger. I had thought often of swapping out my two stage with a single stage trigger from the 1710.
rogersptl
A Poster
A Poster

Post by rogersptl »

My question on the amount of travel to the stop would fit either single or two stage. I found that the trouble I had with my trigger on the 1700 [single stage] was caused by having the trigger stop set as close as possible. Meaning it allowed the firing pin to drop but seemed to prevent any additional movement beyond that. With that setting my trigger if/when moved sideways the FP dropped with way less than the 2#+ setting. By removing the stop to give lots of space between the stop and the stop screw, it no longer fires with sideway pressure. The space is such that unless I really yank the trigger I do not pull the trigger into the stop. Again my question--How do you set your trigger stop? Thanks
Close only counts with grenades and horseshoes.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Hmmmmmm, how do I set my trigger stop? I do not, I let the Anschutz factory do it instead. Mine is as the factory set it.
Boyd L.
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Boyd L. »

rr1220 wrote:for myself the 2 stages combine to give a total pull weight, hunter class requires # 2 trigger, stage 1 is set about 20 ozs allowing 2nd stage to break clean at about #1
as I come down on the animal I take up the first stage hitting the solid stop you mention , when I want to break the shot little effort is required
A lighter second stage pull allows some to break cleanly without disturbing sight picture/follow-through. Mine is set around 13 ounces.

As to Roger's question about setting a trigger over travel stop I don't think my current two stage on my 1712 or the single stage on my 1710 have over travel adjustments. I find that acceptable since there is nothing to cause my already suspect ability to pull a trigger to bump into causing even more disturbance in my sight picture follow-through. I THINK MY Jewell trigger can be adjusted for over travel, but I keep it backed out pretty far for the same reasons I don't miss it on the Anschutz.
SteveD
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by SteveD »

As Greg said, it is integrated into a particular shooting routine where you pull through the first stage as you are getting on hold and then as Boyd said, you have a lesser weight to pull through to accomplish the shot which causes less upset to your sight picture and follow through.

I am wondering if this is in keeping with the spirit of the 2 pound trigger rule for hunter rifle. As Boyd pointed out it does provide an advantage by requiring a lesser pull to make the shot. Once you clear the first stage that amount of weight is no longer in play. Hypothetically, you could set the trigger to have 1 pound, 15 ounces of pull in the first stage and the second stage having only 1 ounce. Unless I am missing something, how is that different, with respect to sight picture and follow though, than having a single stage 1 ounce trigger?

I don't have a horse in this race as I don't shoot Hunter Rifle and don't see me ever doing so. Just wondering.