Trigger Set Up

This is what we do.
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Trigger Set Up

Post by thauglor »

SteveD wrote: I am wondering if this is in keeping with the spirit of the 2 pound trigger rule for hunter rifle. As Boyd pointed out it does provide an advantage by requiring a lesser pull to make the shot. Once you clear the first stage that amount of weight is no longer in play. Hypothetically, you could set the trigger to have 1 pound, 15 ounces of pull in the first stage and the second stage having only 1 ounce. Unless I am missing something, how is that different, with respect to sight picture and follow though, than having a single stage 1 ounce trigger?

I don't have a horse in this race as I don't shoot Hunter Rifle and don't see me ever doing so. Just wondering.
That is the whole point of two stage triggers. It's still over 2 lbs total so it fits the rule. Can't set the second stage too low or you will pull right through it and fire before you are ready.
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

I can't shoot lightweight single stage triggers nearly as well as two lb two stage triggers. There is something to having your hand and trigger finger fully engaged prior to a nice crisp second stage. For example, my squirrel rifle has a Lilja barrel and is much more accurate than my competition rifle, but its 1 lb 8 oz single stage trigger is more difficult for me to control from position and thus my scores are lower with it. Having said that, not all two stage triggers are equal. I much prefer the 5018 trigger to that in the 1712, even though after modification they are the same weight. I guess I don't like the excessive movement in the 1712's trigger. I am not sure it is worth the $2000 dollar difference in cost, but I can tell a difference nothing less.

As to the question on shooting stops: Try calling Neil at ISS and have him explain to you why Anschutz no longer puts over travel adjustments on its triggers. As best I can tell by not having the stop you get more consistent follow through because you are not hammering at a solid wall. This goes against my traditional views of trigger construction but in practice I have noticed there might be something to it. For example, I don't like to admit it to any Winchester failing but for some reason I always shoot my Anschutz better than my old 52C, even though the C had the best single stage trigger I have ever used. I just never did do well with it for some reason.

Who knows, maybe the Germans know what they are doing. :D
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

I don't like having the over travel stop at all. I had it on one of my rifles and had to just remove that set screw. Like SqHunter said I don't like hitting that solid wall behind my trigger pull. I like my trigger to continue moving a bit so its still moving freely as the bullet exits instead of my hitting the back end and moving the gun (on a bad trigger pull) as the bullet exits.
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.