Making weight

This is what we do.
Drymartini
Unclassified Poster

Making weight

Post by Drymartini »

Ok guy. I've heard and read that THE Anchutz 1712 is the BEST rifle for serious shilloutte shooters becuase it is designed specifically for shilloutte and is very accurate and can be used in both classes.

Anchutz north america specs the rifle at 7lbs 3oz.

I also hear and read that leupold or Weaver scopes with up to 20-25 variable power are THE SCOPES for shilloutte.

Websites put them at 14-16 oz depending on options knobs and whatnot.

According to my math that puts the rig at 8 lbs 2oz without bases and rings.

So the question is how do you make hunter weight with THE scopes and THE rifle that everybody says they have.? Do you shorten the barrel a couple inches?
jloehle
B Poster
B Poster

Re: Making weight

Post by jloehle »

You still have 6 ozs to go. BKL rings are 3 ozs.

A lot of people change out their stock to a custom silhouette fiberglass one which lightens the rifle. Then you can customize the weight balance for yourself (forward or back) with small lead weights.

Joe
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

If you're over weight and not wanting to replace the stock, you can just remove some weight from the stock beneath the barrel or in the buttstock depending on how you want it to balance.
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

FYI:
A cubic inch of WOOD (avg.) weighs .5oz You have to remove a lot of WOOD to accomplish any large weight reduction. Removing the butt plate and replacing with something else and aluminum screws is a better way to go.
ppkny
ywltzucanrknrl
A Poster
A Poster

Post by ywltzucanrknrl »

Just my opinion and experience, but the last thing you want to do is cut the barrel. A lot of barrels shoot well because they are tight at the muzzle, they are made that way on purpose. If you cut the barrel there is a chance the rifle will not shoot as well. If you decide to cut a barrel, slug it or have someone slug it before you cut it.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

I guess my 1712 got lost in the shuffle. High rings and 6.5x20 scope with the Premier bump only weighs 7 1/2 lbs. I do have to admit I didn't paint the stock and I have a piece of a flip-flop for a butt pad.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Jerry G wrote:I guess my 1712 got lost in the shuffle. High rings and 6.5x20 scope with the Premier bump only weighs 7 1/2 lbs. I do have to admit I didn't paint the stock and I have a piece of a flip-flop for a butt pad.
Wow, that seems light. It must be the bright pink flip-flop butt pad.
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

I didn't want to seem to "Rube Goldberg" but I also put on a 'flip-flop' butt pad.
ppkny
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

I suppose that carbon fiber stock might help too. The flip-flop is grey on my 22 and tan on my full bore. They grab a suede vest like glue. :-bd
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

ppkny wrote:FYI:
A cubic inch of WOOD (avg.) weighs .5oz You have to remove a lot of WOOD to accomplish any large weight reduction. Removing the butt plate and replacing with something else and aluminum screws is a better way to go.
ppkny
That figure will vary based on species of wood and moisture, but yeah it's not much. With the way it looks, he shouldn't be over weight, but if so, .5 or so more ounces should be enough to tip the scale.

That being said, a half inch hole from behind the buttplate towards the receiver for about 4 inches and a half inch deep and wide channel beneath the barrel can lighten a stock over half a pound easily. Nothing unsightly and nothing anyone without some patience a dremel tool can't do.
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Well I'm finding it hard to believe that a 1712, with BLK rings and a Leupold 6.5x20 EFR will not make weight. I've had a few and that was never an issue.

Drymartini, Before you go to great lengths get the rifle and your set up and weight it.
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

It's been awhile since I weighed a new Anschutz 1712, but like 259 says they'll scare you, but with the right scope and rings, they'll make weight. A Leupold FX3 25x40 will save you a few ounces if needed, but a 1712 with BKL rings and a Leupold VX3 6.5-20x40 has been the benchmark smallbore silhouette rifle for quite a few years now.
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis