Conforming stock question

This is what we do.
SteveD
AA Poster
AA Poster

Conforming stock question

Post by SteveD »

I am posting this in the Smallbore sub-forum since there seems to be more activity here although the responses would apply equally to HP

I am looking for a list of stocks to which a Remington 700/40X or clone action that conform to NRA rules can be mounted.

I shot HP and SB Rifle Silhouette some years ago. I have been out of the game for a while and am looking to get back in.

I had 40X’s for both HP and SB (I shot Standard Rifle only and not Hunter.) with McMillan stocks and was never all that comfortable with the stocks. Not sure what model they were, probably what McMillan calls the ‘Classic’. I often wondered about other stock configurations but since mine were glued in it was not practical to switch them around. I am especially interested in thumb hole and pistol type grip stocks.

I may also look stocks that are non-conforming in that they are have adjustable cheek piece and/or butts that could be fixed in place per NRA rules once I get things dialed in I will. A list of those type of stocks would be appreciated also.

So, to state clearly what I am looking for is two lists:

1. Stocks that will fit a Remington 700/40X/clone that conform to NRA Silhouette rules for Standard Rifle.

2. Stocks that will fit a Remington 700/40X/clone that are adjustable for cheek piece, butt stock or otherwise that can be made to conform to NRA rules by modification or causing them to be “fixed and sealed in place”. This list might also include stocks that can be modified such as reducing the width of the forearm or reducing the weight.

Thanks!
SteveD
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Conforming stock question

Post by SteveD »

Perhaps rather than a list you could post stocks that you know are within the NRA rules. Alternatively name a stock or stocks that could be made legal and give the modifications required such as 'fix and seal in place the adjustable cheek piece'.

Here is what I have found so far:

Robertson Composites "Silhouette"
Robertson Composites "T3 Silhouette"

Some Googling says that Robertson might not be making stocks any more.

Here is the list I am building. If you know that a particular stock I have on the list does not meet NRA rules, please let me know.

Mcmillan Anschutz Silhouette
Mcmillan Master Silhouette

H-S Precision PSC028
H-S Precision PSS120

I will update the list as needed.