Unicorn Horn?

This is what we do.
SteveD
AA Poster
AA Poster

Unicorn Horn?

Post by SteveD »

Still searching for possibilities for a left handed Standard Smallbore Rifle stock for a right handed Rem 700 action.

McMillan lists an Anschutz Silhouette as available in a left handed shooter/right handed Rem 700 action configuration. I have hit Google pretty hard but I can't find a pic or even a mention of one other than on the McMillan site.

Has anyone actually seen or used one?

Can anyone send me a link to info and/or a pic on one inletted for a Rem 700/clone action?

Thanks!
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Unicorn Horn?

Post by OldRanger »

I think Steve Wooster, Evilio or Mark Pharr have stocks that you are looking for. I had Steve make me a left handed stock for my right handed 1712. I know he makes high power stocks and have seen his right handed ones for rem 700 actions, but not his lefties. I don't think anyone other than McMillian will have those stocks in stock.
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
SteveD
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by SteveD »

Appreciate the reply.

Do you have links or contact info to any of those people/sites?

Thanks,

Steve
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

Mark Pharr : http://www.tumbleweedsrifles.com/Accessories.html

Steve Wooster (I'm spelling out stuff to protect his privacy from bots scooping addresses):sdwooster at msn dot com

Evilio: He is/was a sponsor of this site. Do a search here and maybe you can get his contact info. He used to respond to things here occasionally but I don't know how active he is.

P.S. also there is a guy named Pat on this site that is a lefty and has a wonderful assortment of great proper handed guns.
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

I seem to remember a gentlman name Wayne Merrier who is suppose to make a quality silhouette stock. I believe it is called Wayne Riflestocks.
Just another option.
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Wayne and Steve are both left handed and they both make great stocks.

Mary
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
psteiger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by psteiger »

Wayne makes a stock, Steve has a couple styles. Treebone makes a left handed, uninletted Pharr stock in wood. HS Precision makes a couple that might work, and they used to make a dedicated lefthanded silhouette stock. I have a McMillan Anschutz lefty, good stock. Best bet is to go to a smallbore match and try one or two if there are any in your area. I actually prefer Steve Wooster's original as it fits me better. My face is too fat for Wayne's stock, but I have a friend who absolutely loves his. Richards Microfit will make you a wood stock too. I'm sure there are other makers like Doan Trevor and Canyon Creek. All are reputable people. Expect up to a year wait depending on who you go with.
SteveD
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by SteveD »

Thanks for all the replies. I will try to work my way through them and post information in this thread. Please post pix if you can.

The H-S Precision 'Anschutz style' stock has an ambi (and really fat) palm swell and grip but the cheek piece is for right handed shooter which is kinda weird. It doesn't look as though they make one that is truly for a left handed shooter and at 2.6 pounds it might be difficult to make weight.

Any pix of a McMillan Anschutz Silhouette stock for a left hand shooter (in right hand action or not) in the wild would be greatly appreciated.
Bigfoot
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Bigfoot »

Steve just a crazy thought. Steve Wooster is a lefty like you. I'm not sure if you're planning on going to nationals this July in Raton NM but if you are he'd be glad to let you try out both his hunter and standard stock.

I own three of them (hp and small bore) and think they're the bees knees. Nothing against the other guys but thought it was worth mentioning due to the lefty thing.

Happy shooting!

**== :ymcowboy: **==
Res ipsa loquitur
shakes
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by shakes »

Steve are you looking for a thumbhole or something with a high comb? I have one of Steve W's stocks in left hand for a 700 right handed action in blue. I can post some pics if interested. It's a hunter stock with a high comb.
"The bench proves the rifle, standing proves the man" Harry Pope. 6.5's for LIFE
SteveD
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by SteveD »

Sorry for the slow reply, I just saw your post.

I have never been able to try either a thumbhole or an Anschutz style but both look interesting. When I shot Silhouette before I used a McMillan "Remington Classic" and never could get comfortable with my left hand/arm/elbow position. The McMillan looks like this.

The Anschutz style allows for a lower and more vertical left (trigger) hand position which would seem to prompt a lower left arm/elbow position. It would seem that a thumbhole grip would allow an even lower left arm/elbow position.

The McMillan Anschutz Silhouette looks interesting. I am hoping to see one in the wild.

I would like to try a high comb stock. Please post pix of the one you have.

I snagged a stock like this:

I don't expect to be able to make weight with it and I will need to reduce the depth and probably the width of the forearm to be legal. I saw pic of one where the buttstock had be skeletonized.

I only wish I had the woodworking skills to do something like this. I do however have a dremel and no shame when it come to carving up something to experiment with.

Thanks,

Steve
SteveD
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by SteveD »

Bigfoot wrote:Steve just a crazy thought. Steve Wooster is a lefty like you. I'm not sure if you're planning on going to nationals this July in Raton NM but if you are he'd be glad to let you try out both his hunter and standard stock.
Unfortunately I have another commitment for that weekend.

I was able to talk to Evelio. He will skeletonize the wood Anschutz stock to reduce the weight and modify to forearm depth and width to make it conforming to the rules. He will also inlet it and pillar bed it.

I don't think that this solution will work for High Power. I would have concerns about the strength of the stock
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Buy a light composite. You don't gain much by taking away wood and the stock becomes very week. A good carbon fiber is the way to go.
SteveD
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by SteveD »

If only it was that simple. Perhaps you forgot that I need a stock for a left handed shooter, right handed action. That was the point of this thread, where to find such a thing.

The ONLY left/right light composite stock I have found is the McMillan Anschutz Silhouette and its not carbon fiber. I called them Friday, that is not something they stock. They quoted 12 to 14 weeks but it is not guaranteed. That is the choice for a HP rifle though.

Thanks to all that made suggestions. Pharr lists wood stocks on his website which Jerry just said is a problem. Wayne Riflestocks had no Silhouette stocks listed. The H-S Precision Silhouette stock is heavy and it is 'ambi' which means that it fits neither left nor right handers well. The email address for Wooster bounced. Treebone makes wood stocks, see above. Evelio is doing the work on this one. No one has them on the shelf that I can find.
SteveD
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by SteveD »

Here is pic of a Left handed shooter, Right handed action McMillan Anschutz Silhouette stock in the wild.

They do exit!!!
Anschutz Silhouette 90 1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.