1712 action barrel combo?

This is what we do.
alan
B Poster
B Poster

1712 action barrel combo?

Post by alan »

Howdy,

Sporter actions available today thru Anschutz of North America...

1712 21.5" barrel

1712g 18" barrel

is one more accurate that the other at the rams?

if the 21.5 rig is more accurate then the 18 inch rig will the 1710 23"rig be more accurate than the 21.5 rig at same ram distance?

Thanks Alan
ter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: 1712 action barrel combo?

Post by ter »

Generally the powder will be burnt by 16 inches or so, so length has little to do with burn in the lengths you listed. Accuracy is enhanced by a longer barrel using peep sights if your vision is up to the task. This enhanced accuracy to focal length goes away with a scope. So in short, any length will be with in factory barrel to barrel differences. As a rule of thumb you are better off with a Lilja or other custom barrel if you are looking for the best accuracy. All my custom barrels out shoot my standard Anschutz barrels. Not a really big deal for silhouette, but if we are talking barrel accuracy, custom is a better bet.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

Weight and weight placement. Not accuracy.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Short bbl would be more accurate assuming all else is equal. Weighting the stock forward takes care of the balance problem.

If you are going to Canada with it, make sure it is a hair over 18 inches long.
alan
B Poster
B Poster

Post by alan »

The 18"er is the 1712G which is new from ANA (guessing here) new to me anyway.
Yeah, I get the balance advantage, accuracy was my concern. My local source confirmed 18 " was good to go as well. so.
Now to find out if the 23" 1710 wearing the feather weight stock and 6.5x20 leupold will make weight. I like the added pluses of the open sights.

Anyone know?

OBTW local go to gun guy mentioned same balance issue with shorter barrel...I am pretty imbalanced as it is :)

Alan :-*
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

When you say featherweight stock, and you referring to the McMillan Anschutz Sporter? If you are then the answer is yes, a 1710 so stocked makes weight with that scope. I had one for my first silhouette rifle, only sold it because I did not like the trigger. That was seven years ago though, so you might want to confirm if the barrel contour has changed since then.

I forgot to add that I made weight with aluminum rings, I think BKLs, but they might have been Wayne Merrier rings and bases too. Either way the weight of the rings is something to keep in mind.
Last edited by SqHunter on Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
alan
B Poster
B Poster

Post by alan »

SqHunter wrote:When you say featherweight stock, and you referring to the McMillan Anschutz Sporter? If you are then the answer is yes, a 1710 so stocked makes weight with that scope. I had one for my first silhouette rifle, only sold it because I did not like the trigger. That was seven years ago though, so you might want to confirm if the barrel contour has changed since then.

Yes, McMillan Sporter feather weight stock. Will check on the barrel contour. Thanks good to know.

Alan
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

alan wrote:
SqHunter wrote:When you say featherweight stock, and you referring to the McMillan Anschutz Sporter? If you are then the answer is yes, a 1710 so stocked makes weight with that scope. I had one for my first silhouette rifle, only sold it because I did not like the trigger. That was seven years ago though, so you might want to confirm if the barrel contour has changed since then.

Yes, McMillan Sporter feather weight stock. Will check on the barrel contour. Thanks good to know.

Alan
I have a custom 54 sporter in the McMillan stock that weighs 8 lbs 2 oz with a little heavier scope and a 19" Lilja barrel. It is my squirrel rifle and a back up silhouette rifle. I hope you like yours as much as I like mine.
alan
B Poster
B Poster

Post by alan »

I have a custom 54 sporter in the McMillan stock that weighs 8 lbs 2 oz with a little heavier scope and a 19" Lilja barrel. It is my squirrel rifle and a back up silhouette rifle. I hope you like yours as much as I like mine.[/quote]

Odd, I have one in 54msr with a carbon edge Mcmillan stock as well, looking for a stable mate I suppose. Mine still has stock barrel. Still stewing on the decision, the 54 actions with a sporter barrel they have made available are interesting just prefer not to mess with custom shops far to much headache if only there was a drop in sporter stock that would be beneficial. Hence the idea of the 1712 barrel and actions. My attempt at a couple Mark Pharr stock's sight unseen and having it pilar beded it was ok but the stock's were high gloss black. Not a fan of high gloss, sold them off one action and all...I like the featherweight 1712 stock, more than likely will go the 1712 I just have this little voice telling me to go for the 54msr action and deal with it... :ympeace:

Alan
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

Be aware that the 54 MSR Sporter has a different bedding screw arrangement, and the rear profile of the tang is slightly different too. I have a new one in a S. Wooster stock and it will not fit in my 54 Sporter stock at all, even though they both have the 1712 type recoil lug.
alan
B Poster
B Poster

Post by alan »

Yeah, I heard of the alignment problem through the Anshutz the forewarn quite well. I will need to ask McM if they can design their shorter to fit or fit it for me. The I would prefer the have it made to fit as sending action back and forth is a hassle. Anyway.
How about the fortner action? that looks the bomb, unclear if they could message a Sporter stock to get that baby in, that would make quite a fancy squirrel gun I imagine the follow up shot time would be reduced...:)

Alan
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

alan wrote:Yeah, I heard of the alignment problem through the Anshutz the forewarn quite well. I will need to ask McM if they can design their shorter to fit or fit it for me. The I would prefer the have it made to fit as sending action back and forth is a hassle. Anyway.
How about the fortner action? that looks the bomb, unclear if they could message a Sporter stock to get that baby in, that would make quite a fancy squirrel gun I imagine the follow up shot time would be reduced...:)

Alan
If you carry a custom fortner squirrel rifle into the woods the squirrels will come down out of the trees bowing in awe. :)