Why is this 40X Different?

This is what we do.
Smed31
B Poster
B Poster

Why is this 40X Different?

Post by Smed31 »

Hello, hopefully you can see the attached file, the rifle with the better finish came from the CMP as is. It differs from the others I have in that it has the nicer finish, has a knurled bolt handle, and has a larger, nicer safety. It is simply marked 40X like the others. Just something custom the armorers did or from the factory? Thanks.
Smed31
B Poster
B Poster

Re: Why is this 40X Different?

Post by Smed31 »

Try it again.
xpilot
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by xpilot »

Hard to see the difference... ;)
ter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ter »

There were two actions for the 40X. 722 action type with the round bolt knobs, and the 700 action with the knurled back swept bolt knobs like current 700 rifles. Of course you can find them with mixed parts. I think the 700 style dates 1962 and up.
Smed31
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Smed31 »

Yeah. I thought uploaded photos but for whatever reason they never appeared.

Thanks for your response Ter.
Smed31
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Smed31 »

http://i.imgur.com/d5Vx9p7.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/bwQYkT1.jpg

Ok, I think I figured out the picture thing.
Boyd L.
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Boyd L. »

Smed31 wrote:Hello, hopefully you can see the attached file, the rifle with the better finish came from the CMP as is. It differs from the others I have in that it has the nicer finish, has a knurled bolt handle, and has a larger, nicer safety. It is simply marked 40X like the others. Just something custom the armorers did or from the factory? Thanks.
I am speculating but the government orders usually specify an oil finish=basic, effective, cheap.
IF that rifle indeed was in the inventory of the CMP, I think a unit armorer or perhaps a shooter it was issued to took it upon themselves to strip the mud and axle grease inspired oil and refinish.