Two stage trigger for 54 Sporter

This is what we do.
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Two stage trigger for 54 Sporter

Post by SqHunter »

Does anybody know what model of two stage trigger was used for the '70s era silhouette rifles? I have a custom rifle on a '73 54 Sporter and would like a two stage trigger for it. I have tried having a 5022 trigger installed but there was not enough sear engagement for it to work. It is milled for the boss though.

Thanks!
ter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Two stage trigger for 54 Sporter

Post by ter »

I think there was a set trigger, but not a two stage.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

How about Neil at ISS? Maybe he can help you?
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

I did call Neil but he didn't know, claimed to not know much about sporters. I have emailed Anschutz USA too but my impression is they don't want to deal with the older rifles.

Anybody know if a 1407-U9 can be fitted?
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Call Mark Pharr. I have a 1413 from the same era that Mark built into a RTS hunter rifle with a new 5022 trigger group. I can see that he milled a slot into the receiver but I cannot determine if he modified anything else to make the modern trigger group work. It is subtle if he did. The beauty of this setup is that he removes the trigger safety. Since these rifles have a wing safety, the trigger safety would be redundant. Without the trigger safety blocking the way, direct access to the important parts of the trigger group that need to be cleaned and lubricated is possible. I bought this rifle from a friend so I have not talked to Mark about how he made it work. Evelio may be doing the same modifications. You could check with him also.
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

atomicbrh wrote:Call Mark Pharr. I have a 1413 from the same era that Mark built into a RTS hunter rifle with a new 5022 trigger group. I can see that he milled a slot into the receiver but I cannot determine if he modified anything else to make the modern trigger group work. It is subtle if he did. The beauty of this setup is that he removes the trigger safety. Since these rifles have a wing safety, the trigger safety would be redundant. Without the trigger safety blocking the way, direct access to the important parts of the trigger group that need to be cleaned and lubricated is possible. I bought this rifle from a friend so I have not talked to Mark about how he made it work. Evelio may be doing the same modifications. You could check with him also.
That is interesting to know, as Mark built the rifle originally. I wish I had thought to ask him about the modification back then, but that was a different gunsmith at a later time.

How did he handle the rear trigger screw hole? Did he redrill it closer to the sear, or did he make a carrier? That is where the other guy really messed up. Thanks again!
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

atomicbrh wrote:Call Mark Pharr. I have a 1413 from the same era that Mark built into a RTS hunter rifle with a new 5022 trigger group. I can see that he milled a slot into the receiver but I cannot determine if he modified anything else to make the modern trigger group work. It is subtle if he did. The beauty of this setup is that he removes the trigger safety. Since these rifles have a wing safety, the trigger safety would be redundant. Without the trigger safety blocking the way, direct access to the important parts of the trigger group that need to be cleaned and lubricated is possible. I bought this rifle from a friend so I have not talked to Mark about how he made it work. Evelio may be doing the same modifications. You could check with him also.
You wouldn't have a picture of this conversion, would you? Mark didn't want the job and I don't know how to make the carrier.

Thanks!
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Sorry, no pictures due to slow internet connections out here in a rural area. No fancy cell phone either to take pictures. If you see me at a match, I will take it apart after shoot-offs the last day so that you can take a picture of it. I will be easy to find. The rifle looks like a 56 Chevrolet 2 door. 56 Chevrolet Green with bowties on the forearm and "Mr. Shakey" on the heel of the grip. I bought it used. I am not crazy enough about 56 Chevies to have a rifle built that looks like one.
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

atomicbrh wrote:Sorry, no pictures due to slow internet connections out here in a rural area. No fancy cell phone either to take pictures. If you see me at a match, I will take it apart after shoot-offs the last day so that you can take a picture of it. I will be easy to find. The rifle looks like a 56 Chevrolet 2 door. 56 Chevrolet Green with bowties on the forearm and "Mr. Shakey" on the heel of the grip. I bought it used. I am not crazy enough about 56 Chevies to have a rifle built that looks like one.
That is awesome to contemplate, a 56 Chevy rifle? I had a bright orange rifle last year that I had bought used, who would do that to a fine rifle? Target shooters are a crazy bunch!

Hope to see you at the range some time!