Mark Pharr stock-What do you think of them?

This is what we do.
dan2116
B Poster
B Poster

Mark Pharr stock-What do you think of them?

Post by dan2116 »

I'm looing at a new silhouette synthetic stock for my Anschutz 22lr and wanted to know about the Pharr stock. I know there expensive so are they worth it? I live in the north end of California and have not seen one.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: Mark Pharr stock-What do you think of them?

Post by Jerry G »

The Wooster and Pharr stocks are great. I have one of each. :-bd
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Jerry G wrote:The Wooster and Pharr stocks are great. I have one of each. :-bd

Hey Jerry, what is your opinion of Merrier stocks? Any experience with them?
ter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ter »

The Wooster fits me, I have two pharrs and they feel too exaggerated. I actually prefer the 1712 stock to the Pharr, but it is all personal preference.
Ghostofwar
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ghostofwar »

DavidABQ, I have a CZ with Merier right now that he is putting in one of his stocks. Once I get it back I'll do a full review. The initial impression is that it is just a slightly modified Pharr stock but he does have a few improvements to the stock that I like. He drills holes in the bottom of the barrel channel and in the butt for placing lead weights in. This allows you to adjust the balance of the rifle the way you want. The belly of the stock is also tall enough to make the CZ mags flush with the bottom of the stock. That's a big plus in my book.

The Pharr stock is also very nice. They seem to fit me very well so I like them. I've had a couple over the years. They seem to be a little higher quality and they price reflects that. It's all about how the stock fits you. I actually went to Merier's shop to get fitted for the stock. I wanted to make sure the trigger reach was just right since the trigger blade position isn't adjustable like on an Anschutz.
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

I have had at least one of all of those mentioned but prefer the Wooster. The grip on the Wooster stock is not as defined as the Pharr or Merrier, but there is more cast-off to the buttstock which I need for proper head position. It also helps that Steve is pleasant to work with.

Mr. Merrier will build them however you want them, but in my case to make weight with a Winchester it was so light as to be flimsy. This was not his fault entirely, I should not have tried to make a Hunter rifle out of my old C. However, it was a striking contrast to my first Roberston Composite Pharr which was very stiff. In my opinion they were the best made of the silhouette stocks. The grip on the Merrier is better shaped for me though, and I really liked the shelf at the bottom to rest your hand on.

All of them are an excellent improvement over the factory stocks, you really can't go wrong. Just make sure to get the right length of pull and also the right trigger placement. Both Steve and Wayne sent try stocks to measure this with, which I appreciated. You will also need to experiment with scope height, in my case I had to go very high with the Merrier but can shoot reasonable low with the Wooster. I don't remember what I had scope height set at on the Pharr stocks but believe it was somewhere between the other two.

All that said, I have a Tumbleweed's built rifle in a McMillan light sporter stock that is the most accurate rifle I have ever fired. It is simply amazing. It has been stolen though, my wife shot her best score ever this weekend with it and has not let it out of her sight since :mrgreen:
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Dave, I have no experience with them at all.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Jerry G wrote:Dave, I have no experience with them at all.
I was interested in an individual's opinion who had experience with all three.

Two out of three is not bad.
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

DavidABQ wrote:
Jerry G wrote:Dave, I have no experience with them at all.
I was interested in an individual's opinion who had experience with all three.

Two out of three is not bad.
Be careful, they are an expensive habit :)
bjkramer
B Poster
B Poster

Post by bjkramer »

For the standard rifle I like the Anschutz Silhouette by McMillan. The Pharr stock is outstanding in workmanship, well designed and fits the hand and cheek. Have you considered a used Kimber HS? The HS stock fits me perfectly and the entire gun is designed for silhouette.
dan2116
B Poster
B Poster

Post by dan2116 »

They are nice rifles . What are the triggers like on the Kimber HS 22. Can they be set below 1lb weight of pull
bjkramer
B Poster
B Poster

Post by bjkramer »

My Kimber HS has an excellent trigger pull for hunter class. I never tried to change the factory pull weight. You may want to check Rimfire Central. Someone on the Kimber page may have more information.