Best / Favorite book for Rifle Shooting.

This is what we do.
Jetmugg
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Best / Favorite book for Rifle Shooting.

Post by Jetmugg »

What's your favorite book to study for improving one's rifle shooting?

SteveM.
Kess
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Kess »

My vote for an excellent text on rifle shooting is Jim Carmichel's BOOK OF THE RIFLE. Jim, longtime shooting editor of OutdoorLife, succeeded Jack O'Conner in '71 at that job. Folks know him among many things, as an NRA director and participant in a number of nat'l silhouette matches. A very knowledgable and personable guy, his book covers rifle shooting in a comprehensive, yet entertaining manner. First published in '85, it was and, IMO, remains a classic. Additionally, there are a number of excellent books out there detailing specific disciplines/techniques. It will be interesting to read posts of other's favorite books. Hey Nomad, as a writer yourself, chime in.
Kess
eeleater
B Poster
B Poster

Post by eeleater »

Given that I know you are already a good shot and want to improve- and are asking on this forum...

I would first suggest Ways fo the Rifle by Buhlmann, Reinkemeier and Ekhardt, translaterd from German by Bill Murray. published by MEC ISBN 3-00-009478-4 MEC Dortmund.

This book covers 22 three position shooting and Air rifle. It has many pictures, diagrams. It shows not just what you want to do- but explains the "why". It features many pictures related to form and different body types- for both men and women. This book is oreinted to the serious shooter. Every time I look it over I notice something I had not recognised the significance of before.

The other book I would suggest is David Tubbs books on highpower rifle shooting. I only have the most recent one. It talks some about silhouette- but much of what he says applies to all types of shooting.[/u]
mordecai
Forum Fiddler
Forum Fiddler

Post by mordecai »

Great thread. Let's hear what's out there for us newbies....
ImageImage
jneihouse
Distinguished Master Poster

Post by jneihouse »

I know it's been posted before, but some of the newer folks may have missed it. One of the best reads for a beginning shooter IMHO.

Johnhttp://search.netcenter.netscape.com/nctr/boomframe.jsp?query=secrets+of+the+silo+masters&page=1&offset=0&result_url=redir%3Fsrc%3Dwebsearch%26requestId%3Dcb8236533104dfbf%26clickedItemRank%3D1%26userQuery%3Dsecrets%2Bof%2Bthe%2Bsilo%2Bmasters%26clickedItemURN%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.gun-tests.com%252Fperformance%252Faug96secrets.html%26invocationType%3D-%26fromPage%3DNS8BrowserRoll%26amp%3BampTest%3D1&remove_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gun-tests.com%2Fperformance%2Faug96secrets.html
Commander in Chief, F Troop
jneihouse

Post by jneihouse »

Commander in Chief, F Troop
ajj
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ajj »

"Ways of the Rifle" for technical explanations and some discussion of the mental game interspersed. It's expensive and a great deal of it is devoted to prone and kneeling but still the best.
"With Winning in Mind" by Lanny Bassham is still the classic on mental training. If we actually did the things he recommends...Coach Pullam's "New Position Rifle Shooting" is definitely worthwhile. Lots of time given to psychological evaluation, maybe a little too much. (I could have used a little less analysis and a little more "solutions.")
Tubb's "Highpower Rifle" is certinly worthwhile. Haven't seen the new edition.
"Schiessport Schule Dialogues" is worth looking for. I think Volume 1 is the better of the two but maybe it's just because Lones Wigger autographed my copy. I googled it just now and looks like Champion Shooters Supply has Volume II.