Snap caps

This is what we do.
jaja
B Poster
B Poster

Snap caps

Post by jaja »

I have an Anschutz 1808 MSR and would like to dry fire the rifle to see the kinds of mistakes I'm making when I shoot silhouette. After attending a silhouette shoot today I learned about snap caps. Are these safe to use in my rifle? One guy told me Tipton snap caps were the best available? Any help regarding snap caps would be appreciated? Today was the fourth time I tried 22 silhouette. I shot 3 matches last year and today we had two 40-shot matches scoring 22 and 17, respectively. Quite a few guys outshot me today so I decided to make a real effort to find out the kinds of mistakes I'm making which in turn should help me raise my scores. I think dry firing the gun will help me see the kinds of mistakes I'm making without any recoil so that I can fix the problems that exist in my current shooting form. In any case, I would like to know what you all think about snap caps.
Boyd L.
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Snap caps

Post by Boyd L. »

#6 drywall anchors. Rotate after each "shot".
Varn
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Varn »

Your 1808 bolt is simple to field strip. Buy a dry firing pin and your good to go. Just remember to put the regular one back in before you go to a match. http://www.champchoice.com/store/Main.a ... tem=001227
jaja
B Poster
B Poster

Post by jaja »

Thanks Varn,
I never knew there was such a thing as a dry firing pin. How does it work in my 22lr Anschutz? What keeps the firing pin from denting the edge of the chamber?
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

I'm sure it's just shortened so it can not hit the barrel face but otherwise functions as usual.
Allen Corneau
frankmako
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by frankmako »

dry wall anchors is the cheapest way to go. a box will go a long way. the blue color 22 lr snap caps work but the firing pin eats up the rim fast. for the price of the shorten anschutz pin i can buy many boxes of dry wall anchors.
jaja
B Poster
B Poster

Post by jaja »

I saw the price of the dry firing pin and yes it is expensive. However, wouldn't the dry fire pin basically last a life time.
Varn
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Varn »

Yes it is shorter and it will last. The drywall anchors work as well it's just a pain to turn them each time.
jaja
B Poster
B Poster

Post by jaja »

Thanks for your help. I think I'll go with the dry firing pin. Now if I can only figure out how to take the bolt apart.
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

I was under the impression that the 54 actions were safe to dry fire? I don't own one so I don't know. My 64 ms doesn't hit the barrel so I dry fire a match at least once a week.
jaja
B Poster
B Poster

Post by jaja »

Does anyone know where I can find out how to field strip my Anschutz 1808 bolt?