spray grit?

This is what we do.
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

spray grit?

Post by SqHunter »

Has anyone used the spray grit from Brownell's? What does it feel like? I am looking for something to add a little better grip to my Wooster stock but do not want something overly harsh. Something similar to what Anschutz puts on its match rifles would be perfect.

Thanks!
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: spray grit?

Post by atomicbrh »

When I got the first Pharr rifle many years ago, I asked genphideaux who lives on the Gulf coast what to do about sweat and the slick finish on the stocks. He said if you shoot and dry-fire like you are supposed to, the slick finish will wear off where the person contacts the stock in no time.
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

That is funny. I asked one of the great silhouette smiths the same question years ago and was told to get a towl. Surely there is something better. Spray on bedliner, maybe?
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Yes, funny answer but genphideaux's answer was correct. In a few months time, slippery grip problems stopped. Glad now that I did not alter the stock's finish.
GTS
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTS »

Rust-Oleum makes a textured spray paint in a number of colors. I did a complete camo paint job on a squirrel rifle that turned out pretty nice. You might get a can and test it on something to see how it feels to you. I have had no issues with the paint wearing off, but then it is an occasional use rifle.
SteveD
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by SteveD »

I can't find a lot of specifics on this but it looks like a possibility.

https://www.lucidgrip.com/pages/about-us

The Rust-oleum textured spray paint looks good too.

Here is a material that can be added to paint to create a texture.

http://www.hcconcrete.com/products/shar ... _Additive/
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

Thanks for the replies, I will give one of them a try.

Would anyone happen to know if a Wooster stock can be stippled? I think it is too thin, but I also think something like a Robertson's composite could. Any ideas?
Boyd L.
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Boyd L. »

You can spray any epoxy based finish on the portion of your stock you want to "stipple" or increase "gripability" (not really a word) of, and apply a "grit" product such as sand or some other material to increase friction with your hands. Or you can visit you local bicycle/skateboard shop and buy some grip tape made for surfacing the deck of a skateboard. According to my acquaintances who use it, apply heat with a hairdryer to make it flexible and wrap appropriately.
SteveD
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by SteveD »

I stopped a couple of skateboarders on the street yesterday and checked out their grip tape on the surface of their boards. It seemed way too harsh to use for a rifle trip.
jeff59
B Poster
B Poster

Post by jeff59 »

Check out this: http://guntape.com/

My hands are very dry and it gives the right amount of grip without being harsh.

Jeff
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

Interesting stuff, thanks for the tips.
Boyd L.
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Boyd L. »

SteveD wrote:I stopped a couple of skateboarders on the street yesterday and checked out their grip tape on the surface of their boards. It seemed way too harsh to use for a rifle trip.
Interesting.

Stair tread tape is also available in rolls and sections/lengths similar to that of skateboard tape. It is a bit coarser than skateboard tape.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

I have two Pharr stocks that I've used for multiple years and they're still slippery compared to my Anschutz match rifles. I wish I could get pistol grips and cheekpieces like on my Anschutz 8002 air rifle were legal. Those are just wonderful. :)
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

SteveD wrote:I stopped a couple of skateboarders on the street yesterday and checked out their grip tape on the surface of their boards. It seemed way too harsh to use for a rifle trip.
I use it and it's not bad after a little use.

Also could use this..
http://www.creedmoorsports.com/product/ ... ccessories
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)