What kind of steel for Chickens

This is what we do.
SteveD
AA Poster
AA Poster

What kind of steel for Chickens

Post by SteveD »

If one were to make Chickens from steel plate, what kind of steel should be used?
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Re: What kind of steel for Chickens

Post by DavidABQ »

0.375" to 0.500" AR500 plate.
SteveD
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by SteveD »

Since I posted in the Smallbore section I thought that Smallbore would be assumed. 1/2" thick AR500 for Smallbore? Or were you answering for High Power?
Emietenkorte
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Emietenkorte »

I have a set of smallbore chickens made from 3/8" and 1/2" AR500 and they definitely do not take any damage. On edge hits that would normally knock over a 1/4" A36 chicken, those AR500 chickens just stand there and laugh at me. I tested some AR200 and it seems to stand up to standard velocity rounds with VERY minimal marks. 1/4" A36 and AR200 aren't too different in weight so it should't leave any standing on those edge hits and it will hold up very well against .22 SV.
SteveD
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by SteveD »

Thanks for the replies.

I asked the question the way I did in order to not bias the answers. I recently purchased a set of Chickens for practice that are make from 1/4" A36. After just a few sessions some of them were bent badly enough that I could see the distortion in the scope when sighting.

I was surprised at this and wanted to know if 1/4" A36 was used and this was just a bad batch of steel or if 1/4" A36 is not up to the task. Sounds like the latter.

The guy that made them agreed, after a few emails, to replace them with Chickens made from 1/4" AR500. They will be arriving today and I will give them a workout (hopefully LOL) tomorrow.

Is AR500 heavier than A36? I have been looking online for weights of each of these but not finding much.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

I am talking about smallbore.

I had a set made out of 1/4" mild steel. The animal started to bend around the mounting point and then started cracking. 1/4" stuff is fine for turkeys and rams, but the pigs will bend easily over time. The chickens will get damaged easily because of the frequency and the speed at which the bullet hits the chicken.
SteveD
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by SteveD »

Thanks David! I wasn't expecting the force of a 22 RF SV to be such an issue. Color me surprised.

The heads and tails were somewhat bent/curled. High hits off center (yeah, it happens LOL) were bending the Chickens backwards with some twisting.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

1/2 inch thick mild steel for SB chickens.

1/2 inch thick T-1 or AR-500 for HP chickens.
SteveD
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by SteveD »

Is 1/4" A
Jerry G wrote:1/2 inch thick mild steel for SB chickens.

1/2 inch thick T-1 or AR-500 for HP chickens.
I have never seen a 1/2" thick Chicken.

Is 1/4" A36 sufficient for Pigs?
mychippy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by mychippy »

Just a reminder that when you're talking about hardened steel, the building process matters a lot. If the chickens are being cut with CNC plasma without a water table, the chicken is so small I bet the heat ruins the hardened properties. Plasma with a water table would be better, and water jet would be better still. Likewise when the feet are attached they probably need to be TIG welded to minimize the heated area.
ShootingStar
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ShootingStar »

SteveD,
Just had to jump in for a couple points:
First, the rulebook says that Smallbore Chickens "...no less than 1/4" and no more than 1/2" for chickens." They never say what TYPE of steel and that's where the trick comes in on these guys (in all the game formats).

Second - If you buy the Ductile Cast Iron targets (from NCSilhouette dot com - used to be Ray's Targets), you won't have to worry about bending or breaking or welding for at least forever! They have a warranty on materials and workmanship for a lifetime! If shot will SV ammo at regulation distances they will last and last - just ask around! :-bd

ShootingStar aka Greg Chandler
sales at NCSilhouette.com
ter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ter »

I personally can't see making chickens when you can buy bomb proof cast ones for 5 bucks.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

ShootingStar wrote:SteveD,
Just had to jump in for a couple points:
First, the rulebook says that Smallbore Chickens "...no less than 1/4" and no more than 1/2" for chickens." They never say what TYPE of steel and that's where the trick comes in on these guys (in all the game formats).

Second - If you buy the Ductile Cast Iron targets (from NCSilhouette dot com - used to be Ray's Targets), you won't have to worry about bending or breaking or welding for at least forever! They have a warranty on materials and workmanship for a lifetime! If shot will SV ammo at regulation distances they will last and last - just ask around! :-bd

ShootingStar aka Greg Chandler
sales at NCSilhouette.com
You have convinced me. I need to head over to your website.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Tucson has 1 \" thick animals that we shoot when the wind is blowing hard. They all fall over when hit. We shot 1" thick rams and turkeys at the last shoot at 3 Points. There were no problems.

1/2" mild steel chickens and all the rest at 1/4" mild steel are just fine. 1/4" chickens seem to fly a long ways and they do get bent from all the impacts.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

SteveD,

A36 steel 1/4" thick is fine for silhouette animals if you miss almost all the time.

That explains why mine have lasted a long time.