Cut the Barrel?

This is what we do.
kd5zmg
AA Poster
AA Poster

Cut the Barrel?

Post by kd5zmg »

I currently have a 5418 Franken build. I find the rifle as a whole still too front heavy and it would be nice to chop 8 oz of weight from this rig. The Shilen Barrel length is 22 1/2" long. I was thinking about chopping it back 2 inches. If I do, is it possible to determine if that will degrade the precision of the rifle?
-Mark
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Re: Cut the Barrel?

Post by DavidABQ »

Of course it will ruin accuracy if it turns out to be true that Anschutz uses a choke point near the muzzle.

I cannot remember if you have a custom barrel on that rifle or not.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

I have been shooting silhouette for 16 years. The first few years I would have wanted to cut the barrel off to reduce front weight just like you. If you practice and shoot a few years you will want that front weight back. Practice and shoot the rifle frequently. You will soon enjoy that front weight. It will help reduce your wobble. Usually as a shooter develops they want a longer stock and more front weight than when they started.
SteveD
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by SteveD »

When you do your dry fire practice at home, add weight to the front of the rifle. You can buy weights with Velcro straps designed to wear on your wrist and fasten it around the forearm of your rifle. They have several removable weight packs inside to adjust the weight.
ywltzucanrknrl
A Poster
A Poster

Post by ywltzucanrknrl »

Have someone who knows how to slug a barrel slug it for you---if the barrel is tighter at the muzzle it's not a good idea not to cut it. You can try to shorten the length of pull to try to get the balance further back. If you can add weight, try adding some weight to the stock, but most people like to keep the muzzle heavy---in other words the balance forward of your support arm/hand. But how much weight forward is personal. I started out with very muzzle heavy rifles, but now that I'm older, I can shoot better scores, especially during the last part of long matches better with a rifle that has less muzzle weight, but still muzzle heavy. It does not hurt to experiment for sure, but cutting the barrel is permanent---you can always add some length to the stock if you cut it or take out the stock weight if it doesn't work.
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

If you need to, add some weight to the back, it will move you into standard but won't be permanent and you can see how you like it.
Last edited by thauglor on Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kd5zmg
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by kd5zmg »

I have only shot this rifle for about 2 months now. Yes, I do need to practice with it more and the more I do, the more I feel confident with its performance. I think the problem right now is that the total weight of the rifle is at 8 lbs 6.5 oz. Not much more weight to add. If I can move some of the front weight to the back so I can get more balance out of the rifle, then I might be happy with it.

I guess I should mention... I now have a real vest to shoot with, top grain leather just like everyone else that shoots semi-serious to serious. That does change the feel of the rifle, but if I want to add weight to the rear of the rifle, I will still need to move/remove some of that front weight so I can put weight in the back.

Fluting could be an option, but I am not convinced that fluting will remove the weight I need to put in the butt stock. Also, if I do go with another barrel, I may select a Lilja instead of another Shilen like what is on the rifle now.

Mark
-Mark
Zolt
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Zolt »

Most people add weight to their barrels. Adding weight to the barrel slows down the movement. Give it a chance if it is a shooter. Work out with ten pound weights (no bull).
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

I keep telling you Mark to come over to my place. I will fire up my cutting torch and we can shorten that barrel nice and easy.

I love cutting steel with fire!

\m/
kd5zmg
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by kd5zmg »

=))
-Mark
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

kd5zmg wrote:I currently have a 5418 Franken build. I find the rifle as a whole still too front heavy and it would be nice to chop 8 oz of weight from this rig. The Shilen Barrel length is 22 1/2" long. I was thinking about chopping it back 2 inches. If I do, is it possible to determine if that will degrade the precision of the rifle?
I have some personal experience that suggests not every rule of rifle fit is written in stone. For instance, I bought a used 5418 frankenhunter a couple of years ago with a nice heavy sporter benchmark barrel. It was built by the best and the previous owner had used successfully for years. Supposedly it was the ideal silhouette rifle in weight and balance. I liked the rifle and it shot well, however I always thought it was too muzzle heavy as it never held naturally for me. I sold the rifle and bought a very similar one this past winter, only the new rifle has a lighter factory sporter barrel...with the new "inferior" rifle I have managed to score a full 8 points higher per match this year and finally moved up in rank. Thus, I think ideal weight and balance is and individual thing.

As to cutting the barrel, you might suffer a decrease by cutting the choke out of a factory Anschutz barrel but there are exceptions too. I once had a hunter built from a Win 52 standard which was also supposed to be choked, but we had to cut it in length to make weight. When we did so it transformed into the most accurate factory barrel I have ever fired. I still thought it was too heavy, being roughly 0.72 at the muzzle if I remember right, so I ruined it by having it turned to a skinny sporter profile. If I could do it over I would have just shortened it two more inches and kept the magnificent old gal.

The short answer is this is a process, and you will need to try different combinations to find what works for you. Don't rush the process though, sometimes a person can grow into a rifle and learn to use it well. For the first five years of my marriage my wife hated my hunting rifle, saying all 54 actions were too heavy and would not use them. After she gained more experience she now competes with the very same rifle, and I am stuck trying to find a replacement before squirrel season. I am not sure exactly why the change of heart, it might have something to do with a better developed position or the appreciation of the consistent Lilja barrel, but she did get used to it.
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

You can get a lot of different opinions on this forum. Some are BS old wives tales from folks that just keep repeating the same old stuff and probably don't even shoot competitively.

Make that gun the way you like it. I have fought with a barrel heavy 22 for years before I got it to balance in my hand. I now like it better.

Make that gun do what you like and post the results.

If it's better than some may wan to try what you have done.

If it screws up something, post the results also so we won't make the same mistake.
Just Be Nice **==
kd5zmg
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by kd5zmg »

I am using this rifle for about 2-3 more matches this year, not including our local monthly social match. After September, I will probably use my CZ rifles for the monthly socials so I can send my 5418 Action to Twisted Barrels for fluting service. Marty is claiming ~.5lb of weight to remove from the front by fluting. I will then be able to add .25lb-.5lb of weight in the butt stock.

So that appears to be the plan for now. It is the most cost effective solution to replacing the barrel.

-Mark
-Mark
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

My barrel is fluted and I put weight in the butt stock. It's now finally balanced....but over weight for hunter class. I reduced the trigger and will only shoot it in standard. My wife has a rifle that will easily make hunter weight so we'll try both. Post what you find out so we can learn one way or another.
Just Be Nice **==
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

kd5zmg wrote: It is the most cost effective solution to replacing the barrel.

-Mark
@-)

I will not charge you anything to cut the barrel with my torch! You can't get any cheaper than that!