Scope question

This is what we do.
newpep
B Poster
B Poster

Scope question

Post by newpep »

I have been using the same rifle and scope for 2 years, CZ455 and Sightron 1/8 scope.
Recently I put some risers on the scope to get it higher.
When I went to the range to sight the scope in again I was surprised.
The scope had been set at zero for chickens, and for rams the setting was all the way up to zero again plus 2 clicks.
I am at the same range and same animal distances, so no change there, but the scope settings surprised me.
Yes, I was using a bench rest.
To hit the chickens, I had to go up to 2 on the turret (no big deal), so after checking the rest of the animals, I moved the turret so the chickens are again at zero.
I set the pigs and turkeys, but the setting for the rams now is at 6. The turret has numbers from 0 (zero) to 7.
How could the settings be so different? What could cause this?
Thanks
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Scope question

Post by thauglor »

A low scope zeroed at close range, can see the bullet go above the center of the scope axis and then drop back down into it as the bullet flies without hitting any target. The same zero but a higher scope, the bullet might not cross the center axis of the scope. This results in less elevation needed for longer range targets, ie rams.
newpep
B Poster
B Poster

Post by newpep »

I sort of understand now. Guess it is a good thing I don't work in the space program.
As long as I can hit the critters, that is what counts. I was just so surprised at the different settings.
Less chance of a pinwheel on the scope now, that is a good thing. ;)
Thanks again
kd5zmg
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by kd5zmg »

Interesting. I think it will change if you move the scope forward or back. Thank you for sharing, it kind of makes sense as to what happened... :-?
-Mark