Boyds Evolution or Tacitcool Stock

This is what we do.
kd5zmg
AA Poster
AA Poster

Boyds Evolution or Tacitcool Stock

Post by kd5zmg »

Apologies if this is a dumb question, but can these stocks be used in Smallbore Hunter class NRA matches or is it only allowed in the Smallbore Silhouette matches?

-Mark
-Mark
SteveD
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Boyds Evolution or Tacitcool Stock

Post by SteveD »

On the Boyds site the Evolution is described as a "thumbhole" stock. Thumbhole stocks are not permitted for Hunter class.

I don't see anything about the TactiCool stock that would prevent it from being used for Hunter class although a 2.85 lbs you would need to pay attention to weight to keep it to 9 pounds. I couldn't find any dimensions for the stock. The width of the forearm is limited to 2.25". It doesn't look to be too wide but you would want to check.
Evelio Mc Donald
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Evelio Mc Donald »

Steve, the max. weight for smallbore Hunter class is 8lbs. 8 ounces. The max. 9 lbs. weight for Hunter class is for High Power rifle only.
Evelio.
Evelio
kd5zmg
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by kd5zmg »

I have a sporter profile Feddersen barrel that would keep the weight down on the rifle, I think.

I'll swap it out and weigh it to see if it will work for fun.

-Mark
-Mark
kd5zmg
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by kd5zmg »

I should be working on my research paper for school... instead I am doing more fun stuff... so I swapped out the barrel and made the 11 oz trigger heavier, I brought it up to 2lb 2oz. Here is what I did:
  1. Swapped out the Feddersen Heavy bull barrel with the Fedderesen Sport Barrel.
  2. Changed out the Yo Dave lightest spring for the heaviest in the set and put the trigger at 2lbs 2oz.
  3. Prepped the Leupold VX2 6-18 scope to be used
If I have time next weekend to zero it I will so it can be used just in case, or if I feel like changing things up in a discipline where changes should be kept to a minimum... 8-}

-Mark
-Mark
kd5zmg
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by kd5zmg »

Evelio Mc Donald wrote:Steve, the max. weight for smallbore Hunter class is 8lbs. 8 ounces. The max. 9 lbs. weight for Hunter class is for High Power rifle only.
Evelio.
Per NRA Rules Summary from 2014:

Smallbore Rifle Max Weight it 10 lbs. 2oz.

My CZ 455 with Boyd's Tacticool stock, Fedderesen Sport Barrel, Leupold VX2 6-18 with BKL-257 MB ringmounts and steel magazine came in at 8lbs. 6.5oz. Good enough for both Smallbore Rifle and Smallbore Hunter Rifle class... I think.

-Mark
SteveD
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by SteveD »

That was quick. :)

Looks good.
kd5zmg
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by kd5zmg »

Thanks SteveD.

I am tempted to use it at the monthly social match and all day match in Hobbs next month.

However, I am starting to get used to the 5418 Super Hunter I used at Nationals this year. I replaced the factory trigger shoe on it and installed the one M. Pharr sent me and it feels like mine now.

I think the Tacticool Silhouette would be a decent shooter. It feels steady anyway.

-Mark
-Mark
SteveD
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by SteveD »

kd5zmg
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by kd5zmg »

SteveD wrote:This one Mark?

http://rim505.cinense.us/?page_id=118
Yes, that's it. It's a nice rifle and I'm probably gonna hold off on any modifications to it besides paint.

-Mark
-Mark