Smallbore Silhouette National first impressions

This is what we do.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Re: Smallbore Silhouette National first impressions

Post by dustinflint »

the Texas Highpower match is a good idea but Glenn wants to practice all winter. Glenn, since you are a Highpower shooter now, why don't you take a trip to the Missouri Highpower regional next year. It's an incredible match at the finest facility I've ever visited. It's about 8 hours from you. We can both drive there on Thursday and we'll meet at their Smallbore range on Friday morning and shoot the match. Then we can shoot Highpower all weekend.

That match is always on the third weekend in August so it'll give you just over a year to practice.

Dustin
kd5zmg
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by kd5zmg »

Thesnackbar wrote:While not a smallbore match, the Texas state high power match is right around the corner Sept. 16-18. Dustin will be there, we would love to have you as well Glen. Perhaps after the match on the first day we could set up some smallbore targets, in a time span of 15 minutes we could have a match-say 20 total targets each? While the rest of us enjoy libations you two could duel it out.
:)) :)) :)) =)) =)) =))

I would love to see the match and participate. But since I am one of those keyboard whatever's since I am in School, I'll have to pass this time. I also love a challenge, I think this would be fun.
-Mark
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

I think that Van Buren is a good smallbore place. It's only a few hours for each of us, The folks there are nice. Bob Cloninger and John are two of the nicest folks in any sport and I'll bet they can put on a heck of a rifle match like they did a few years ago. I'll gladly pay whatever match fee they ask for a spring/early summer match before the nationals.

Another dang 9

I think you are onto this and have a great idea. Everyone has a 3x9 scope. Why not limit the power to 9. That way the guys with the high power scopes can dial it down to " hunter" power.

Stock 22 gun, any weight, stock barrel, action etc. Balance the gun any way you need, dial the power down to 9 and let's do a vest free, hunter match. No classes if you like...just shoot.

Sounds good.

Now if there are any other real men out there I'd hope they would like to shoot this...or not. I understand . We can schedule it around the " young and the restless" marathon for you "guys" with man buns.
Just Be Nice **==
kd5zmg
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by kd5zmg »

glen ring wrote: Sounds good.

Now if there are any other real men out there I'd hope they would like to shoot this...or not. I understand . We can schedule it around the " young and the restless" marathon for you "guys" with man buns.
=)) =)) =))

No man buns here... shaved head for the' vatos ese representing 505.

What if the stock barrel is straight, like a bull barrel or fluted. Is that OK?
-Mark
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

Mark

Stock is stock. Fluted, bull doesn't matter. Shoot the darn thing. I know you are busy, but you need a break every now and then. I promise...PROMISE this match will be fun or I'll not drink beer with the Swedish bikini team after the match.
Just Be Nice **==
kd5zmg
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by kd5zmg »

glen ring wrote:Mark

Stock is stock. Fluted, bull doesn't matter. Shoot the darn thing. I know you are busy, but you need a break every now and then. I promise...PROMISE this match will be fun or I'll not drink beer with the Swedish bikini team after the match.
Hey the SBT was on Beerfest... :)) :)) :))
-Mark
44 mag
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by 44 mag »

Glenn not sure what you mean by waky states. I know if I want to shoot I don't care what states I have to drive through. I just go. But that is just me. You are missing a great opportunity to shoot at some very nice clubs. Just my opinion.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

This reminds me of the time Clark Williams pulled a bone stock nylon 66 with a very cheap 4 power scope out of a soft vinyl case and shot a master class score. I think he did it at Winnsboro to prove a point. Better go ahead and order that vest for Dustin.
kd5zmg
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by kd5zmg »

So how many animals are missed due to equipment and not skill? I think the 3 key equipment components to this sport is the rifle, ammo and clothing.

Skill is something we as shooters have control of. Equipment is what it is and if it doesn't shoot accurately, then the score gives. Master score in Hunter class starts at 32, that is 8 animals being thrown away. To me that is a considerable amount.
-Mark
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

Mike

I carry a gun. Even with federal and state permits, I KNOW to not go through certain states with a handgun. That's just wacky.

Keyboard warriors , either except the stock gun challenge or stay in your mother's basement tapping on the keys.

In my eyes, Dustin is the only MAN that accepted the challenge. Dustin, you do owe me a brick of ammo or whatever already. One little beer won't be that much more.

I arrived and competed at the nationals this year and really looked forward to seeing some of the keyboard warriors. None showed.

So...keyboard guys. No comments of yours will be taken seriously by me unless you show at the nationals with a stock gun. I would love to see you " put me in my place" . I'll be shooting a stock .22 with no vest.

Let's make it interesting. Scope power no higher than 9. Just like a hunting rifle.

Now everyone has a .22 critter getter that is stock and has a scope that goes to 9 power or less. Now everyone that has one of those , come shoot.
Just Be Nice **==
OnaginOffagin
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by OnaginOffagin »

yawn......
"Honor, Respect, Service, Humility....." (Lt. Gen. Hal Moore 1st Bn, 7th Cavalry)
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

I doubt I'll be able to make it to the nationals. I have a job and three kids from 10 to 15 years old with their own competitive activities that I don't want to miss any more than I have to. You evidently have your definition of what being a man is, and I have mine. I like mine better. I can go to the Iron Man in Montana instead and get to shoot both highpower and smallbore (possibly even cowboy lever action) and only have to take off Friday and Monday for driving to/from there. If I want to shoot highpower and smallbore at the nationals, I'd have to take a lot longer off of work and away from my family.

With that said, I'll take this challenge on Friday before the Iron Man if you can make it up there next June. Just to be clear, though, you need to be more precise on your "stock" rifle definition. As it is now, an Anschutz 54.18MSR with factory barrel and stock with a Leupold 6.5-20 EFR dialed down to 9X will qualify. That is a very common standard rifle rig that's shot by a lot of master class competitors. I actually have an 1808 repeater with a Sightron 6-24 SIL that I could just dial down to 9X and meet the rules that you have described here, but I think that would be against the spirit of the rules.

Even if I win, I have no desire to "put you in your place" unless that place is on the line with the rest of us at the Iron Man. I also have no intention of changing which rifle I shoot in the actual matches because of what someone at some keyboard wrote on this forum, as what comments get taken seriously by someone who I have never met in person at a keyboard don't really influence my decisions.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

[quote="kd5zmg"]

=)) =)) =))

[the/quote]

I can attest that Mark certainly does NOT have a man bun.

He really looks like a Philippine Shrek!
:shock:
kd5zmg
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by kd5zmg »

DavidABQ wrote:
kd5zmg wrote:
=)) =)) =))

[the/quote]

I can attest that Mark certainly does NOT have a man bun.

He really looks like a Philippine Shrek!
:shock:
Shrek? I wish I was as tall as Shrek... more like a bald headed Smurf... =))
-Mark
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Ok, a short Philippine Shrek. \m/