Smallbore Silhouette National first impressions

This is what we do.
kd5zmg
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Smallbore Silhouette National first impressions

Post by kd5zmg »

hugh wrote:.... It just wasn't fair. Ruined the whole event for me. We should have a rule against any gun worth more than $500. I'm just glad he wasn't wearing one of those high dollar, fancy cowboy hats.
:)) :)) :)) =)) =)) =))
-Mark
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

I think a couple of you have made my case...maybe inadvertently, but you helped. It's the shooter, not the rifle. I'm a AA shooter and I enjoy competition, maybe too much. I have been a competitor my entire life...a rabid one at times but now I'm getting old...hell I'm 60. So IF it's the shooter and not the equipment then why all the gidgets and doodads ? Why not have a stock class in smallbore. It is called HUNTER rifle isn't it ? It does and will help anyone that hunts be a better shooter when it comes time to kill an animal.

Nothing much gets me motivated anymore. I don't fight or run competitively anymore so I need a focus all winter to keep the competitive juices flowing and keep me in the gym. My young buds from my former profession know what I'm talking about and if you'd hear us poking fun at one another you'd think we weren't buds...even the women talk trash and it keeps us striving to be better.

So here goes. I WANT to shoot in the small bore and High power nationals next year and I want to beat someone that really wants to kick my old ass...so give me something to work out for. Motivation. I need a goal.

I challenge you young bucks ...and even old ones, to bring a stock rifle to the nationals . I'll take you on..no vest, no doodads, just us shooting against each other for bragging rights. If you can beat me I'll post here on SC that you are the man/woman that kicked my ass. If I beat you then you'll do the same. I made this challenge last year to a guy from Washington and to some guy that repairs Cb's or something in Texas and neither showed at the nationals. I was heartbroken and very disappointed. Dustin Flint may be right. It IS a competition so let's compete on a level playing field with a stock gun. I don't care what class you're in the gauntlet has been thrown at your feet. If you're going to reply with a bloviated reason(s) why you won't be there with a stock gun just keep your pie hole shut and go oil your vest . If you accept we may be new best friends and I'll have a reason to workout and shoot all winter. xoxoxoxoxoxxo
Just Be Nice **==
kd5zmg
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by kd5zmg »

Glen,

Define stock.
-Mark
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

glen ring wrote "Why not have a stock class in smallbore. It is called HUNTER rifle isn't it ?"

They started that way. Many people kept a copy of a catalog page in their gear box to prove it. The weight limit was lower then too. Way back when in Canada scopes were limited to 6 power and the turrets were taped so you couldn't dial the animal in. Hunter rifle is a class in SB and HP.

I still haven't been able to remember when the switch from light rifle to hunter rifle was made. I am thinking around 91 or 92.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

glen ring wrote: I challenge you young bucks ...and even old ones, to bring a stock rifle to the nationals . I'll take you on..no vest, no doodads, just us shooting against each other for bragging rights. If you can beat me I'll post here on SC that you are the man/woman that kicked my ass. If I beat you then you'll do the same.

It IS a competition so let's compete on a level playing field with a stock gun. I don't care what class you're in the gauntlet has been thrown at your feet.
Glenn,

I accept your challenge. I'll show up with a bone-stock rifle and no vest.

I propose two minor changes: First, not at Nationals - I can't go all the way to Pennsylvania or New Mexico for a national championship to play games. Let's do it somewhere else. How about I come to your home field and we do it at the Oklahoma smallbore state championship. When is it?

Second, let's have some higher stakes to make it interesting. If I win, you have to call Chris Winstead and order yourself a nice custom vest. You can set the terms at whatever you want if you win.

Looking forward to it.

Dustin
kd5zmg
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by kd5zmg »

All this for a vest. I think the vest makes a difference, no wait huge difference. Just buy the vest.

Also, bone stock rifle... does that mean no trigger work? does the barrel have to be tapered? What about scope? Are you going to shoot open sights at the 1/5th scale animals?

That's why I asked, define stock.
-Mark
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

I know what he means. I have at least three rifles that will fit the bill.

Dustin
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

Now that's more like it. That's the kind of guy/gal I'm accustomed to.

That's motivation young buck. There is no small bore state championship here. There is a monthly match in Tulsa. I accept, but I'll never buy a vest. I will shake your hand and take a pic of us with me holding your hand as the champion...OR you mine, and post it here.

Now I really respect a man that accepts a challenge Dustin and you have just moved several rungs up the ladder in my eyes..these other keyboard warriors I guess are keeping their tater traps shut for fear of losing to an old, fat, crippled grey haired man. Not you. I am ordering a Beman R7 in the morning for winter practice. I wasn't going to bother but will , now that I'm motivated.

Thanks for accepting...but don't EVER let me set the terms for my win !!! I'll commit to you buying me ONE cold beer and announcing , in my chosen establishment, that I beat you. I'll do the same with you and post this here.

Now I'm motivated and you appear to be the only real man that has posted on this thread.
Just Be Nice **==
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

kd5zmg wrote:All this for a vest. I think the vest makes a difference, no wait huge difference. Just buy the vest.

Also, bone stock rifle... does that mean no trigger work? does the barrel have to be tapered? What about scope? Are you going to shoot open sights at the 1/5th scale animals?

That's why I asked, define stock.

Mark,

If my memory serves me correctly Dustin here is the 2016 Smallbore Silhouette Hunter Rifle National Champion.

I suspect he can still shoot Master Class scores with a bone stock rifle.
kd5zmg
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by kd5zmg »

dustinflint wrote:I know what he means. I have at least three rifles that will fit the bill.

Dustin
So your rifle that is bone stock has like a 5 lb trigger pull and nothing fancy but maybe a scope?
-Mark
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

glen ring wrote:There is no small bore state championship here. There is a monthly match in Tulsa.
Tulsa?? Good grief! That's about 10 hours from Baton Rouge. There's not a silhouette range further south?

We'll figure out the place, just not Nationals.

Dustin
kd5zmg
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by kd5zmg »

Can't you guys meet somewhere in TX?
-Mark
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

kd5zmg wrote:Can't you guys meet somewhere in TX?
We could go to a club match in Haltom City.
glen ring wrote:I am ordering a Beman R7 in the morning for winter practice.
That's a really nice rifle but you'd probably be a little happier with a fixed barreled rifle like a TX200. You should consider Emmett's rifle for sale in the marketplace.

Dustin
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

I think we'd be the only two males on the line in Texas. There are some really good lady shooters there , but I don't know if any Texas guy shooters would shoot a stock gun. Too bad. Dustin we'll let it rip sometime after the winter. You are after all the national champion and half my age so I'll need to practice up all winter. Too bad there aren't any other shooters that aren't afraid to shoot a stock rifle in a match.

Can I borrow some tennis balls from someone...my walker needs replacements.
Just Be Nice **==
Thesnackbar
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Thesnackbar »

While not a smallbore match, the Texas state high power match is right around the corner Sept. 16-18. Dustin will be there, we would love to have you as well Glen. Perhaps after the match on the first day we could set up some smallbore targets, in a time span of 15 minutes we could have a match-say 20 total targets each? While the rest of us enjoy libations you two could duel it out.