Favorite left hand hold

This is what we do.
gregw72
B Poster
B Poster

Favorite left hand hold

Post by gregw72 »

As I am trying to develop my offhand position, I have noticed that there are many ways for support hand holds. Some have the rifle on their finger tips, others on their fist, etc. What is your favorite position? I've read the AMU books and it doesn't really translate to our game as those guys get coats, mitts, hooks, palm rests and all the goodies.
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Favorite left hand hold

Post by OldRanger »

Not that I'm good enough for you to listen to, but I hold it between my thumb and index finger with my palm facing my face. And I'm lefty. Not that the lefty part really matters much.

A bunch of the folks I shoot with use a split finger hold where the stock is between their fingers. Here is a picture of that. Just pretend he's left handed....
IronManShooterSmall.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

I'm not real tall (~5' 10") but have a long neck and long arms. In order to keep my head up as much as possible I use my thumb on the trigger guard and first three fingers just ahead of the mag well on my CZ-452 (shallow stock around the mag well).

When holding my newly-aquired TX200 with it's deeper stock I use a hold with my two middle fingers down and the index/pinky fingers up, kind of like this guy but with my palm facing me.

\m/

I wish I could do a flat palm-up, like if you were carrying a tray, but I'd be aiming at the dirt ten feet in front of me if I did.

:-q
Last edited by acorneau on Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Allen Corneau
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Maybe this will help.
Teaching Rifle Positions, CMP.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gregw72
B Poster
B Poster

Post by gregw72 »

Yes, the CMP site has some good stuff. I had already read that which prompted the posting as the kids shooting the Daisy's have to deal with that big cocking lever (I used to have one of those). Was more interested in what you guys are doing for CZs and Anschutz hunter rifles.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

For what it is worth I use a grip hold.
kd5zmg
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by kd5zmg »

Depends on the rifle, but when I use my 5418 I have the rifle sit in between index and middle finger with the left hand, light hold. With the right hand I pull it into my shoulder about 3lbs with the right thumb resting by the bolt.

However, with my CZ455 Pro-varmint/Silhouette stock, my left hand holds it firm with middle, ring and pinky, while the thumb and index finger makes a U and pinch lightly. The right hand holds the grip firmly with the right thumb resting by the bolt.
-Mark
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

acorneau wrote:I'm not real tall (~5' 10") but have a long neck and long arms. In order to keep my head up as much as possible I use my thumb on the trigger guard and first three fingers just ahead of the mag well on my CZ-452. :-q
+1 Gregw.... I am left handed and that is the hold I prefer and most comfortable for me. I have a long body, long neck, and long arms. You just have to try different holds with your particular rifle and see what is most effective/comfortable for you. Take some pictures of those attending a match.

DavidABQ has given some nice examples.
LH CZ 452 Amer, Free Floated, FX-3 25X40, D3 Rings, TAC-22
https://www.beloitrifleclub.org/shootin ... ilhouette/