What are your favorite........

This is what we do.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: What are your favorite........

Post by Another Dang 9 »

A word about carbon fiber cleaning rods.
I'm very sceptical of them for a few reasons.
#1. Carbon fiber can be affected by solvents over time.
#2. Carbon fiber rods much like carbon arrows can shatter with repeated pounding. I have arrows that I use only for practice and dispose of after a year or two at most. Hunting arrows are used once even if they don't break.
Food for thought.
As far as my rods I use the Dewey coated with a chamber guide and Butch's solvent.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ken Green »

You mean people actually clean a small bore barrel :-o
My Shilen barrel still shoots 5 shots into a 3/4 inch group at 100 yards and I have not cleaned it yet. As long as it shoots like that, I don't see any reason to clean it.

If and when I do ever clean it, I will use weed eater string with a patch and pull it through from the chamber end.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Another Dang 9 wrote:A word about carbon fiber cleaning rods.
I'm very sceptical of them for a few reasons.
#1. Carbon fiber can be affected by solvents over time.
#2. Carbon fiber rods much like carbon arrows can shatter with repeated pounding. I have arrows that I use only for practice and dispose of after a year or two at most. Hunting arrows are used once even if they don't break.
Food for thought.
As far as my rods I use the Dewey coated with a chamber guide and Butch's solvent.
1. I have carbon fiber rods that are 10 years old that are as smooth on the outside as they were the day I got them. I guess it's possible that they could be affected by solvents, but don't appear to have been affected by them. I wipe the solvents off of them when I pull them out of the bore, though, just like I did when I used coated rods.
2. As above, my carbon fiber rods are still in great shape after years of use. I don't pound on my cleaning rods, though. I also don't shoot them at things. :)
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

Carbon rods can and have shattered on users, but I would think that shouldn't be an issue with proper use.
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

I actually just ordered a carbon rod. I probably have no reason to have one as my stainless Ivy rod would likely be perfectly fine, but I was looking at the brass cone muzzle guides for cleaning rods and Gunslick sells a carbon rod that comes with one so I bit not being certain of the ID of the guide in relation to the OD of my Ivy rod. I wanted an easier way to brush my semi auto silhouette gun than pulling the barreled action, dropping the trigger, removing the bolt and pulling a brush on nylon coated rod through.

I'll be able to brush/jag from the muzzle end and have more control over bore contact with this muzzle guide. Very neat.

https://www.amazon.com/Gunslick-1-Piece ... B00162KSCQ
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Jason, good point about not shooting them.lol I guess I over stated my point. Maybe my next rod will be a carbon rod just to try one.
NRA Endowment Member
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

Another Dang 9 wrote:Jason, good point about not shooting them.lol I guess I over stated my point. Maybe my next rod will be a carbon rod just to try one.
The Gunslick rod I linked earlier seems nice and well made with good bearings in the handle, but the muzzle guard is far too large to fit in the crown of a .22lr. Waiting on word back from Gunslick support. In the meantime, I ordered a Dewey guard to see how it fits.
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

Doodaddy wrote:
Another Dang 9 wrote:Jason, good point about not shooting them.lol I guess I over stated my point. Maybe my next rod will be a carbon rod just to try one.
The Gunslick rod I linked earlier seems nice and well made with good bearings in the handle, but the muzzle guard is far too large to fit in the crown of a .22lr. Waiting on word back from Gunslick support. In the meantime, I ordered a Dewey guard to see how it fits.
Scratch that. The condescending Gunslick representative I spoke to was incapable of comprehending the idea of a guard that has a larger outside diameter than the inside diameter of the bore not fitting properly. I'll just have something custom made for my Ivy rod and do it that way.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

I've been using .17 cal rods for all my .22 guns. You can buy an adapter for them so .22 jag will fit. No muzzle guides fit. .22 as far as I know but making one out of brass or delrin will work with a .17 cal rod.
NRA Endowment Member
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

You can make a pretty good rod guide for a 22 rifle and a .17 cal rod using whatever that common .17 rimfire case is that litters the firing line at every range that I have ever been to. I dont know what it is called but it has a bit of a bottleneck. Works great for my .22 low walls for instance.
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

BrentD wrote:You can make a pretty good rod guide for a 22 rifle and a .17 cal rod using whatever that common .17 rimfire case is that litters the firing line at every range that I have ever been to. I dont know what it is called but it has a bit of a bottleneck. Works great for my .22 low walls for instance.
By your description 17HMR would be the most likely culprit.
Allen Corneau
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

That sounds like it. It is the most common 17 cal rimfire you see on the ground. Works great with my Dewey rod (which I don't really like).

I don't own a bolt action but it works fine on my single shots and on my lever guns (from either end).