cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

National Championship Survey

Post by cslcAl »

National Championship Survey
Postby cslcAl » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:46 pm

Shooters,
You may or may not have heard that the NRA has committed to holding all the Silhouette National Championships in Raton till at least 2023. Many of us feel that this will be detrimental to the future of our sport. If you too are concerned please fill out the attached survey.

Thanks,
Al Foust

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/LDJBXF5
Team Sierra Member
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: National Championship Survey

Post by glen ring »

We like Raton, even though it's an 8 hour drive for us. We don't normally shoot HP and SB silhouette, but any excuse to go and stay at the whittington center is good for us.
Just Be Nice **==
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

I live approximately 3hrs. away by car. \m/
I have to admit I am looking forward to going every year. **==

The previous pattern of east and west worked very well too.
:-bd
Last edited by DavidABQ on Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

I'm a relatively new silhouette shooter (~1.5 years) and have never been to a National match (yet), however I'd like to take the survey. Unfortunately most of my answers don't fit it to the "this or that" options on the survey so I'll give my answers here.

2. Do you agree with this decision?
No, I think that it should move around the nation (as possible of course).

3. What impact do you feel this will have in regards to the sport of Rifle Silhouette?
Neutral - some will be disadvantaged, some will benefit, but the people that really want to compete will go wherever they are held.

4. Do you feel this is in your personal best interest as a Silhouette shooter?
My best interest? Sure, because I live a 12-hour drive away from Raton and a plane-ticket away from Ridgeway. Overall cost of having to fly would be more than the drive.

5. Do you feel that the sport of Silhouette should be rotated on a yearly basis among shooting organizations which are capable of hosting these Championships?
Yes, to as many areas of the country that can support such an event.

6. With this decision already being made are you concerned for the future of the sport of Rifle Silhouette?
No, silhouette will not live or die based on the location of the Nationals. It has much more to do with local club support.

7. Would you like to see the continued format of Smallbore and Highpower Silhouette National Championships being rotated between Ridgway Rifle Club and Raton as they have been the last 40 years?
Again, two locations are better than one but not as good as four, five, six, etc. I can't imagine that there are only two places in the whole country that can support this type of event.

Move them around. Be happy when the Big Match is right in your back yard. Suck it up when it's far away and more expensive to go.

Just one little opinion from a nobody silhouette shooter.
Allen Corneau
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

First, according to the silhouette department, the NRA has not committed to having the nationals in Raton until 2023. They have not even committed to having them in Raton next year.

Second, I agree with Allen. The survey is poorly worded and does not take into consideration options other than Ridgeway and Raton. Pretty useless.

Dustin
Last edited by dustinflint on Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

dustinflint wrote:First, just so everyone knows, the NRA has not committed to having the nationals in Raton until 2023. They have not even committed to having them in Raton next year. This is a rumor.

Dustin
Dustin,
I'm not sure where you get your information, but I have gotten mine directly from Dennis Willing. The NRA has a commitment to hold all national matches in Raton thru 2023.
I know this is a controversial subject, but if you don't think this will impact the future of the National matches' remember what happened to Pistol. Them magic number is 50 competitors, and the numbers at Raton are dipping closer to that each year they are held there.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

We host the air rifle silhouette national championship here in Baton Rouge every year. With that, we have to have a decent bit of contact with the silhouette department. If all of the matches are going to be held at Raton for the next seven years, no one at the silhouette department knows about it. I'm not saying it isn't going to happen, it's just not set in stone as far as I've heard.

There is plenty of outrage about this from the folks in the Northeast and the survey basically focused on that. I personally think that any club that wants to host a national championship and has a reasonably big enough facility should get the opportunity. If it works out, great - they can have it again at a future date. If not, no more. Depending on the facility, they can have smallbore and high-power back to back or they can split it up at different facilities at different times.

Both Dennis and Barry have email addresses and read their emails. If anyone has an opinion or questions, I suggest emailing those guys. I would not waste my time emailing Greg.

Dustin
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Did anyone else noticed that the word Silhouette was misspelled on question #3 in the survey?

I bet there are a lot of angry people back east about the prospect of Nationals being held out west near, where I live a short 3 hour drive away.

I liked the alternating between Ridgeway and Whittington Center but I have to admit I am looking forward to it being here every year if the rumors turn out to be correct.

If they were to move it to Ridgeway for several years I don't think it would bother me too much. With my limited resources I would hit nearby state championships like the one coming up in Arizona or Colorado. I doubt I would miss Nationals so much if I am hitting some other regional matches. I would still get to visit with friends so it would be all good.
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Dustin,

I don't know why you won't take my word for this. I talked to Dennis Willing personally on the phone two weeks ago, and he told me this decision was final and I was free to spread the word.
Beside that Dr David Bennett Silhouette Committe Chairman, announced this at the Cowboy Nationals if front of 160 competitors.
Also the Ridgway Rifle Club has been corresponding with the NRA to try and keep the schedule revolving as it has for many years. Here is an excerpt form an email from Dennis Willing to Ken Hauptricht

Willing, Dennis <DWilling@nrahq.org>

Aug 29 at 2:15 PM
To
'Kenneth Haupricht'

Message body

Ken,

As I have always stated, the Silhouette National Championship is on the calendar at the NRA Whittington Center through the year 2023.
Team Sierra Member
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

Al,

I'm not saying I won't take your word on it. I'm just repeating what the silhouette department is saying. Obviously there are conflicting reports going around.

I am against the nationals being in Raton every year. In fact, I think that it's a bad idea to flip-flop between only two places. Frankly, it BLOWS MY MIND that it's so difficult to spread the match around. There are tons of clubs that know how to put on a top-notch match and could host either smallbore or high-power or both nationals. All the NRA need to do is show up and give out awards.

I will let Dennis and the folks at the silhouette department know how I feel about it, as should everyone that has an opinion. No one at the NRA, other than Barry every once in a while, ever looks at Steelchickens.

Dustin
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Dustin,

I have always said 5 people can call the Silhouette dept. and ask the same question, and get 5 different answers.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

cslcAl wrote:Dustin,

I have always said 5 people can call the Silhouette dept. and ask the same question, and get 5 different answers.

Al Foust
I think you've just pinpointed the issue!

Dustin
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

Everyone just remember that silhouette belongs to the SHOOTERS, not the NRA. If you want to see something different, call and email Dennis and the silhouette department! It's their job to listen to us!

Dustin
Ferret Master
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Ferret Master »

The Bottom line
The bottom line is that if the numbers drop below 50 we won't have to worry about a Nationals location, we won't be having one. If you think it can't happen to us just ask the Hunters Pistol folks. Raton is already down to 53. Participation at Ridgway was in the low 80's. How will you feel next year if only 47 pre register for Raton and they cancel the match. Being only three hours from a match that does not take place won't be a very good place to be.
Dustin I agree with you that the sport should belong to the shooters but I have never know the NRA to agree with you about that in the past and it has only gotten worse.
Ferret Master
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

That's it then. Since the NRA silhouette department doesn't suit some folks on here ( we like them all just fine by the way ) Time for the complainers to roll up their sleeves and take over. YOU be the one that schedules the range space, target setters etc. Now, who's up to the task ??
Just Be Nice **==