Remington 40x repeater

This is what we do.
stsbuyer
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Remington 40x repeater

Post by stsbuyer »

Need some help guys,

I have three 40x smallbore rifles and want to find someone that can convert one to a repeater. Does anyone know of a gun smith that can or would be willing to try this conversion? I thought that the parts from a Anschutz 54-18 or 1712 could be used. I know that there were a few repeaters made at the Remington custom shop. But doubt that if I bought one I could bring myself to tearing it down to make a silhouette rifle.

Come on guys help me this is something I want, nothing to do with need. There has to be someone out there willing to tackle this conversion. How about it Mr. Marvin do you think it could be done?

Thanks, Paul
nomad
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by nomad »

Paul,

I figure that almost anything's possible, if you have the money and time to attempt it, but I had one of the original 40XR Sporter repeaters and disliked it so much that I sold it. (In view of the price increase due to collector interest, that was a bad move, but my crystal ball was cloudy that day.)

It went back to the custom shop twice (maybe 'thrice'!?-- we're going back almost 30 years) and they never could make it reliable. That bothered me a lot, since the custom shop supervisor at the time was named Ernie! lol

It was a pretty rifle, made to my specs, but it never ran well and it wouldn't feed for ****!

Marvin's a magician in metal but if Remington couldn't make them work with everything they had available...

(That said, if you do it and make it work, I'd really like to see it!)

Ernie
stsbuyer
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by stsbuyer »

Ernie,

I was involved in a conversion of a 40x back some 25 yrs ago, but the smith used 541s parts. Even if it were possible to find someone to do it again, I would not use 541 parts. I know it can be done, just a matter of finding someone willing. I would think if Marvin can install a 54-18 trigger on a Remington 541 he could figure out a way to clip feed a 40x.

I guess all it would take is an email to Marvin and see what he thinks.

Later, Paul
metalhead
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by metalhead »

Hi Paul & Ernie...You guys give me to much credit.....If I have an example of a workable application, I can figure out how to copy it.

On the 541 / 581's, the magazine guide also acts as a bolt guide and ejector. The Anschutz magazine guide may or may not work but the problem there is that the bolt guide and ejector are a seperate part.

This would probably be a job I would pass on due the the time involved in research and development and risk versus reward. For what I could charge on a job like this, coupled witht the fact it might be a one of a kind job, makes me think that I can keep busy pounding used primers with a large ball peen hammer and have more fun waiting for one to go bang.

M.

Post by Guest »

Well Ernie & Marvin,

I guess that answers that question. I have one of two choices, buy and tear up a collectors item or maybe just buy another action either a custom or Anschutz 54-18.

Well it was a nice thought!

Later guys, Paul
stsbuyer
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by stsbuyer »

Pretty said guys when you forget to log in to your own thread.

Later, Paul
Anonymous wrote:Well Ernie & Marvin,

I guess that answers that question. I have one of two choices, buy and tear up a collectors item or maybe just buy another action either a custom or Anschutz 54-18.

Well it was a nice thought!

Later guys, Paul