Sightron Scope ?

This is what we do.
ChuckD
A Poster
A Poster

Sightron Scope ?

Post by ChuckD »

For those of you who have shot the Sightron Big SkyII 6x24 with the Sil dot,(the discontinued model) is the dot too big for smallbore?
Looks like the Dot may cover the whole chicken.
Thanks
chuck
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Sightron Scope ?

Post by Ken Green »

I have one of the older Sightron straight 24 power scopes with a 1/2 minute dot. The 1/2 minute dot does not cover the chicken. The dot fits very nicely inside the chicken with plenty of chicken around the dot. I have a 1/2 minute dot on all of my silhouette scopes. The dot even fits well inside the air rifle chicken at 20 yards.

Chuck: what is the size of the dot in the Sightron Big SkyII 6x24 scope?

I have a Bushnell Elite 2400 6-24 power with the small 1/8 minute dot in excellence shape. I just took the scope off of one of my silhouette rifles because the dot was just too small for me. I replaced it with a Weaver T-24 with a 1/2 minute dot.

If the dot in the Sightron scope is a 1/2 minute dot and you think the dot is too big for you, I might be willing to trade you the Sightron for the Bushnell. Send me a PM or an e-mail with your phone number and I will give you a call. Ken
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

It's a 3/8 minute dot, which at 40 meters is tiny compared to a smallbore chicken. It's actually the smallest size dot that I like for silhouette, as I prefer 3/8 to 1/2 minute dots. It was designed to be a silhouette scope and it's darn near perfect for it. You made a great choice.
Bigfoot
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Bigfoot »

Jason is right. I shoot 4 rifles and 3 of them have half minute dots. I think I got the one with a 3/8 by accident and it's my favorite by far.

I've shot Jason's small bore rifle and while the sightron isn't as bright as a Leupold. The focus being spot on for small bore and the positive clicks on the adjustment are pretty damn impressive. If it hadn't been discontinued I would probably own a few.

But in the big picture. Figure out what works best for you and practice, practice, practice. This isn't a gear race like benchrest. The people that win at matches are those that put the trigger time in and are mentally focused.

:ymcowboy:
Res ipsa loquitur
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

Bigfoot

Is there a CLA range in Washington state that could accommodate the CLA Nationals ?
Just Be Nice **==
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Bigfoot,

You shot my smallbore hunter rifle with the Weaver T24 with 1/2 minute dot and 1/4 minute clicks. The Sightron SII Big Sky SIL model doesn't have the smallbore distances marked on the objective but it does have much, much nicer glass. I got the Weavers for about half the price of the Sightrons, though. I have the Sightrons on my smallbore standard rifle and my highpower rifle.
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

I used their now discontinued 6-42X42 SIL, 1/4 clicks, and the optics were superb at 24X, but not the brightest at dusk. I'd have to turn it down to 18X during the evening Fall hours on our wooded silhouette range at the Rams. But that was me. I sold it on RFC this past February in one day. It was a fine scope for me until eye issues 2 years ago. It was one fine scope at the time, made in Japan.

I had to graduate to a larger dot with brighter optics, which L had.
LH CZ 452 Amer, Free Floated, FX-3 25X40, D3 Rings, TAC-22
https://www.beloitrifleclub.org/shootin ... ilhouette/