Single Shot Adapter

This is what we do.
Kujones
B Poster
B Poster

Single Shot Adapter

Post by Kujones »

Does a Single Shot Adaptor violate the rules for a Hunter Class rifle? Considering one in lieu of magazines that I seem to keep dropping. Does anyone else use them? I'm shooting a CZ 455.
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Single Shot Adapter

Post by Doodaddy »

I read there was a recent rule change that now allows you to do that, but I don't see that change reflected in the rule book.
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
mary10
B Poster
B Poster

Post by mary10 »

This is from the new rule book with changes made in March of 2016:

PDF Link: http://rulebooks.nra.org/documents/pdf/ ... r-book.pdf

3.2.1 Smallbore Hunting Silhouette Rifle - Identical to the description
of the High Power Hunting Silhouette Rifle, except that (a) the rifle may be a
single-loading rifle, (b) the weight may not exceed 8 1/2 pounds, (c) the rifle
shall be chambered for only factory loaded .22 caliber short, long or long rifle
rimfire cartridges, and (d) barrel turners or additional weights are not permitted.

Hope this helps!
Jimmy
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

It is about time they changed that stoopid rule for HP. Shoot a 5 round set with a rifle that holds 3. What was the point?
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

A "single loading rifle" isn't the same thing as single feeding a repeating rifle. The rules there are just saying that the rifle can be a single shot.

I bolded a section of the posted rules above:

3.2.1 Smallbore Hunting Silhouette Rifle - Identical to the description
of the High Power Hunting Silhouette Rifle

To reference the High Power rules:

• 3.1.1 High Power Hunting Silhouette Rifle
A hunting style rifle having a maximum weight of 9 pounds, including sights and if applicable, an empty magazine or clip. The intent of this rule is to describe a common hunting rifle

(f) Magazines: Magazines may not be loaded with more than 5 rounds.

Exception: During a Shoot Off, single cartridge loading may be used at direction of the Range Officer.

So the smallbore section says it's the same as the high power section. The high power section doesn't reference having to feed from the magazine, but does state that single feeding only during a shoot off as it's an exception to the standard rules implying that the rifle must feed from the magazine. Rules shouldn't imply. They should completely clear.

But if you'll look at the below section, the rules made a point specifically to address what we're discussing.

3.1.2 High Power Semi Automatic Military Rifle
b. Cartridges may be loaded from the magazine or single loaded

Why they're clear in one section and ambiguous every where else is something I don't understand. HOWEVER I found an older copy of the rules and there is some verbiage in them that is no longer in the rules.

3.1.1 High Power Hunting Silhouette Rifle
- A hunting style rifle having a maximum weight of 9 pounds, including sights and if applicable, an empty magazine or clip. With the exception of single shot rifles, all other types must be repeating rifles, which shall be fired by loading all cartridges from the magazine or clip into the chamber. The intent of this rule is to describe a common hunting rifle.

It would have been nice had the newer rules been phrased better or the change at least included in their 2015 rule changes rather than just showing what the rules say without giving context or defining what has been changed.

http://rulebooks.nra.org/documents/pdf/ ... fle_14.pdf
http://rulebooks.nra.org/documents/pdf/ ... fle_15.pdf
http://rulebooks.nra.org/documents/pdf/ ... fle_16.pdf

Since the lines directly disallowing single feeding a repeating rifle have been removed, I would think that it would be entirely legal to be able to do it now, but the rules aren't explicitly allowing or preventing competitors to do it. I would find physical copies of the older rules that address this and have them along with the newer books for reference in case any match director may not be aware of any rule changes as some single shot adapters aren't easily removed on a firing line if there is a protest.
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image