Do I need More?

This is what we do.
ChuckD
A Poster
A Poster

Do I need More?

Post by ChuckD »

I have a CZ 455, with one of the older Sightron 6x24 with a 3/8 dot. Decent trigger, with Yo Dave parts. I like equipment, and have been talking to myself about another SB rifle. But short of a Anschutz 1712, is there anything really better?

Thinking I should just buy ammo. Not wearing out a barrel anytime soon on a .22. Shoot, shoot and shoot some more seems to make the most sense.

Anything I'm missing?

Thanks
chuck
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Do I need More?

Post by acorneau »

I've been using a CZ 452 Silhouette for a year and a half and I've managed AA for Standard rifle, AAA for Hunter rifle. My suggestions would be...

1. Practice, practice, practice! I practice several hours for smallbore and/or air rifle every weekend as well as shorter practice during the week. Dry-fire practice is supposed to be good as well but I'm really bad about that.

2. Make sure the ammo you're using meets your requirements for accuracy. Benched testing at 100m will reveal a lot about your rifle/ammo combo.

3. Practice some more.

4. Identify why you might want to upgrade to a different rifle. Poor fit? Unhappy with the trigger? Want a different balance? If you decide that you do want to upgrade rifles then know there is a middle tier between a stock 455 and a full-tilt 1712... look at the Anschutz 1416 or Kimber HS or a semi-custom 455 with upgraded stock and accuracy tweaks.

Good luck.
Allen Corneau
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Smallbore is about obtaining the best fit to your size and body type but still meeting the NRA equipment rules. Why not call Wayne Merrier or one of the other silhouette rifle builders to see if they can put your 455 in a Pharr RTS type stock? I think Wayne has put more CZ's into Silhouette stocks than any of the others. He has a jig that he sends you. You adjust the jig to your length of pull and locate where the action is bedded in the stock so that the trigger is the correct distance away. Then you ship the jig back to him and he goes off of those measurements. You can then put weight in the channel under the barrel and in the stock to achieve maximum weight and the balance you want. If you use Merrier and want the option to place weight inside the stock just tell him you want a removeable recoil pad instead of his standard pad. In hindsight, I should have stuck to our original CZ452's and just put them in stocks that fit us better.
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

For about $100 nothing upgrades the CZ like a Timney trigger.
ppkny
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

I believe the average cz will get you to at least AAA. I went through 3 different Anschutz 64 actions until I built my 54 single shot last year. Last October I bought a cz455 for my fiance and wish I had just started with the cz, it is that good.

I currently have a timney trigger in it set at 2.8 lbs, if I go lower the bolt can be taken out on accident. I did order her the cz Fly two stage trigger, but will need to get springs to get it up to the 2# limit. As it comes it is about 14oz or so.

She loves the rifle, I had to cut down the nice walnut to fit her though.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

If you have decent equipment then; It's the Indian, not the arrow. :-bd
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

I made it to AAA in both classes with a CZ 425 Varmint. Your current setup is great, especially that scope. I wish Sightron had not discontinued it.

I don't believe that there's any significant improvement in rifles between the CZ 45x and the Anschutz 1712 that's worth upgrading to as a step between them. I haven't used one of the CZ fly two-stage triggers to speak to it. One of the shooters at the smallbore silhouette matches that I run has a CZ in a Wayne Merrier stock and it seems very good, especially for the price.
jeff59
B Poster
B Poster

Post by jeff59 »

ppkny wrote:For about $100 nothing upgrades the CZ like a Timney trigger.
ppkny
:-bd
I agree, the Timney in my 455 is great.

Jeff
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

What did you guys get the weight down to on the timney? And does the bolt come out accidentally?
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

I never had a problem with the bolt. Mine is a CZ Silhouette with a synthetic stock. A nice crisp 2.12 lbs.
ppkny
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

You don't need more rifle; the CZ will serve you well.

With that said this is an opportunity to purchase a new rifle! An Anschutz 1712 and a custom Canyon Creek stock or perhaps have a good gunsmith put together something with a custom action and a nice custom barrel? Contact Wooster and see if he can fit one of his custom carbon fiber stocks to it.

Do you need a new rifle? No, but here is an opportunity to get one. \m/