Ruger 10-22

This is what we do.
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Ruger 10-22

Post by glen ring »

I have always wanted a Ruger 10/22. There seems to be a LOT of aftermarket parts for them. In the event that I wanted to shoot a smallbore silhouette match with one, what products are available to deflect the spent brass downward ? I can find a LOT of aftermarket items...but no deflector.
Just Be Nice **==
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Ruger 10-22

Post by acorneau »

Nah, just stand to the left of a left-handed shooter, like Pat Steiger, and fling hot brass in his face throughout the match.

=))

I first started shooting silhouette with the 10/22 that I had. I made a deflector out of a wire coat hanger and some tape and managed to get it to mount on the picatiny rail between the scope rings. I switched over to a CZ-452 not long after that so I had no need for the deflector.
Allen Corneau
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

At Nationals last year a couple of older gentlemen were using pretty much box stock 10/22s. They fashioned deflectors out of some water bottles and some tape.

You could always draw up a design and have a machine shop make it out of billet aluminum.

It would be pretty damn expensive unless you go with billet titanium. That will make the aluminum look like a bargain.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

A 10-22 got me into hunter AAA. You need a good follow-through because they aren't very fast and ignore the noise of the action working near your nose. You also have to keep them very clean so they will work with the 1080 fps ammo. Mine was very sensitive to the ammo it used. It liked Eley Black Box.
saikatana
B Poster
B Poster

Post by saikatana »

I heard of a guy a few years ago who took a net from his fish tank, bent the handle to fit around the scope and the basket was placed in front of the ejection port. Also RimfireCentral.com has a LOAD of updates and mods for a 10/22
saikatana
CWS
A Poster
A Poster

Post by CWS »

An old scope ring bottom, a piece of cardboard or plastic, and you're set. If you want it fancy paint it a neon color...
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

Not sure why you would want one? My lefty fiance shoots my 10/22 no problem.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Have you considered a freestanding deflector made out of PVC products and sceen door screen mesh material? Instead of attaching something to your rifle have a freestanding deflector unit.
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

I built my 10/22 off of the CST Titan receiver with Power Match bolt. Top quality and great action. Uses a spring specifically for subsonic ammo so pristine cleanliness isn't required for proper function. Just normal routine. I had Joe over at http://autobenchrestassociation.com/ do me a barrel and it's a laser. Add the Kidd two stage trigger and it's a great silhouette gun assuming you have the follow through with your technique.

As far as brass deflector, I have the Power Custom extended charging handle. It deflects most brass to in front of me, but there are a few that it misses and are slung to my right. I've shot it only in a couple of matches and is now my wife's gun. I'll just always be to her right during relays unless you guys come up with a sharp looking way to fix it.

I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

DavidABQ wrote:Have you considered a freestanding deflector made out of PVC products and sceen door screen mesh material? Instead of attaching something to your rifle have a freestanding deflector unit.
I thought about this but wondered if that might interfere with the spotter.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Put your spotter on the other side. Besides it can be angled slightly to deflect the brass forward. Try it out and see how it works. PVC and mesh screening is not that expensive.
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

Doodaddy...what stock is that ? Looks like a great set up. My primary use will be hunting, then steel challenge type shooting and last I may take in a silhouette match on occasion. Flying .22 brass has never been an issue for me and the majority of folks I know, but some types may get their undies in a knot and I don't want to hurt feelers. I think I have a solution with an AR type deflector that can be fitted to the rail so the brass goes down. Getting a spotter/blocker to stand just right so they get hit with all the brass does have it's merits I guess.
Just Be Nice **==
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

DavidABQ wrote:Put your spotter on the other side. Besides it can be angled slightly to deflect the brass forward. Try it out and see how it works. PVC and mesh screening is not that expensive.
Depending on the range that could interfere with the shooter to the left.

I'm not saying that a stand would always be a problem or if it ever would. Just thinking out loud. That's all.
glen ring wrote:Doodaddy...what stock is that ? Looks like a great set up. My primary use will be hunting, then steel challenge type shooting and last I may take in a silhouette match on occasion. Flying .22 brass has never been an issue for me and the majority of folks I know, but some types may get their undies in a knot and I don't want to hurt feelers. I think I have a solution with an AR type deflector that can be fitted to the rail so the brass goes down. Getting a spotter/blocker to stand just right so they get hit with all the brass does have it's merits I guess.
It's a prototype silhouette stock that I've been working on with Mike Turner. Worked out very well.

The AR style deflector would be my preference if it could be done in a aesthetically pleasing way. I suppose I'm kind of vain when it comes to my rifles.
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

CWS
I guess I can't wrap my head around what you're saying. Please post a picture of what you are talking about so I'll know how you did that deflector. I'm a visual learner.
Just Be Nice **==
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

I found a single shot adapter that would eliminate the need for a deflector...in the event I wanted to shoot an occasional small bore match. I guess most of the aftermarket parts for a 10-22 are geared toward the action sports and hunting.
Just Be Nice **==