firing line prep

This is what we do.
p14shooter
B Poster
B Poster

firing line prep

Post by p14shooter »

Ok, Does someone have a video, or perhaps can make one, or give more detailed information about preparation time. I have read the rules regarding time limits, but can not seem to see, maybe I am just overlooking them, about prep time before shooting. I think I know in air gun that shooters can put their equipment on the line 15 minutes before the match begins, and what we use for sporting rifle here, once shooters are on the line position there is a 3 minute prep time. I also can not see if a warning is issued at "x" amount of time before the clock runs out. We have a single 5 minute warning for sporting rifle.

Yup, I know that if I am just trying to get some people out to start it and have some fun that I need not worry too much about this. However, I am a rules kinda guy and need to know a base so even when exceptions are made, I at least know what it is supposed to be. No sense in having things all loosey goosey to start and then have to rein people in, may as well start close to right.
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: firing line prep

Post by Ken Green »

p14shooter: What type of shooting are you referring to?

There is no "prep time" in silhouette.

Normally the silhouette targets will be set out so everybody can practice and warm up.
After the warm up period and everybody is ready, a "COLD LINE" will be called.
All rifles will be removed from the firing line and put in racks.
With all rifles put up and the firing line safe, you go down range, reset targets (free fall animals) and paint.
After everybody gets back from painting the animals and behind the firing line, and it is safe, the match director will call for relay 1 to bring their equipment to the line.
When relay 1 is on the line and everybody is ready, the match director will call relay 1, for your 1st bank of animals "READY".
Set your timer to 2:45. When the ready command is given, start your timer.
You will have 15 seconds to load and to get ready to fire.
When the 15 seconds is up, the command "FIRE" will be given.
You will have 2:30 (two minutes and 30 seconds) to take 1 shot at each of the 5 animals (total of 5 shots) starting with the left (# 1 animal) and working toward the last animal (#5) on the right.
When the time is up, the command "CEASE FIRE" is called out.
Then there is a 30 second rest period.
The match director will call relay 1 back to the line for the 2nd bank of animals.
Teh match director will repeat the commands for the 2nd bank of 5 animals.
The match director will tell Relay 1 to score their targets and to remove their equipment from the line.
Relay 1 then removes their equipment from the firing line and the firing line is made safe by putting all rifles in the rack.
Normally the relay that just finished shooting, goes down range to reset and paint the animals.
Then relay 2 is then called to the firing line.
The range commands are then given for relay 2.

Allen: I went back and added a couple of things. Thanks for reminding me.
Last edited by Ken Green on Wed May 10, 2017 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

Ken knows this but there is a second bank of animals (and sometimes a third) so they will call "Ready" through "Cease Fire" at least a second time so each person shoots his two five-animal banks (three times if shooting a 60-shot match).
Allen Corneau
tnchicknsnipr
B Poster
B Poster

Post by tnchicknsnipr »

The only thing left out is when the command to bring equipment to the line it means just that. It does not mean come up and set sights or work on gun. That is what the ready is for. If you know at which bank you are starting at your sights should be ready at the end of practice. You should have time after the last animal is fired to set sights for next animal. Nothing worst than trying to call a match and someone wants to over haul their gun.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

CRC method (commands vary according to the range)

--Relay ___ bring your equipment to the line. (bring rifle, timer, and ammo to firing line. set rifle down and don't touch until ready command)
(wait until all shooters are at the line)
--Relay ___ for your first bank of animals, listo. (in English, ready)
(15 seconds later)
--Feugo (in English, fire)
(2 1/2 minutes later)
--Halto fuego (in English, stop firing)
(wait about 15 to 20 seconds)
--Relay ___ for your second bank of animals, feugo

Not too complicated.

The above commands are the same for both 22s and both HPs
Last edited by Jerry G on Thu May 11, 2017 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
p14shooter
B Poster
B Poster

Post by p14shooter »

Ken, I was referring to sporting rifle, which is what I presume you may call light rifle. Prone or 3P.

30 seconds between banks. Huh. I woulda guessed longer, but I guess if you are all sighted in, then there is no point in delaying.
Speaking of sighting in. Does everyone sight in at each range or do people just choose a range (or do they get their first distance ahead of time, and go from there as they will know the adjustments already.

This is getting way ahead of myself I know, but In the hunting rifle class, when are magazines loaded, if applicable, or are you expected to have more than one magazine as 30 seconds between banks does not seem enough time if you have to reload.

This will by far get me started on this, and I hope to do at least something this summer, if only to gauge interest, if nothing else. If I get some interest, I will let you know how it goes.
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

When your relay is called to the line you should be ready to go. There is nothing more aggravating than that guy/gal that has to adjust his / her sights , put on their glasses and then give you a thumbs up. Just as bad is the guy/gal that stays on the line after cease fire is called, with their gun, just bullshitting AFTER you call several times to MAKE THE LINE SAFE!

We are going to start calling that a safety violation when the shooters leave their guns on the line after cease fire and when everyone else have their guns in the rack. ONE warning and then it's sit the match out time.

You all know that guy/gal.
Just Be Nice **==
jask
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jask »

"--Halto fuego (in English, stop firing)"

That's whacking the ole Spanish dictionary.
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ken Green »

p14shooter wrote:Ken, I was referring to sporting rifle, which is what I presume you may call light rifle. Prone or 3P.
Here we mainly shoot silhouette. I have no knowledge of the light rifle, prone or 3p.
30 seconds between banks. Huh. I woulda guessed longer, but I guess if you are all sighted in, then there is no point in delaying. Speaking of sighting in. Does everyone sight in at each range or do people just choose a range (or do they get their first distance ahead of time, and go from there as they will know the adjustments already.
For small bore, I have 3 mags loaded when I walk to the firing line. I have 3 mags ready, in case I have a malfunction with one of the mags. My air rifles are all single shot rifles. So I load a pellet and then shoot that one pellet, then load a pellet for the next shot.

The silhouette targets are always set at a specific distance but this is determined by which rifle you are shooting.(smallbore, High power, air rifle, lever action etc.). You should already have the scope settings for each animal before the match starts. Before the match, everybody is practing (warming up) and verifying that your sight setting is correct for that match. The target distance for each animal is always the same for that animal. Example: small bore chicken is always set at 40 meters. Highpower chicken is always set at 200 meters, air rifle chicken is always set at 20 yards. Your clicks or scope settings should be written down some where.
This is getting way ahead of myself I know, but In the hunting rifle class, when are magazines loaded, if applicable, or are you expected to have more than one magazine as 30 seconds between banks does not seem enough time if you have to reload.
The number of mags that you have is your choice to make. You can get by with using just one mag if that is the only mag that you have. It only takes a few seconds to load 5 rounds of .22lr into a mag. If you only have 1 mag, then have that mag loaded before you go to the firing line and bring at least 5 rounds to the line with you.