Trouble with scope position

This is what we do.
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Trouble with scope position

Post by SqHunter »

I have a Leopold 25x on my small bore rifle, in a Wooster stock, in Pearson rings. As I get tired during a match I tend to pull my head off the stock, which makes the scope black out. I have shortened the stock a little to move my head further to the right, but is not enough. Since you can't bend a synthetic at the wrist to add cast, what do you do to fix it? I have thought of trying the Morr offset rings, but they may be too much. Any ideas? Thanks.
jbzeus
B Poster
B Poster

Re: Trouble with scope position

Post by jbzeus »

I'm new to this sport so I'm sure others will have better info for you...

I don't think you can use offset rings per the rules can you? I tend to cant my rifle to get a clear image. The problem I am having is the scope blacking out because of my shooting glasses blocking my view through the scope due to the position of my head.
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

You can't bend the stock or use offset rings either. From 3.1 of the rule book:

http://rulebooks.nra.org/documents/pdf/ ... r-book.pdf

Any sights, telescopic or metallic may be used. Scopes may not be more than 2 inches above the rifle as measured from the top of the receiver to the underside of the scope tube, nor may the scope be offset from the top center line of the receiver. Any sighting device programmed to activate the firing mechanisms is prohibited.

Stock: The stock must be traditionally styled and may not be bent and/or twisted so as to deviate from conventional configurations such as factory rifle stocks or silhouette stocks as manufactured by Fajen, McMillan, H-S Precision, and others. The forend, including the trigger guard mounts and screws, shall not exceed 2 1/4 inches wide, and 2 1/4 inches deep measured from the centerline of the bore. Magazines do not have to conform to stock measurements but those that extend below the stock line may not be used as support as per Rule 3.I(h) and 3.14. The forend shall extend a minimum of
8 inches forward of the forward edge of the receiver ring. The comb shall not extend above the centerline of the bore,
but Monte Carlo roll may rise 1/2 inch on the off side. Buttplate or recoil pad may not extend below the lower line of the stock.
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Training! The OP said they get tired during a match so it is obvious you need more training so you do not get tired!

\m/
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

It is 1 and 1/2 inches for the Hunter Rifle:
• 3.1.1 High Power Hunting Silhouette Rifle - A hunting style rifle
having a maximum weight of 9 pounds, including sights and if applicable,
an empty magazine or clip. The intent of this rule is to describe a common
hunting rifle.
(a) Caliber: 6mm or larger, provided that no belted cartridges or
Magnums are allowed.
(b) Sights: any telescopic or metallic sight may be used. Scopes may not
be more than 1.5 inches above the rifle, as measured from the top of
the receiver to the underside of the scope tube, nor may the scope be
offset from the centerline of the bore. Exception: for rifles that eject
the empty cartridge case straight up and that normally use an offset
scope, the scope may be offset. Any sighting device programmed to
activate the firing mechanism is prohibited.

3.2 Smallbore Silhouette Rifle - Identical to the description of the High
Power Silhouette Rifle, except that the rifle shall be chambered for only factory
loaded .22 caliber short, long or long rifle rimfire cartridges. Hot loads, such as
“Stingers”, are not permitted. See Rule 3.17.

Offset rings do not meet the rules. The Wooster stock is more forgiving in this trouble you are having because the comb is even higher on the Pharr. I would try slightly higher rings to contact the comb a little lower on your face. This is a common problem because a person's body does change depending on weight gain, weight loss, muscle loss or muscle gain.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

I am not sure about the 'off-set' rings. I know a right handed person who had problems with his right eye so he used off-set rings to shoot with his left eye.
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

I am going to try higher rings and see how that goes. You are right about this stock, it is more forgiving than the Pharr.

I wish someone would design a stock for fat people :D
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ken Green »

Sqhunter: Does your rifle fit you correctly before you start shooting? If it does, then you don't need to change anything.
Is your rifle too heavy for you before you being shoioting or is the weight of the rifle ok for you? If it is too heavy, then remove some weight from the rifle somehow. If the weight is ok, then the rifle is not the problem. If everything is ok, then you need to practice more in small sessions to build your strength. I hope this helps. Ken
I wish someone would design a stock for fat people
Maybe you can design the stock for yourself :) . What kind of design changes would you have in mind?
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

Ken, the rifle works fine as long as I am not tired. I have shot my highest scores to date with it. I dry fire every day, and practice three times a week so I don't think the problem is weight. The issue occurs when my neck and shoulder muscles tire and I straighten up off the stock. It was really bad at the AR match after we drove 6 hours to get there.

My build is such that I need a really thin, sloped, buttstock so that my eye is as far to the right as possible. Short neck, thick shoulders, block for a head. The most comfortable stock I have ever used was a Kimber of New York Hunter, but at least mine was not consistent enough for competition.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

I am having these same problems. I think age has a lot to do with it. I would also try somebody's Wayne Merrier stock. That might be another solution because it seems to have a even lower comb than the Wooster and a little different shape.
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

atomicbrh wrote:I am having these same problems. I think age has a lot to do with it. I would also try somebody's Wayne Merrier stock. That might be another solution because it seems to have a even lower comb than the Wooster and a little different shape.
I love the grip shape of the Merrier, by far the most ergonomic stock I know of. No cast though.
Boyd L.
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Boyd L. »

SqHunter wrote: Sun May 14, 2017 10:34 pm The most comfortable stock I have ever used was a Kimber of New York Hunter, but at least mine was not consistent enough for competition.
After reading most of your comments in this thread I was about to suggest a Kimber Hunter stock design. Can you obtain a wood stock and shape it's comb/cheekpiece to replicate the Kimber.
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

Boyd L. wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 4:14 pm
SqHunter wrote: Sun May 14, 2017 10:34 pm The most comfortable stock I have ever used was a Kimber of New York Hunter, but at least mine was not consistent enough for competition.
After reading most of your comments in this thread I was about to suggest a Kimber Hunter stock design. Can you obtain a wood stock and shape it's comb/cheekpiece to replicate the Kimber.
Mr. Boyd, I sometimes daydream about ordering a Maple Pharr stock and taking a rasp to it, but am afraid my wife would shoot me if I did. I have ruined more than my share by improving them in.similar fashion. I also daydream of sending my action to Canyon Creek and getting them to make a Kimber type stock for it, but that is not likely to be in the budget anytime soon.

There is good news though, I was at a match in Benton today and only lost two shots to the scope blacking out. That is much better than when at the Regional, so the taller Morr rings helped.