1712 McMillian stock / butt pad

This is what we do.
ter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

1712 McMillian stock / butt pad

Post by ter »

I wanted to mount a thicker butt pad on my 1712. How do you remove the butt pad from a McMillian synthetic stock? On my 1712 the pad appears to be glued.
On my 1808, the pad simply unscrewed. I screwed the new butt pad into some "hard material". The rest of the filler in the stock appeared to be a styrofoam like material that would probably not thread well. Is there material in a 1712 stock that I can screw into, or do i have to put in some special stuff?
I was thinking of selling the stock to get a Pharr setup, so if it is a potentally distructive process, I would just sell it unmolested. I didn't want to rip and tear without some advice.....
Thanks, Ter
nomad
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by nomad »

Since no one with more recent experience has answered:

The last one that I did was some time ago. IIRC I just ground the existing pad flat (there's a steel spacer buried inside it) and epoxied the new pad onto the existing base. I was using shoe-sole material to build a new pad so it wasn't a problem. If you're using a pre-made pad like a Pachmayr, Kickeez or whatever, I think you'll find that you're best off following McMillan's suggestion of just cutting the pad off and starting from there. (It will cut cleanly with a decent back-saw.)

You'll be ahead of the game by just buying one of Mark's stocks...
E Kuney
ter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ter »

Nomad, thanks for the reply. Grinding is a little bit more than I am willing to do. I was just going to fit a "temporary butt pad" while the Pharr stock was being made. I think the McMillian stock will sell better if it is in new condition.
Mark's delivery time for an inletted 1712 stock is 6 weeks, not bad for a custom job! But if he beds it it will be about 4-6 months... That is a long time for me. The season really winds down in September around here in PA.
So now I have to ask, how hard is it to glass a pilliar bedded stock? Seems to me, that the alignment is done by the pillar, and the glassing is pretty straight forward. I can't see that is really necessary to have Mark do the bedding. Primary in my mind is to have the job done right, money is not an issue, and if waiting six month is worth it, that is what I'll do. I just want to get it as soon as possible. I just emailed Mark my request for a clone of this stock, http://server5.theimagehosting.com/imag ... 0stock.jpg , but I didn't decide on the glass bedding issue. By the way, if anyone is interested in the factory McMillian 1712 stock drop me an email.
Thanks, Ter
nomad
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by nomad »

Bedding a stock isn't rocket science but if you've never done one, I'd advise that you at least get together with a knowledgeable shooter who has. Doesn't have to be a professional but you should have an exerienced advisor.
The alternative is to find a 'smith near you and get him to do it. I don't know where you are but I used to live near Lock Haven and I'd think that you could find people around there. If you don't know him, I can contact Al Foust for recommendations.
Mark is certainly THE man to do his stock but his workload is pretty heavy right now.

I'm a little confused -- is Mark sending you a stock with pillars already installed? I just passed a Pharr blank on to a friend of mine here who's going to bed it for a new shooter and it's grooved on centerline but NOT semi-inletted or pillared as it came...?
E Kuney

Whoa whoa whoa....

Post by Guest »

Whoa whoa whoa.... Wait a second here "Cowboy". That stock has a TM on the design and color scheme...That's Chicken's rifle! The Only one like it! You Might want to ask the "designer" of said stock...LOL. I happen to know the guy and he can be bought....Trust me.

Chicken

By the way, I ordered a split finger of the exact same design back in September...haven't decided what I am going to do wiht it yet. It's at Mark's house now... For the right $$$ it could be yours tomorrow + shipping time...LOL. Twist my arm with $$$$$$$ ... oh the madness....

ChickenGeorgeAR "at" yahoo.com

Post by Guest »

Post by Guest »

Nomad, I know Al Foust, from CLSC and we shoot in the 28ft winter league. I shoot with Tylerville, he shoots with Avis. Below is Mark's email describing the stock:
The stocks are $275 for a uninletted flat top, inletted for the 1712 and comes with alum. pillars ready for bedding is $395 and $15 to ship for either. A light weight pad (1.5ozs) removable is $70, trigger guards for the R/T start at $35 the the best one is the Marv Pearson at $85, allen head screws are $13. The R/TS stock you can use the factory trigger guard.

The rifles are 6-8 ozs under the 8 1/2 weight limit, you can add weight to the forend or butt of the stock with lead shot glued in with epoxy.

It is 6-8 weeks for delivery for inletted stocks, if you send the bbl action to me for complete job would be 4-6 months. I am trying to shorten turn around time but will focus on quality not quantity.
To the best of my ability I am going to copy "Chicken Georges'" rifle. Thanks for the additional pictures by the way. I guess because of the blue in the Anschutz logo, blue is what I want to see on a composite stock. Mine will probably sport an American flag on the forearm so it doesn't get mixed up. Is the triggerguard made by Pearson? I specified Pearson to Mark.
Regards, Ter
nomad
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by nomad »

Well, that goes to show what I know! I wasn't aware that Mark supplied them that way! :oops:
(I've only talked with him for about an hour on the phone in the last week -- no reason I should know what's going on!) lol

In that case, bedding it should be simple. I generally prefer to use Devcon Aluminum Putty but Pro-bed 2000 from Score-Hi is excellent and IMO a little easier to work with. Mark can tell you what he likes.

I'd guess that Al has done a few but, if that's not right -- and I'm NOT batting a thousand right now ;-) -- PM me and I'll give you my phone number to see if I can help.

(Or, Phil Miller in Mill Hall probably has someone in the shop who can do it for you...)
E Kuney