Leupold FX-3 questions?

This is what we do.
murderman
Unclassified Poster

Leupold FX-3 questions?

Post by murderman »

Good morning gentlemen,

I am considering the purchase of a Leupold FX-3 25x40 for smallbore silhouette, and have a few questions that I am hoping the forum can assist with:

1. While my preference would be 1/4 MOA clicks, it appears as though 1/8 MOA is the only option without going to the Custom Shop. Do folks tend to find the 1/8 MOA cumbersome, manageable, desirable?

2. How many MOA of adjustment does the scope have per revolution of the elevation turret?

3. Since this model is presumably intended for this sort of activity where elevation adjustments are made frequently, is it reasonable to assume that the reticle tracking is accurate and repeatable?

4. Do most folks tend to use the 3/8 MOA dot or the 1/2 MOA dot?

I realize that these are mostly subjective questions, but it would be helpful to benefit from this forum's specialized experience.

Thank you, John
Pete
A Poster
A Poster

Re: Leupold FX-3 questions?

Post by Pete »

John,
The FX-3, 25X is the "go to" scope for silhouette shooting. The adjustments are repeatable and focus is easy.
The FX-3 comes with 1/4 min clicks and either a 3/8" or 1/2" dot. All Leupold target scopes are assembled in the custom shop now.
If you decide to buy one PM me for a unbeatable price.
Pete
snipes
B Poster
B Poster

Post by snipes »

Great questions John. I'm also in the market for this scope, probably end of month though so I look forward to the responses. I will offer my experience with 1/8 MOA clicks. While it might not be desirable for Silhouette I don't find it an issue. I currently use a Mueller with 1/8 clicks and can cover 40 to 100 yds without having to do a full revolution on the dial.
Pete
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Pete »

John,
OOPS, I forgot part of your question. The FX-3 has 15 min. of elevation change per revolution.
Pete
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

I thought for sure the FX3 silhouette scopes would be 1/4MOA clicks, but I can't find that verbiage on the Leupold site and retailers aren't consistent. Glad to read it from Pete.
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

I only have two of the FX- 3 25x40 scopes and I can tell you that they have 1/4 moa clicks.

The 3/8 MOA for reticle for is too small for me but other people love them.

I can also tell you that Pete has great prices and service.
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

Yup. 1/4 min clicks and 1/2 moa dot is the way mine came. The small dot is harder for my old eyes to pick up all the time, I definately like the bigger 1/2 moa. And the difference from chickens to rams is 10 minutes for me on HP and 9 min on smallbore. There are 14 minutes in a revolution so that is never a problem for my adjustments.
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
murderman
Unclassified Poster

Post by murderman »

Thank you all for taking the time to reply.

I am glad to hear that the W & E adjustments are 1/4 MOA clicks. Page 49 of the 2017 Leupold catalog downloaded from their website clearly states 1/8 MOA, but it certainly wouldn't be the first time that a scope manufacturer published incorrect information.

15 MOA per revolution is perfect. As is typical for subsonic .22LR, my dial-in from Chicken-to-Ram is around 9 MOA depending on which rifle. Adjusting more than one revolution (like when shooting at 300y with a .22LR) isn't a tragedy, but it is sure simpler to stay on the same revolution for silhouette.

I am inclined to go with the 1/2 MOA dot since my eyes are aging, as seems to be the case with many folks in the rimfire community. I took a peek through another gentleman's FX-3 this past weekend at a match, and can definitely understand why the dot is the "preferred" reticle for this activity. Unfortunately, I am not sure which dot size it was.

I could send my VX-3i 6.5-20x40 EFR in for a reticle change, but since my rifle is at 8# 9oz. right now with that scope and the lightweight Talley mounts, reducing a few ounces by going with the fixed power scope would put it legitimately under the hunter-class weight limit. Having less lenses in the optic for better light transmission also wouldn't seem to hurt with the very small exit pupils these devices have.

Pete, I have seen your name come up before on this site, so I will send you a PM to initiate the dialog on a potential purchase.

Thanks again.
Jim Beckley
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Jim Beckley »

While we are on the subject of these scopes, does anyone make plastic covers that fit these scopes?
U.S. Army-Donating blood since 1775.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Jim Beckley wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:34 am While we are on the subject of these scopes, does anyone make plastic covers that fit these scopes?
Heck with plastic covers. I want the aluminum screw on covers! I love those!
\m/
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

OldRanger wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:28 pm Yup. 1/4 min clicks and 1/2 moa dot is the way mine came. The small dot is harder for my old eyes to pick up all the time, I definately like the bigger 1/2 moa. And the difference from chickens to rams is 10 minutes for me on HP and 9 min on smallbore. There are 14 minutes in a revolution so that is never a problem for my adjustments.
Ditto and is 10.5 at Rams[100m] at our range in SB. Best Scope I ever had.
LH CZ 452 Amer, Free Floated, FX-3 25X40, D3 Rings, TAC-22
https://www.beloitrifleclub.org/shootin ... ilhouette/
dan2116
B Poster
B Poster

Post by dan2116 »

I have a VX3 6.5x20 EFR and can't remember it's moa adjustment. My guess would be 1/4" . Can anyone confirm. Thank you
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

dan2116 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:08 pm I have a VX3 6.5x20 EFR and can't remember it's moa adjustment. My guess would be 1/4" . Can anyone confirm. Thank you
Yes, each click is 1/4 MOA.
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
dan2116
B Poster
B Poster

Post by dan2116 »

I am looking to buy FX-3 25x40 . How does the 50 yard minimum A/O adjustment work for 40 meter (44 yard ) targets?
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

dan2116 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:34 pm I am looking to buy FX-3 25x40 . How does the 50 yard minimum A/O adjustment work for 40 meter (44 yard ) targets?
It actually is perfect at 40 meters.
LH CZ 452 Amer, Free Floated, FX-3 25X40, D3 Rings, TAC-22
https://www.beloitrifleclub.org/shootin ... ilhouette/