Leupold FX-3 questions?

This is what we do.
murderman
Unclassified Poster

Re: Leupold FX-3 questions?

Post by murderman »

Received the FX-3 from Pete yesterday, and am very appreciative for him providing the scope at such a reasonable price.....thank you Pete!

Here are a couple pics of the rifle with its new glass:

I went to the range today to sight in, and here is a pics of some 5-shot groups at 50y using SK-match shot off front and rear bags. Considering that there were a bunch of guys shooting centerfire semi-autos from adjacent stations, I'd say the groups are quite acceptable for a sporter rifle intended to be fired offhand.

teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

With the shooting around you, your groups are very nice. Enjoy.
LH CZ 452 Amer, Free Floated, FX-3 25X40, D3 Rings, TAC-22
https://www.beloitrifleclub.org/shootin ... ilhouette/
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ken Green »

That wouls be tough to shoot small groups with the centerfire rifles going off on the side of you.
frankmako
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by frankmako »

that is some good, very good groups. how did the new scope track?
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

That stock looks familiar.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

dan2116 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:34 pm I am looking to buy FX-3 25x40 . How does the 50 yard minimum A/O adjustment work for 40 meter (44 yard ) targets?
The way I remember it, the original FX3 25x40 would only focus down to 50 yards, but Leupold changed that pretty fast when the community chimed in. Now, they work fine down to 40 meters. Unless Leupold changed something, adjustments are 1/4 MOA. My favorite reticle has been the 3/8 MOA, but as age works me over the 1/2 MOA may be interesting.
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
murderman
Unclassified Poster

Post by murderman »

frankmako wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:21 pm that is some good, very good groups. how did the new scope track?
The rifle is actually capable of shooting in the 0.1's for 5-shots at 50y off bags if I do my part. The W&E adjustments are precise both in terms of calibration against a known target size at a known distance, as well as the "box test". Due to the target size, I only ran about 12 MOA in each direction. Not that this scope has the range of adjustment available anyway, but I'm not sure how it would hold up to the 50 MOA adjustments that I make on the NF on my 300y .22LR rifle, but it is certainly good to go for silhouette distances.

Al, I bought this rifle recently from a guy in Arkansas. It was also posted for sale here on SC, which may be where you remember seeing it?

As far as the A/O adjustment range, I am mostly concerned with eliminating parallax as much as possible. If that happens to also produce a 100% focused image, then that is a bonus and means the reticle is also actually in proper focus (which can be a bit more challenging to accomplish with a fixed magnification scope versus a variable mag type). Here are some pics of my parallax-free calibrations at lasered 40, 60, 77, and 100m targets.

A few things to note:
-There is a very small bit of adjustment available below my 40m setting.
-The factory marked numbers are not even close to my adjustments; I don't know why [some] manufacturers even put numbers on the scopes in the first place.
-There is quite a bit of adjustment available past the "infinity" factory marking, although I have not tested for parallax at greater than 100m.

The local match this past weekend was cancelled due to the range being flooded, so I have not yet had the chance to try the new scope under actual match conditions. There is another match about 1.5 hours drive from my house next weekend that I will probably go to.

Hope this helps. It would be good to hear if my observations are consistent with those from other folks.
MOTO VITA
A Poster
A Poster

Post by MOTO VITA »

Where'd ya get the little red dots?
murderman
Unclassified Poster

Post by murderman »

MOTO VITA wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:43 am Where'd ya get the little red dots?
They are from a Dykem paint marker .

If you are concerned about needing to remove them for any reason, acetone works well.
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

I also have the 50 foot screw on adapter for our indoor winter paper practice.
https://www.leupold.com/gear-and-access ... us-adapter
LH CZ 452 Amer, Free Floated, FX-3 25X40, D3 Rings, TAC-22
https://www.beloitrifleclub.org/shootin ... ilhouette/
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

OldRanger wrote: ↑
Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:28 pm
Yup. 1/4 min clicks and 1/2 moa dot is the way mine came. The small dot is harder for my old eyes to pick up all the time, I definately like the bigger 1/2 moa. And the difference from chickens to rams is 10 minutes for me on HP and 9 min on smallbore. There are 14 minutes in a revolution so that is never a problem for my adjustments.

Where did you get that one.... Mine has 14 min plus 0 to make 15 minutes per rev. All the way up to 30 min for the 1,000 yard shot.
chardonnay
A Poster
A Poster

Post by chardonnay »

I ordered my Fx3 custom and it was actually cheaper