learning day

This is what we do.
p14shooter
B Poster
B Poster

learning day

Post by p14shooter »

Well, this is just a follow up to let you know how things progressed for me.
I held an informational shoot last weekend to try and get people out to see what silhouette was all about. 6 out of the 12 people who expressed interest showed up. This from the 5000 people the notice hopefully reached if everyone who was supposed to, forwarded the notice to their membership.
Everyone said it was a fun day. I was just using swingers as that is all I have right now. I gave out a question sheet at the end to gauge interest and see if this was a program that was worth developing here. Everyone said that it was something that they would do with only the brand new shooters saying it would just interest them recreationally. Some people had shot the swingers before and thought it a great idea with the backing paper to see your misses. Like me, no one had done that until now. It makes things much better. So, I think I will try it again in September, and see if I can pull some more people out of the woodwork.

I tried to have as much information for them as I could. I told them about the classes (we all shot B) as well as the hunter and target class. I had elevation corrections for them there as well as paper targets at the firing line with grids on them showing MOA so they could make adjustments with as little waste of ammunition as possible, as well as to make the day flow smoother. Told how misses or mis shot targets were scored in an official match, talked about the time limits

I thought as a growing jackpot to suggest everyone throwing in an extra loonie (Canadian term for a dollar) and whoever shot 5 in a row turkeys would wind the prize. If no one one, then it would grow to the next shoot until someone won it. It was a 50/50 split on the idea.

Overall, I was pleased with how the day went and will try it again. Either for a fun day, or for a prize day and try to grow it.

In an official 40 shot match, do you shoot all the animals and then leave the line or do you fill one line, shoot the 10 targets, then have another group shoot then repeat until all shooters have at least shot once and then move to the next target?

I will keep reading here to learn, and see how much patience I have to push this forward.

Maybe if Maine has some shoots I will try to get to them in the next year or two.
Hotrodrockets
A Poster
A Poster

Re: learning day

Post by Hotrodrockets »

Just keep trying.... then drag people kicking and screaming to the match. Works for me.

Nova Scotia? Hmmm... perhaps a road trip to New Hampshire? Not too far if you take the CAT across. Visit Pioneer Sportsmen or try thie big Cowboy Silhouette deal they have coming up in August.

You can see how a Silhouette match should be done. They run a good Show.

Here's the linky thing http://www.pioneersportsmen.org/discipl ... silhouette
Tennessee Sports Foundation President / Metallic Silhouette Society
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

It has been my experience that summer is a slow time to get new shooters. Everyone is out every weekend on a family outing. An evening after work may give you a better turn-out.

We shot indoor league during the winter and had 70 shooters. We shot NRA 50 foot reduced targets. Summer came and we were lucky to have 10 show up for an outdoor shoot.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

I had good luck with the after work matches. Most people want the weekends for family stuff unless they are addicted like we are.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
ShootingStar
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ShootingStar »

p14,
In response to your question about match firing protocol. . .

With the free-standing targets most folks fill up the line then shoot 10 (in the sub-sets of 5 of course), the line made safe (open actions, empty chamber indicators in, magazines out and rifles put in racks - not on bench pointing down range), then the people who just fired go down range and reset and repaint the targets and return to the firing line. If another relay is needed, the next relay goes to the line and fires and resets. This goes on until all relays have shot at their 1st set of animals.
Then, Relay 1 moves to their next animal, etc. etc. etc.

If you need some of the free-standing, NRA approved 1/5 scale animals, let me know. . . I know a guy (me).
Shameless plug! But I did want to answer your question about match process.
I'm the Match Director at my club, so if you have question, let me know.

ShootingStar
Greg Chandler - NCSilhouette <dot> com
sales <at> NCSilhouette <dot> com
work - eight 2 eight 687 two 1 4 4
cell (evenings) eight 2 eight 989 fifty-seven 6 8
p14shooter
B Poster
B Poster

Post by p14shooter »

Jerry G. It would be great if I could do an indoor shoot, but we can not do steel indoors and cutting all that out of wood would be laborious. But possible I suppose. Winter or summer here does not seem to matter. I hold an interclub shoot during the winter for sporting rifle and get the same 20 guys. I have tried fun shoots during the winter with poor response. Maybe a paper silhouette would be ok, keep people tuned up but mostly those who are shooting paper indoors dont do anything more than sporting rifle and move to centerfire over the summer and I would not see them anyway. Everyone knows that our sport here seems to be dying a slow death (on the 22 side anyway), but I do keep trying to find what gets peoples blood pumping before we do bleed to death.

Shooting Star. Thanks for the info. I do have a source here for scale targets.

Hotrodrockets. New Hampshire. Hmmm. Sounds like I will have to save money for my wife to. Wont be this year but I would love to get there.

Paul
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

p14shooter wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:09 pm Jerry G. It would be great if I could do an indoor shoot, but we can not do steel indoors and cutting all that out of wood would be laborious. But possible I suppose. Winter or summer here does not seem to matter. I hold an interclub shoot during the winter for sporting rifle and get the same 20 guys. I have tried fun shoots during the winter with poor response. Maybe a paper silhouette would be ok, keep people tuned up but mostly those who are shooting paper indoors dont do anything more than sporting rifle and move to centerfire over the summer and I would not see them anyway. Everyone knows that our sport here seems to be dying a slow death (on the 22 side anyway), but I do keep trying to find what gets peoples blood pumping before we do bleed to death.

Shooting Star. Thanks for the info. I do have a source here for scale targets.

Hotrodrockets. New Hampshire. Hmmm. Sounds like I will have to save money for my wife to. Wont be this year but I would love to get there.

Paul
Paul, get the TQ-14 paper targets for 50' indoors https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/46501 ... ack-of-100
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

You beat me to it Bob.