Barrel Weight Question

This is what we do.
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Barrel Weight Question

Post by thauglor »

jask wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:53 pm Once again, silhouette shooters have shot themselves full of Fosdick size holes. Why on Earth have two classes both allowing custom rifles. That's insane. Just shoot twice the amount with one rifle, one scope with less cost and maintenance.

BTW, are you familiar with the IMSSU rules on hunter rifle? I was on the rules committee when those were written. Hunter rifles must have an original or factory replacement barrel. Let common sense reign.
Hunters build custom hunting rifles all the time, its called hunter class, not factory class.

I personally think the money spent on the barrel would be better spent on either ammo or a silhouette stock.
jask
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jask »

deleted
Last edited by jask on Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Feel free to create a separate thread to complain about this same thing yet again with all of the same statements that lead nowhere or reply to one of the other complaint threads to bring it to the top. Erich is asking a legitimate question here in this thread according the rules that we all agree to abide by.
Emietenkorte
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Emietenkorte »

jask wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:49 pm "Hunters build custom hunting rifles all the time, its called hunter class, not factory class"

That is the weakest argument yet. Do you have any idea why we even have the hunter class? It was conceived that the hunter class would once again enable a shooter to take his low cost hunting rifle out of the closet and feel competitive. All the fancy and costly rifles would be in a class of their own. The people who failed us was the silhouette rules committee in their lack of defining what the hunter class would be. Who was on that committee? The top shooters in the sport who had their own agendas.

I remember Troy Lawton telling us that it didn't matter what he shot, he was going to beat us anyway. That is probably true but it should not give him the right to do what he wants and destroy the sport.

The way the current rules are written is a total joke. Even though it says, "The intent of this rule is to describe a common hunting rifle", if you look at the rules, custom actions are not specifically denied nor are custom cartridges or chambering. All it has to do is basically "look" like a hunting rifle. If you look at the hunter scores in the recent matches, you can easily see that highly accurate custom rifles are norm for the hunter game. I doubt if any of those rifles used to win those matches could even chamber factory loads.

Hey, not to sound rude, but I'm just trying to get a question answered here, not give you a soap box... if you have something useful to say about the question asked great, I would love to hear it. If you just want to rant then start your own thread instead of hijacking this one. You talk about people and their own agendas... how bout you stop spouting yours....

The sport isn't being destroyed, I started shooting silhouette 3 years ago and absolutely love it. Building a gun is part of the fun for me, stop trying to kill my fun, your negativity is what can destroy the sport.
jask
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jask »

I apologize if I offended you.
OnaginOffagin
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by OnaginOffagin »

And, yeah, Emietenkorte, I got you into the game... but it's not my fault you're THIS MUCH into the game! Ahahahahahahaha!
"Honor, Respect, Service, Humility....." (Lt. Gen. Hal Moore 1st Bn, 7th Cavalry)
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Just remember that you can't buy a master classification. You have to earn it with good shooting. Once you have a SB that will shoot minute groups day after day, it is practice and more practice. I get tire of saying it is the Indian, not the arrow or the bow. Perfect practice makes for great shooting.
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

Usually, the practical reason for a custom barrel in small bore is to shift the balance point. But it has always amazed me how well CZ or Anschutz factory rifles shoot with pillar bedding and a little skilled gunsmith tuning. That said, the typical Hunter class custom barrel is a light Varmint or #3 contour, and they will improve the accuracy of your rifle. More important, though, is to find an ammunition your rifle likes, buy a case, and see how much of that you can use up practicing.
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis