CZ Varmint stock

This is what we do.
mdietrich
B Poster
B Poster

CZ Varmint stock

Post by mdietrich »

Looking at purchasing a CS 455 Varmint for light rifle competition- all standing. Is it a decent stock? Do many use it for silhouette?

7.1 lb should work pretty well with a scope, and way less money than a 1712.
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: CZ Varmint stock

Post by thauglor »

Hi!

We bought my fiance a 455 American and got a 455 varmint stock for it. We like the wider forend of the stock, and since it was wooden it was easier to reduce length of pull.

We went with the American instead of the varmint because of the tapered barrel. I wanted her to be able to shoot both classes with 1 gun. The varmint has a bull barrel.

The cz455 series is a great rifle for silhouette.
frankmako
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by frankmako »

The CZ 455 American is a good smallbore rife. I pickup one three years ago for a backup rifle to my 1712 and a loaner to new shooter's . Put on a El Paso Weaver T16 and dropped in Timney trigger. Did a ammo test and found SK + was the best. The rifle shoots better than me.
mdietrich
B Poster
B Poster

Post by mdietrich »

Isn't the added weight of the Varmint better for Silhouette- or just because no taper to the barrel no one uses them?

For NRA light rifle there is not taper requirement, why I am thinking if the stock is very similar I would prefer the Varmint.
ShootingStar
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ShootingStar »

mdietrich wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:00 pm Isn't the added weight of the Varmint better for Silhouette- or just because no taper to the barrel no one uses them?

For NRA light rifle there is not taper requirement, why I am thinking if the stock is very similar I would prefer the Varmint
The Varmint barrel is allowed in Hunter rifle because it is tapered (as long as the whole set-up is below 8.5 lbs). Most people like the weight-forward feel of a rifle so that it dampens the movements. BUT it is important to consider YOUR (or your significant other's) fit and feel. What works for others is something to consider, but if it don't work for you, then don't do it. Just don't forget that the 1st (few) times you try something new, including a different gun, it may feel wierd. If it feels awful, then by all means, don't go that direction. If it is different, but only slightly so, it may be something worth trying out. My guess is the muzzle-heavy feel is probably favored 2 to 1 over the other. That's just my estimate - again if you can't stand it, it's not for you.

Good Luck! Remember, "It's the Indian, not the arrow." That means, whatever your get, if you practice enough (especially with guidance from some AAA and Master shooters) YOU will hit more targets and move up through the Classes. Cathy Winstead-Severin could likely beat us all (most of us anyway) using anyone's rifle, not just her own!!!

ShootingStar
Greg