Cost to set back and rechamber a 1907 barrel?

This is what we do.
SteveD
AA Poster
AA Poster

Cost to set back and rechamber a 1907 barrel?

Post by SteveD »

I looked in the chamber of my rifle with a bore scope. Pretty disappointed with what I saw. I looks as though the reamer was well past its date to be resharpened or retired.

It was purchased new from Killough as a 1907-U6 barreled action.

What should it cost to have the barrel set back and rechambered?
Last edited by SteveD on Fri May 18, 2018 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Cost to set back and rechamber a 1907 barrel?

Post by atomicbrh »

All bores look like death warmed over through a bore scope. Never worry about looks. If it shoots acceptable groups do not go to the trouble or expense to set back and chamber. Group size is the only thing that counts.
Pete
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Pete »

Hey Steve, up here in the Northwest, to remove the barrel, thread the action then cut, thread and install the old barrel like a new build runs about $260. For $360 more ($620 total) you can have a brand new Lilja on your 1907.
Pete
SteveD
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by SteveD »

Thanks Pete but no threads on this one. Anschutz 54. Does that make a difference?
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Pete is saying the majority of rifle builders cut threads with a lathe or CNC center in the 54 receiver where from the factory there was just a clamp/tenon joint "press" fit. Then they machine the same thread pitch on the barrel so that it screws in. They also true the face of the receiver and the face of the shoulder of the barrel as part of that process.

The other option is to keep the tenon press fit and just machine a new tenon area farther down the barrel accommodating the reaming of the chamber farther down inside the barrel. Evelio(Emac) the rifle builder on this forum prefers to keep the tenon set-up but I think he trues the receiver face and the barrel shoulder as part of that process.

People have different reasons they choose between the two methods.
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ken Green »

Steve D: What size group are you getting at 100 yards for 5 shots? Maybe test some other ammo to see if you can get better accuracy.

Please do not go by what you see through the bore scope. The bore scope makes the inside of every barrel look a lot worse than it actually is. It would be better to go by how accurately the barrel is shooting (grouping) a 5 shot group at 100 yards from the bench. If you are shooting a 5 shot group at 100 yards that measures 1 inch or smaller, keep shooting that rifle just like it is.

Several years ago, I purchased a used Anschutz modell 54 match single shot. I could not get any ammo to shoot decent. I tried CCI Blazer, SK, laupa, Eley, Ten-X and just about everything in between. No matter what ammo I tried, the barrel just would not group small enough for silhouette.

So I had the original Anschutz barrel replaced with a tight bore, fast twist stainless shilen barrel. The gunsmith threaded the barrel and the receiver and what ever else he did. The barrel was chambered with a tight match chamber. Every round that I chamber now is engraved with rifling marks.

The rifle will now shoot 5 shots into a 3/4 to 1 inch group at 100 yards from the bench using SK standard plus. Laupa Center-X shoots a little bit tighter than the SK. The Center-X is a little out of my price range. I have gotten some groups with the Center-X that measured 5/8-3/4" at 100 yards.

I would say between $250 and $350 to cut, set back and rechamber your existing barrel, but it depends on the gunsmith.
I would suggest contacting Mark Pharr. Here is a link to his website. http://www.tumbleweedsrifles.com/ html
His contact information is Mark Pharr Round Rock, TX 78681 512-246-7563 Email: tumbleweedsrifles@gmail.com
He is a Member of Team Lapua, NRA High Power and Smallbore Rifle Silhouette. He is an active silhouette shooter.
Mark has done work for myself and several of the silhouette shooters in my club in Gonzales, Louisiana.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Just a suggestion but if having group size problems, ask one or your fellow competitors in the upper part of Master class to look over the rifle and shoot it for groups. Often another person can spot the technical problem that the first person missed.
GSL
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GSL »

HI ALL ,
THIS topic is especially close to MY heart ...
I think that WE should start by asking just HOW GOOD can a .22 LR round CAN do at 100 yds / meters !
IN MY experience ... 5 shot groups at .25 inches is about IT !!!
Multiply that by 1.6 or 1.7 and you have the ULTIMATE 10 shot group possible ...
IN other words ... a HALF MINUTE rifle ! YES ...
BELIEVE ME they are FAR and FEW in between and DO NOT last long !!!
MORE than likely we are looking at .650 - .750 !!!
THAT translates to 3/8 inch to 1/2 inch groups at 100 / yds or meters ...
IN BENCHREST ... they DO 5 shot groups ...
I DO 10 shot groups ...
SO , in all likelihood .70 - less than 1 inch CONSISTENTLY at 100 yds / meters for 10 shots is ALL we have available to US !

NOW , go shoot your 1907 and see HOW IT compares ...
thank you GSL .
jeff59
B Poster
B Poster

Post by jeff59 »

Ken Green wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 12:00 pm Steve D: What size group are you getting at 100 yards for 5 shots? Maybe test some other ammo to see if you can get better accuracy.

Please do not go by what you see through the bore scope. The bore scope makes the inside of every barrel look a lot worse than it actually is. It would be better to go by how accurately the barrel is shooting (grouping) a 5 shot group at 100 yards from the bench. If you are shooting a 5 shot group at 100 yards that measures 1 inch or smaller, keep shooting that rifle just like it is.

Several years ago, I purchased a used Anschutz modell 54 match single shot. I could not get any ammo to shoot decent. I tried CCI Blazer, SK, laupa, Eley, Ten-X and just about everything in between. No matter what ammo I tried, the barrel just would not group small enough for silhouette.

I agree with Ken on this. If you're getting sub 1 inch 5 shot groups at 100 meters it's good enough for silhouette. Spend your time dry firing, it will make more difference to your scores than a new barrel or better ammo.

When it comes to wringing the most out of a .22 I'd say the benchrest guys have it figured our. Most of the smallbore benchrest competitions are 25 shots, one shot per bull, at 50 yards. Rifles in the $3000-$6000 range, shooting off rests costing upwards of $2000, and $20/box ammo is the norm. I'm most familiar with ARA where the 25 shot group size must be smaller than .276" and centered on the bull to score 2500. That's the equivalent to a .604" group at 100 meters. The best group I ever heard of was .208", equivalent to .455" at 100 meters. Expecting .5 MOA from our silhouette rifles would definitely be a stretch.

This is the best I've ever seen from my factory 1710, 25 shots, indoors, at 50 yards. 1.008 MOA. If I could find that lot number again I'd buy it all and never look back.
Test Target
Group Stats

Find a combo that shoots good enough and dry fire a lot. It's the fastest and cheapest way to improve your scores.

Jeff
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

As has already been mentioned, I think we need a bit more reality thrown into claims of accuracy in discussions like this. There are very few 22lr silhouette rifles that will shoot 10-shot 0.75" center-to-center groups off of a bench at 100 meters. There are even fewer shooters who can do it, even with good conditions and wind flags. Silhouette stocks are not benchrest stocks. They are designed for standing shooting, not repeatable tracking on rests. Most silhouette ammo testing isn't done off of benchrest gear with finely adjustable rests. If you can consistently shoot 10-shot groups of 1.0" or less center-to-center, then stop ammo testing and buy as much of it as you can. Unless you shoot at temperatures much higher or lower than when you did the testing, you should be good until you run out of that ammo.

I have seen way too many new, and sometimes not-so-new, silhouette shooters spend years and thousands of dollars on rifles and ammo trying to achieve that 1/2 MOA 10-shot center-to-center group consistently without ever buying/making a single wind flag or really focusing on their bench technique. It takes very little wind or cant of the rifle on the rests to move a 22lr bullet well out of a group at 100 meters. If those shooters had taken the first rifle/ammo combo that produced 1 MOA groups and fit them well in standing position and spent the rest of the time and money practicing, they would have been much farther ahead.
GSL
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GSL »

thank you JASON ...

ALL my target rifles and especially MY silhouette WILL in fact do THOSE groups by ME off a benchrest setup of MY liking !
I only use a 2 piece rest AND I hold just like I hold in silhouette ... HARD !
ALL I was trying tp impress was that WE start with testing the equipment ... THEN WE add the MAN !

NOW that we know what is possible from the equipment ... THEN and only then do we start to FIT that gun for OFFHAND position ...
Getting back to that original question ... should I think about rebarreling OR rechambering ???
MOST ANSCHUTZ target rifles will handle OUR accuracy NEEDS ... A 1907 is NO exception !
I do not believe that you need to rechamber ... but rather FOCUS on building a rock steady position AND practice in the WIND ...
THIS starts with fitting THAT rifle ... LIKE A GLOVE !!!
I hope this does not fall on deaf ears ...
thank you GSL .
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

GSL and Jason,
Hopefully the newbies pay attention to your replies.
There is a lot of wisdom in those replies.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

This might be an opportunity for the OP to build a full on custom silhouette rifle.
Of course you could buy a fair amount of ammo and practice but what is there in that compared to ordering up a beautiful exhibition grade walnut stock?
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

I guess that depends on whether the OP wants a pretty rifle or to knock down more targets. You can write a check for a pretty rifle. You need a rifle that fits you and to expend the ammo, time and effort to knock down more targets. A pretty rifle is nice, but a scoresheet with a higher X count and lower O count is beautiful. :mrgreen:
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

No argument here but a really pretty that shoots really well that fits the shooter because the stock was custom fitted is very enjoyable to shoot. If the gunsmith did a good job then it should shoot very well.

Now that would be a rifle that was enjoyable to practice with and compete with.

A pretty rifle can shoot well too. Time spent dry and live firing with a pretty rifle can help the match scores too.