Yet another 10/22 Shooter

This is what we do.
Irish764
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Irish764 »

These are exactly the stories/comments that got me started down the "tweaked" 10/22 road in the first place.

Gradual expenditure over time versus laying out a grand or more at once in hopes of getting the gun you like......

Shooting a "Walmart" gun better than most "Target" rifles.....

Playing and tweaking and adjusting on your own rather than sending the gun off to some shop for weeks at a time.....

I know myself well enough to know that I'll have more fun shooting "OK" with a gun I built than shooting "great" with a gun I bought. After all....the journey is what makes the trip worthwhile!!
Is minic a bhris be
GeoNLR
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by GeoNLR »

Irish764 wrote:
Shooting a "Walmart" gun better than most "Target" rifles.....
Just so that we are all on the same page, I was kidding when I said "Wal-Mart" rifle...LOL. Like I mentioned, I have one in the safe with well over $1K invested. ...Great part about it now is that I can take the bloop tube off and thread my supressor on....Fun stuff.
Image Chicken George
jneihouse
Distinguished Master Poster
Distinguished Master Poster

Post by jneihouse »

INVARIABLY, it's the very same guy who gave me that "Little Gun Sneer" who comes over my way and asks, "What kind of gun 'ya shootin', there?"
My standard answer is, "Aw, ain't nothin' but a little ol' .22... but it shoots pretty good."

Just this weekend, there were a couple guys shooting high powers on the range when I was practicing with my 10/22 at 100 yards. I use the lids from 2 lb. coffee cans as substitute targets. They are a little bit less than 6" in dia. Just a hair bit larger than the ram at 100 yd.
Just a comment, not a flame. This is a whole 'nother class of shooter than silhouette shooters. I tuned a Weatherby Vanguard in .308 (just a simple trigger adjustment and made sure everythine was tight) for a good friend over the labor day weekend. He called me on Tuesday reallly excited and then faxed me a target. One shot at 128 (estimated) yards almost in the bullseye......He was estatic. I thought a bit about it and decided thatts' not a bad thing. He's a hunter, and in our neck of the woods a 128 yard shot on a whitetail is a long shot. I guess that's all that counts in that game. Silhouette, however, is a bit different.

Kitty
Commander in Chief, F Troop
Worker 11811
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Worker 11811 »

I understand what you're saying. The majority of hunters are good guys. I like shooting with them. In fact, there are several guys I share targets with. As I said above, I often leave targets out for others to shoot at when I go home.

Have you ever seen a guy shoot a golf ball with a .30-06?! :shock: ;)

I was talking about those guys who act all macho with their "big guns" as if nobody over the age of 12 years should shoot a gun as small as a .22.

I get along pretty well with most of the hunters and the recreational shooters. They often joke around with me when I miss an easy one. We have a good time.

It's the other guys I just like to make good-natured fun of. ;)
Irish764
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Irish764 »

The fundamentals of shooting are the same, regardless of the caliber. I met a guy once who wore the President's 100 tab on his uniform (Army). His recommendation to me was to get an air-rifle or a .22 and shoot it as much as possible. No fear of recoil would reduce the "Flinch" response.....
Is minic a bhris be
Worker 11811
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Worker 11811 »

I couldn't agree more! :)

I've got several rifles in the gun safe.
There is an M-1 and a couple of 30 cal deer rifles. There are a few shotguns. And I keep a Glock in my night stand.

I like shooting them all. But I like shooting the .22. The ammo is a lot cheaper. And it will shoot the fuzz off a gnat's a$$! :D
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

And it is about the fun.
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ
saikatana
B Poster
B Poster

10/22 Ruger Silhouette Rifle

Post by saikatana »

I have only gotten one 5 pin for Turkeys ...it was with a STOCK 10/22 Ruger. Also in case no one is fimiliar with the site, Rimfirecentral.com
has more 10/22 Ruger tips and tricks then you could believe!!!
Good Shooting to All
carl425
A Poster
A Poster

Post by carl425 »

What do you think this means?

Wednesday, I'm on a business trip and check into a hotel. They give me room 1022. I'm thinking this will be easy to remember - Ruger room. I settle into the room, open the laptop and check the steelchickens forum - and there is this discussion started on the 10/22 which is the first I recall seeing since I started following the forum.

A coincidence?
NewAZShooter
A Poster
A Poster

Post by NewAZShooter »

Carl, it sounds like the universe wants you to build yourself a 10/22.

I just received in the mail my Bell and Carlson Anschutz-style stock in black with grey spiderweb pattern. This should be the last part I add to my old 10/22. But who knows for sure.

There are not any adjustable plates or anything on this one, but it sure fits nicely into the palm of my hand and pocket of my shoulder. Can't wait to get it out to the range.

My first rifle silhouette match I used my 10/22. I had a lot of guys approach and tell me that it is very difficult to shoot well with that model, due to the slower lock time. And I think there is probably some truth to that. I also think that if I shoot it enough, I should be able to get the timing down to where that factor is reduced some. And urban myth or not, we've all heard stories of master class shooters winning matches with one just to prove it can be done.

The only match I ever won was shot using my 10/22. Most of the good shooters were at the State Championships at the time, so I was only shooting against A class shooters (I was new, and was shooting in B at the time, but 25/60 won the whole enchilada). I can still say that my 10/22 has won a match in S.B. silhouette out at Rio Salado Sportsman's Club.

More importantly, as others have said here, it is just such a fun little rifle to shoot...

I am pretty new here, so take this with a grain of salt, but my motto has become to shoot what you've got until you're convinced your equipment has become a limiting factor in your improvement.
~JW

Love it when those chickens fly!

CZ 452 Silhouette
Ruger 10/22 W/ Clark Custom Barrel, B&C Anschutz Style Stock
Interarms Mark X 30.06
Browning BuckMark .22LR
T/C .22 LR, .22 Hornet
Ruger GP-100 .357 Mag
catmasher
Unclassified Poster

Post by catmasher »

I now have the "alltomate" 10-22, started out as a T10-22, did ALL the mod's on PerfectUnion got trigger down to 2#'s then that was not good enough, so in went a SET TRIGGER from a guy in Florida, that was great had a lot of people looking and hoping it was theirs. Well that stock just isn't good enough for silhouette shooting so let's get a Boyd thumbhole that should do it.....then that 12 oz. set trigger just isn't GOOD enough, so I called KIDD and ordered a trigger assy. and new ejector, in about 4 days it was in and NOW I HAVE THE BEST........................
It shoots great, feels great and the trigger is something to die for...so how much have I got into this, I don't know and I don't care, it's that good.
I have a master class shooter that has been teaching me the finer point of this game and he thinks I'm crazy even thinking of shooting that in heavy class, he thinks that there is way too much difference in the trigger pull that it will just screw me up even more that I am already.
The master shooter liked the trigger, 7oz-7oz 2 stage but it was too light for him.
Most shooters around here just shoot one gun in both classes, thinking that one trigger pull is enough to master.
My other hunter gun is a KIMBER.
what do you think? two gun or won?
one gun one load
Worker 11811
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Worker 11811 »

carl425 wrote:What do you think this means?

Wednesday, I'm on a business trip and check into a hotel. They give me room 1022. I'm thinking this will be easy to remember - Ruger room. I settle into the room, open the laptop and check the steelchickens forum - and there is this discussion started on the 10/22 which is the first I recall seeing since I started following the forum.

A coincidence?
You should call room service and order some fried chicken. (or go to KFC for take out chicken.) :D
NewAZShooter wrote:My first rifle silhouette match I used my 10/22. I had a lot of guys approach and tell me that it is very difficult to shoot well with that model, due to the slower lock time.
Isn't that what having the firing pin reshaped and the rear of the bolt ground to a larger radius is supposed to take care of?
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

catmasher wrote:Most shooters around here just shoot one gun in both classes, thinking that one trigger pull is enough to master.
My other hunter gun is a KIMBER.
what do you think? two gun or won?
Muscle memory is an interesting thing and a favorite topic of a favorite professor, so here's what I think I know.

If two similar learned patterns are associated with enough different cues then they can be kept separate. In other words, if the rifles feel different enough in other ways, and you practice enough, you should be able to keep them separate.
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ
pistolero45
A Poster
A Poster

Post by pistolero45 »

I use a stock Ruger 10/22 for my hunter rifle and really like it. A previous shooter mentioned www.rimfirecentral.com, which is a treasure trove of tips to tweak performance. And if a person likes to tinker (I do!) this will provide hours of entertainment.

The lock time does feel a little bit slow, but if you concentrate on your "follow through", it will not be much of a problem.
Mark
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

I've become so accustomed to the 1712 (it didn't take long) that everything else seems awkward. Since I like to experiment others will get a try out, but the 1712 keeps returning as my primary rifle.