Yet another 10/22 Shooter

This is what we do.
Irish764
B Poster
B Poster

Yet another 10/22 Shooter

Post by Irish764 »

I'm new to this forum and new to silhouette shooting. I've enjoyed some of the posts re: the venerable 10/22 and, like most "newbies" I've got a ton of questions....I'll keep it to just a few for now...

I'm interested in the Bell&Carlson Odyssey stock (2 position)....is it a legal stock for small-bore silhouette? My second choice is a Boyd's evolution....I'm a left handed shooter with a right handed daughter (teenager) and a right handed (we think) son (still a toddler) who will most likely "inherit" this weapon as their first competion rifle....so I'd like to stay with something "ambidextrous" in order to make the transition. Suggestions/input???

I've already mounted a Whistle Pig barrel (very pleased, thusfar) and am considering a Volquartsen versus Kidd trigger assembly....again...input or suggestions would be most appreicated.

I know the 10/22 isn't the greatest silhouette rifle and for what I'm about to spend on it I could get an entry level Anshutz but hey...part of the appeal for me is the "tinkerability" of the 10/22. All is not lost however...I do have a CZ 452 Lux on hold!!!

Thanks for a great forum!!
Is minic a bhris be
stsbuyer
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

10-22

Post by stsbuyer »

I have two 10-22's set up to shoot silhouette both right handed. If the Odyessy stocks forend at no point drops below 2-1/4" form the centerline of the bore then it would be legal. You will have to check but I think the butt plate will have to be centered or at least not drop below the bottom line of the stock. Not sure about the check rest other than it can not rise above the center line of the bore. Good luck in your search for a stock.

Paul
Irish764
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Irish764 »

Thanks, Paul. I'll have to check the fore-end issue. I'm almost certain the cheek-piece will be OK.
Is minic a bhris be
GeoNLR
Sponsor
Sponsor

Re: Yet another 10/22 Shooter

Post by GeoNLR »

Irish764 wrote: considering a Volquartsen versus Kidd trigger assembly....again...input or suggestions would be most appreicated.
Ok, When one is looking to up-grade a $169 Wal-Mart rifle with a $200 trigger group, why not buy the best and get the $300 upgrade? LOL.

(Pssst ... that is what I did on my "$169" Wal-Mart rifle)

Funny thing about those 10/22's.... the logic is sound in the beginning.... up-grade as you go, build to how you want it, etc. Somewhere down the road you end up with a rifle costing more than $1,000 ...EASY!!! They sure are fun to shoot however!

Seriously, comparing the KID to the Vol.... If the Kid is worth the $300 (and in my opinion it is), then the Vol kit is worth about 1/4 that at $75, b/c the Kid is easily 4 times the trigger.... I have felt some of the TG2000 units that did not feel much better than a factory with a drop in up-grade, I challange you to find someone that says that about the Kid...

edit - Just wanted to add that I don't sell either... AND vol may have a different unit other than the TG2000...but I was assuming that is the model you are refering to
Image Chicken George
Irish764
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Irish764 »

Thanks for the info on the KID trigger. I was leaning toward the Volq but you're the second person who has suggested the KID over the Volq.

So....thusfar I have a 170 dollar Ruger 10/22 Target model. I've pulled the barrel and replaced it with a 200 dollar Whistle Pig (total---370.00), I'll drop another 280 for the Kidd Trigger (670.00), 80 for the match bolt (750.00) and then another 200-300 for a stock....Looks like a grand tied up in a Wal-mart rifle after all is said and done!!!

Don't you just love the male logic at play here?!?!?
Is minic a bhris be
kevinpagano
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by kevinpagano »

I know it is fun to mess around with rifles especially when you can do it yourself. If your serious about silhouette shooting maybe you should consider a Kimber hs for less money than what you will have tied up in your custom 1022.

Kevin
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Anyway you slice it..

Post by Dee »

You can spend the $$$$$ any which way on any and all options with some rifles. What about using the Bell Carlson Anschutz style stock it sure looks like it meets all the measurement requirements the Odyssey stocks forearm looks like it drops to much to me. Besides that it would be fine with the adjustable butt plate and cheek riser so long as it is set to zero adjustment for the buttplate and the cheek rests max height is in a parallel line with the bore. Check that one measurement on the forearm for sure.

I wouldn't worry to much about the left hand/right hand stock issue down the road. You will always be able to get another stock pretty cheaply to switch hands. I would think it better to get the best fitting stock for the current shooter versus a stock that fit both hands but is not ideal for either of them to shoot comfortably. Having shot several ambi rifle some are ok but all and all a dedicated stock to one hand is a world better IMHO.

And to think I am ambidexterous no less. I write and eat left handed and shoot and throw right with some things able to do both ways. :o Forced by society to conform in the 70's!! It would have to suck to be solid lefty at a gun shoot with 95% of the rifles all right handed..

Anyway your gonna drop some change no matter what way you do, you already have :lol: So don't sweat the thought of a right hand this or left hand that get what fits who is shooting it for now and later when you pass it on switch the stock out, it will be minimal overall to the expense you put in to get it where you want anyway.

And just think you haven't even added in the cost for glasses for it yet haha..
Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
shakes
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by shakes »

I figure its about time for me to put my cent and a half in the tip cup. I shoot my ruger in the standard class just to have some fun. I got the reciever from dear ol'dad, had one laying around he wasn't shooting. I set it up with Kidd 20' stainless barrel, a Kidd trigger group set at 7oz with the straight trigger, a volquarsten machined bolt, Bell & Carlson Anscutz stock, with a Leupold benchrest 36 power scope that's been sent back to have the dot made bigger. I dont want to think about how much I spent on it but I know its close to $1000 if not a little over. I love my B & C stock its really comfortable, a little spendy but worth it. Spend the extra and go with a Kidd trigger. I've got both (Volq) and the Kidd is a thousand times better. Its funny to watch the bolt shooters shoot my Ruger, they dont think you can get a good trigger for a 10/22 boy are they suprised. Some say its better than the trigger they have on their bolt guns. I've shoot my best score with my Ruger, a 41 out 60 animals. I havent got that close with my Kimber yet. You can get a really good shooter from a 10/22 but you've got to be willing to spend the cash, but when its fun to shoot you really dont care how much your spending. Hope this helps, Matt.

P.S. If you decied to order a Kidd trigger call them up and talk to his wife Marapet, she will answer any questions and concerns you have. By the way the trigger comes in two stages my is set at 14oz total, 7 for the first stage and 7 for the second, that's what she recommended.
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

It is almost comical how we discuss taking a sub $200 rifle and making it a shooter by adding on $500 worth of barrel and trigger alone. Reminds me of rifles like Rem 700's that cost <$400 with a $1000 scope on top for shooting deer no further than 150 yards or so away.

Some folks might as well start out by ordering the Custom 10/22 Receiver in stainless with the custom bolt and then add all the other custom stuff you planned on adding anyway. Seems like thats about the only part used for most 10/22 mods anyway, looking at ebay factory barrels and stocks are not worth much on the re-sale market anyway so your not going to recoup much on the take off parts.

Someday I may do up a 10/22, I have always loved them for just sheer fun and that semi auto speed. At least you can do it bit by bit so you don't have to take the sticker shock al at once :roll: They sure are pretty and unique looking rifles when done up fully.

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

Dee has the right idea! If this is your preference just start with the steel receiver and build to suit! Embrace your illness instead of hiding behind the rationalization that it is just a 10/22 from Wal-Mart!

We are all a little crazed, so a custom 10/22 just sounds like part of the fun to me!
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ
psteiger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by psteiger »

I agree, it's about the journey. By building your own rifle, and playing with different parts, you will learn a lot. It will be fun. It may not be the perfect rifle, and then again, it may turn out to be the perfect rifle. You never know. Troy Lawton won nationals with a 10/22 with a Kidd trigger. Go for it!
jneihouse
Distinguished Master Poster
Distinguished Master Poster

Post by jneihouse »

The journey of a thousand tears starts with the purchase of a project rifle, grasshopper.....Ask Blaubear...

Kitty
Commander in Chief, F Troop
kevinpagano
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by kevinpagano »

Kitty, I been on that journey of a thousand tears . It started out as a Springfield Armory mil spec gun and I customized it all myself except for the dovetail cuts for the sights. While I was building it kimbers got popular and spent twice what a kimber 45 cost but it was my gun and I loved it. Still not sure why I sold it to buy a Wilson CQB. I still have some good pictures of it that I look at from time to time.

If the thought of building your own gun brings a smile to your face then go for it. But realize you will probably get a Annie down the road anyway.

Have fun.

Kevin
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

jneihouse wrote:The journey of a thousand tears starts with the purchase of a project rifle, grasshopper.....Ask Blaubear...

Kitty
On second thought, don't ask unless you have some time to kill...
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ
Worker 11811
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Worker 11811 »

Like the others say, it's a lot of fun to shoot a 10/22. If you're willing to put some $$ and time into them you can make a right-fine shooting gun.

I've been out on the range several times this summer with my 10/22 when there were other guys out there with their high power rifles. Most guys are great to be around but there's always one or two who will give you that, "Oh... he's shooting a .22" sneer when they see you come up the the firing line.

I like to use golf balls for practice targets. They're just about the same size as a chicken. They'll fly 20 feet or more if you hit them good and solid. That's always a lot of fun!

I keep about a dozen golf balls in my range bag. I just pull out 5 or 6 of them and throw them out as far as I can. If I try real hard, I can get 6 or 7 hits out of 10 from 50 yards. (That's my best score so far this summer.)

INVARIABLY, it's the very same guy who gave me that "Little Gun Sneer" who comes over my way and asks, "What kind of gun 'ya shootin', there?"
My standard answer is, "Aw, ain't nothin' but a little ol' .22... but it shoots pretty good."

Just this weekend, there were a couple guys shooting high powers on the range when I was practicing with my 10/22 at 100 yards. I use the lids from 2 lb. coffee cans as substitute targets. They are a little bit less than 6" in dia. Just a hair bit larger than the ram at 100 yd.

These guys were punching paper from the bench. They had their guns all sandbagged down and were making a big deal out of the whole thing but I think they were lucky to get 6" groups from 100 yards.

It was time for me to head home. So, I left my makeshift targets out on the rail. What the heck? They don't cost anything. Why not let somebody else shoot at them? Eh?

I packed up my gear and left. But, by the time I made it up the hill to the gate, I looked back to see those guys standing up, holding their rifles, trying to hit those coffee can lids from 100 yds.

I think, between two guys, MAYBE they managed to knock down three of them. :lol:

Yes, shooting a 10/22 can be fun. 8)

I bought the gun from a local sporting goods store 15 years ago. I spent about $300 to put a new barrel, stock and scope on it. I spent about another $100 to have the trigger and the bolt redone. So if you don't count the original purchase of the gun, I only spent about $400 on the whole thing.

For the amount of fun I've had with it, I think I've gotten a lot of bang for my buck. :)