Gun club match

This is what we do.
ltcnav
Unclassified Poster

Gun club match

Post by ltcnav »

Hi, first post, looking for advice.
For about 7-8 years I hosted an informal SB Silhouette Shoot for an activity for my church. Used all NRA material(I am a life member, and certified pistol instructor). Ran just like a sanctioned event, but was not concerned with the rifle classification, it was just for fun. Most folks borrowed my guns and eventually morphed into a plinking session. It was just to hard for novice shooters with borrowed equipment. So, once a month we now do a rimfire challenge with rifles only. Seems to be attracting some shooters, it is easier under the circumstances.
At my last gun club meeting I suggested that we start a league for rimfire silhouette in the spring. What will work best, just a match, or is there a league format, if so, how do you score for a league?
Any experience with what would work best? easy to manage, attract shooters, etx.
Tx
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Gun club match

Post by atomicbrh »

If you let folks know your general location, there might be a seasoned competitor close enough to give you on site advice.
Having someone there in person is better than phone conversations and internet communications.
There is nothing like being on the ground.
ltcnav
Unclassified Poster

Post by ltcnav »

Absolutely!, However , I am in the UP of Michigan, no such shoots in or near me!. Really, just looking for a club that does matches, and what works best for them. We are a small club, 100 members or so, and just looking into a Silhouette Match/or league. Feeling out what other so.
Tx
ltcnav
Unclassified Poster

Post by ltcnav »

Another question, Went to the NRA web site. Could not find any of the items I used to order, ie 5/10 in a row pins, score cards, match poster, etc. Has the NRA bowed out of the Silhouette business?
curmudgeon
B Poster
B Poster

Post by curmudgeon »

ltcnav wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:42 am What will work best, just a match, or is there a league format, if so, how do you score for a league?
Any experience with what would work best? easy to manage, attract shooters, etx.
Tx
Hi, glad to hear you're organizing another Silhouette shooting opportunity.

I've not heard it described as a league before, but one of the "league" like things one of our local clubs does, is to track scores over the year using a handicap system and at the end of the year, recognize the top handicapped shooters in standard and hunting rifles. The club schedules 12 monthly matches, occasionally one is cancelled when we get deep snow. Each month, each shooter's scores are handicapped based on their current classification, and their best 9 scores from the year are tallied.

The handicap system favors shooters that are shooting at or near the top of their classification; so new shooters that show up regularly and are progressing will do well - helps to set the hook.

Here's a link to a handicap system - Handicap Guide
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

There is definitely something going on with the,NRA website. I tried to find the pdf files for targets and its gone. Called the competition hq to ask someone and got the message machine and havent heard back. They use to have a handbook for how to set up a range for silhouette along with target sizes and material requirements. I know they changed the targets some but why did they drop the pdf files....?
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Another Dang 9 wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:31 pm There is definitely something going on with the,NRA website. I tried to find the pdf files for targets and its gone. Called the competition hq to ask someone and got the message machine and havent heard back. They use to have a handbook for how to set up a range for silhouette along with target sizes and material requirements. I know they changed the targets some but why did they drop the pdf files....?
Maybe they went out of business? Perhaps the NRA is getting out of the competitive shooting business and are going to be a full time lobbying organization?
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Dave, lets hope not.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Another Dang 9 wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:30 pm Dave, lets hope not.
I agree, it would suck if they abandoned competitive shooting.