Longer barrel for CZ455 American - worth it?

This is what we do.
mychippy
B Poster
B Poster

Longer barrel for CZ455 American - worth it?

Post by mychippy »

It looks like there is a longer, heavier barrel (24") made for the CZ455 that can be purchased from the manufacturer for about $190:

https://shop.cz-usa.com/ProductDetail/0 ... 22lr-Blued

It's supposed to have some taper to it, unlike the regular 455 varmint barrel, which would make it legal for Hunter. Do you think it would be worth the money and hassle to have a barrel with a little more weight out there? Would it make any difference?

I'm shooting a mostly-stock CZ American with sporter barrel. I've considered getting the Lilja barrel, for the reason mentioned above, but the cost seems a bit high.
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Longer barrel for CZ455 American - worth it?

Post by acorneau »

More weight out front does provide for more stability. I prefer a slightly front-heavy rifle but some people don't like it.

CZ's are pretty light so anything to get the weight up should be considered a positive, but only you can decide if it's going to work for you.
Allen Corneau
mychippy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by mychippy »

With the threaded bit on the front of the barrel, you could even screw on a lead weight to the tip of the barrel for standard class. :-?
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

Are the forearms the same for the CZ 455 American and Varmint? The barrel taper on the American looks more severe than the varmint.
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Retired match director @ Piedmont Gun Club, Rutherdfordton, NC
mychippy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by mychippy »

Sporty wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:07 pm Are the forearms the same for the CZ 455 American and Varmint? The barrel taper on the American looks more severe than the varmint.
The channel for the 455 American must be smaller than the channel for the 20" 455 varmint. The american/varmint barrel is a straight profile, and I don't think would fit in the sporter stock.
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

If you want to stick with a CZ American get the new 457. It has a 24.8" barrel. I see they are starting to be listed in a couple stores.
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Retired match director @ Piedmont Gun Club, Rutherdfordton, NC
mychippy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by mychippy »

Sporty wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:39 pm If you want to stick with a CZ American get the new 457. It has a 24.8" barrel. I see they are starting to be listed in a couple stores.
Good point - did not know they moved to a longer barrel. :-bd :-bd :-bd