CZ 457 Varmint Precision Trainer Question

This is what we do.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

CZ 457 Varmint Precision Trainer Question

Post by atomicbrh »

It is just a matter of time before someone asks this question so I will ask for them.
Is the CZ 457 Varmint Precision Trainer Camo in the Manners stock meet all rules for smallbore Hunter rifle?
Will it make weight?
Does the stock fit both Hunter and Standard rifle dimensions in the rules?
Does the barrel have enough taper to it to meet Hunter requirements?
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: CZ 457 Varmint Precision Trainer Question

Post by Sporty »

If it's tapered then it should be enough. I'm not aware of a "degree of taper" requirement.

Does this picture help answer your question about dimensions?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Retired match director @ Piedmont Gun Club, Rutherdfordton, NC
curmudgeon
B Poster
B Poster

Post by curmudgeon »

Thanks for posting the picture of the dimensions.

I've heard about a box-jig used for inspecting rifles at big matches - does any one have dimensions/instructions to make one of those jigs?

Thanks,
-Steve
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Charlie, That diagram is not current. The requirement of a maximum of 7 inches from toe to centerline of bore was removed several years ago.
I do not have a CZ 457 in the Manners stock to compare. That is why I asked the question. I have never seen that diagram before and did not know it existed. That diagram is not in the NRA rulebook. There are so many things hidden on the NRA website and I have to read this forum to find out about them. I wonder if there is a similar diagram for Hunter Rifle hiding in the recesses of the NRA website?
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

atomicbrh wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:05 am Charlie, That diagram is not current. The requirement of a maximum of 7 inches from toe to centerline of bore was removed several years ago.
Thanks for the update. Are there any other obsolete dimensions?
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Retired match director @ Piedmont Gun Club, Rutherdfordton, NC
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Only one minor thing. Rule 3.1 section f says 1 and 5/16 inches is the maximum that the trigger guard can extend below the bottom line of the forearm instead of the 1 and 3/8 inches on the diagram. That is only a 1/16 of an inch difference. Hard to measure a 1/16 inch with what most juries have with them at the range. 1/16 inch is being too picky but wonder why the discrepancy? Also I am wondering why they did not put the 30 inch maximum barrel length on the same diagram. It never made any sense to me that a hunter stock could dimensionally not meet the heavy rifle rules.
Edit: Oh wait! The last sentence in 3.1.1(c) says "Dimensions may not exceed those described in 3.1(d). I am glad they added that but when was it added?
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

The other strange thing is the Hunter rifle must have a functional safety but the heavy rifle does not.