Georgia Smallbore Silhouette State Championship Tournament

This is what we do.
TDB
B Poster
B Poster

Georgia Smallbore Silhouette State Championship Tournament

Post by TDB »

A256C3A2-57DF-4C90-802C-4EF19F4636F1.png
Due to very low registration numbers that permit effective preparation and planning, it is with sadness that I inform you that the Georgia State Smallbore Silhouette Matches at Coastal Georgia Gun Club in Brunswick, Georgia scheduled for September 20-21, 2019 have been canceled.

For those that did register and pay the registration fee, any sent check will be voided and any payments made via PayPal will be refunded via PayPal.

I know this is disappointing news, but I wanted to let everyone know sufficiently in advance to permit changes of plans on your end.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by TDB on Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
TDB
B Poster
B Poster

Re: Georgia Smallbore Silhouette State Championship Tournament

Post by TDB »

Due to very low registration numbers that permit effective preparation and planning, it is with sadness that I inform you that the Georgia State Smallbore Silhouette Matches at Coastal Georgia Gun Club in Brunswick, Georgia scheduled for September 20-21, 2019 have been canceled.

For those that did register and pay the registration fee, any sent check will be voided and any payments made via PayPal will be refunded via PayPal.

I know this is disappointing news, but I wanted to let everyone know sufficiently in advance to permit changes of plans on your end.
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

Sorry to hear about the low pre-registration count. I'm sure there will be plenty of folks disappointed that the match has been cancelled.

I keep hearing from the match directors of these larger matched how difficult it is to get people to send in their registration ahead of time. Many people just want to show up and pay at the match. The problem with that is the organizers can't plan out meals, or relays, or buy prizes, or anything else because they don't know how many people are coming and how much money they will be bringing in.

There may be plenty of reasons why our sport is slowly dying off, but this is one of those reasons that can easily be avoided. We need to put friendly social pressure on each other to make sure people send in their registration for these matches early, otherwise your state or regional match might be the next one that gets cancelled.

:evil:
Allen Corneau
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

This match is still over 9 weeks away from today. That is still a significant period of time for entries to come in.
Personally, we would consider making this match but it follows Ridgway too closely to make another long drive that soon.
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

I'm sorry to see this cancellation. I doubt we can change how people register for state competitions. I know a few shooters at our matches were talking about going to Georgia but I don't know if they preregistered.

This gives me an indication of what can be expected with my first NC state match planned for the 1st weekend June 2020. The new plan is to rotate the state match between the Asheville and Piedmont clubs. I must think this through with perseverance and perspicacity.
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Retired match director @ Piedmont Gun Club, Rutherdfordton, NC
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

What you can expect on the first weekend of June 2020 in Rutherfordton, N.C. is high heat and high humidity that Asheville will never have. Lodging in June can also be a problem because of weddings and the people who take their family vacation as soon as school is out. Matches in April and early May are much more pleasant because they do not run into these problems.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Other things to expect are the Texas state match and the Iron man in Montana that same weekend drawing some of the shooters who will travel a distance.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

TBD, you don't state how many shooters did pre register. I can tell you from myself as someone who habitually is a late register canceling a match due to low numbers this soon may be premature. JMO.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
powding
B Poster
B Poster

Post by powding »

I regret the decision to stop the GA. state match. I ran the Asheville, NC matches for nine years including several state matches so I know the need for good preparation to have a successful match. However, I believe the trigger was pulled too early to call it off. Could there not have been a post here and to club directors advising them of the need to get paid commitments? There could have been a warning stating this need and then give people a couple of weeks to respond. What happened was a “bam, no match”. Every stoplight sends a caution signal before it goes red. We should do the same by communicating to the shooters what has to happen to keep moving forward.

There are many factors that go into putting on a match and I have only addressed one, the need to communicate. It is quite possible other reasons are at play. Also, this is not a personal attack.
Pagunner
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Pagunner »

That's a shame. Myself and two others have been planning to attend since the sunshine classic. I hear there is talk of rescheduling it for November at another location.
mountainman308
B Poster
B Poster

Post by mountainman308 »

I was holding off on registration to see if my new job would permit me to travel. If it's true that they are thinking about rescheduling for November, that would be even better.
frankmako
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by frankmako »

No body knows what or when they might or might not do when it comes to this match. They sent my money back last week. I cancel the hotel and moved on.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

It will not be too cold for a match in November in Georgia even if it is as far North as Dawsonville.