Isn’t it a great feeling when......

This is what we do.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Isn’t it a great feeling when......

Post by DavidABQ »

Isn’t it a great feeling when rummaging though your garage and find a case of SK Standard + ammo you forgot you had?

Yep, I found a case of ammo that I somehow lost for a couple of years.

One more case and I am done buying SK ammo for a little while.

\m/
Kennbackhaus
Unclassified Poster

Re: Isn’t it a great feeling when......

Post by Kennbackhaus »

does anyone know if and how heat effects rimfire ammo?
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

My personal storage goals for both ammo and optics:
1. Always less than 80 degree temperature. Ultimate goal is really 78 degrees or less.
2. Never below 32 degrees. Never freezing. Ultimately goal is above 40 degrees.
3. Never in direct sunlight, even sunlight through a window. Ultimate goal is dark.
4. The lowest humidity you have available.
Somebody will ask why? Storing ammo outside of the above conditions can affect powder, priming compound, primers and lube. There is a difference in just sending the projectile down range and sending it with the smallest group possible. Storing optics outside of the above conditions can age O-rings and lube in the turrets and variable magnification mechanism prematurely. My personal experience is that Lapua and
SK-Jagd last many years longer in storage than all other brands of ammo and are less affected negatively by poor storage conditions. I have never had Sk or Lapua lube go bad in storage.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

I guess I did not really answer the question.
Long storage periods, heat and cold cycles cause most rimfire lube to age prematurely. Depending on which manufacturer and which lube, it becomes very thick and cakey. The priming compound and powder attract moisture over a period of time or under poor storage conditions. On the thinner, oily lubes I am always concerned about the lube leaving the bullet when stored in high temperature conditions.
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

DavidABQ wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:06 pm Isn’t it a great feeling when rummaging though your garage and find a case of SK Standard + ammo you forgot you had?

Yep, I found a case of ammo that I somehow lost for a couple of years.

One more case and I am done buying SK ammo for a little while.

\m/
How about you come leave a case of ammo at my house so I can know what the feeling is like finding one. Image
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
ywltzucanrknrl
A Poster
A Poster

Post by ywltzucanrknrl »

Always nice to find something you forgot about that has value!
So, off David's topic but as far as stored ammo goes: I've been testing some 22's and ammo lately @ 100 meters prone with a sling and bag supported front hand, wondering about replacing a barrel on a CM-2. I live in a dry, cold area, but store my ammo pretty much in the temperature range mentioned above. I have quite a bit of Eley National Match---not sure even how long ago they made it, but I acquired it sometime mid to late 1980's. Also tested some Eley Tenex Red Box from the early 1980's and some Lapua Center X that is about a year old. I shot 20 shot groups on the 100 yard smallbore target. Every brand cleaned the target, no failures of any kind. The Lapua had the highest X count--around 60% which I'm sure is about the limit of my hold/ability. The Tenex and National Match were not far behind, but had more out shots spread around the 10 ring. So some 36+ year old ammo and it shot great in my opinion. 100 shots each ammo, mild wind, some mirage and quite a few sighters. So, any of that ammo would have hit every ram if you broke your shot on center--and out of a clunky, old CM-2.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

There is some excellent information here about long term storage of .22 LR ammo. I am,glad that I have moved it inside my house from under the tarp in my backyard.
Thank you everyone.
pdeal
A Poster
A Poster

Post by pdeal »

Best practice is to shoot it and not store it long term. I have a friend who has several cases of eley tenex. They are like 20 years old. He has had quite a few instances when the case heads blew off. And I think he has stored them under pretty good conditions.
Varn
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Varn »

If the conditions make you comfortable. The ammo will like it too. Sounds simple but it really is