Importance of premium Ammo for rookie Silhouette shooter?

This is what we do.
LH2
B Poster
B Poster

Importance of premium Ammo for rookie Silhouette shooter?

Post by LH2 »

Are most of you guys shooting high-dollar Ammo from Eley/RWS/Lapua or have many of you found success with something less expensive?

I'll soon be sighting in my new CZ 452 and need some ideas on what ammo to try. Will try CCI Std Vel & Green Tag, Rem/Eley and SK standard plus (same as Wolf MT).

Champ's Choice has Federal Target on sale so I may order some of that.

Do you always use the same ammo in practice as in matches?

Since the largest variable for a new sil shooter seems to be the challenge of shooting offhand (not equipment) how important is ammo? I see the top stuff is pretty expensive, how necessary is it for a B shooter?
lucho

beginner ammo

Post by lucho »

I don't think expensive ammo is necessary for a beginner shooter, (B-AA). By the time you get to AAA you may be lossing an few animals to less expensive ammo.

You'd be better off shooting more less expensive ammo than a little expensive ammo.

The SK or Wolf Target will group around 1.5 inches at 100 meter. This is just fine for the beginner.

I shoot less expensive ammo for monthly matches. As a matter of fact, I shot my first 15 in-a-row turkey's with Wolf Target.

I'd say spend $250 and get a case of SK, Wolf or CCI and practice once or twice a week. Shoot paper and dry fire. You'll get better faster and save money along the way.

I will say that I do shoot more expensive match ammo at big matches, State matches, Conard Cup, or Nationals. I figure if I spend a lot on entry fees, travel, lodging etc. I may as well spend a little more on high quality ammo.

This can cause problems. Going to a big match and sighting in with new ammo just before the match is a bad ideal. You have to buy enough to sight in a couple of times before going to the match. Maybe even shoot a monthly match with the good stuff. This builds confidence in your zero's with this new ammo.

Just my take...

Lucho
ajj
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ajj »

Your analysis of the challenge is correct...it's in shooting, not ammo testing but some testing is going to be necessary. We can't have too much "mechanical" accuracy but we must face the limitations of the system, too. .22 rimfire is being pushed to the design limits when we ask for serious accuracy at 100 meters and it's going to take some looking and some money to get the best but there's no point in expecting too much, either. The idea is to get something good enough and then stop worrying about it.
Remember what group size means: The WORST shot in the group lands HALF the group size from the point of aim. A good center break will take care of a lot of ammo problems. On the other hand, real-world shooting requires us to take edgy shots when the dot settles well. There just isn't time to center-up every shot, soooo...
Start your testing with Wolf/SK. This is the closest thing to cheap target-grade ammo out there. I've shot at least seven different lots and found almost no lot-to-lot difference. Still, it's nice to be able to latch onto a case or more of the same lot when you find one that works.
I won a brick of RWS Target Rifle at Winnsboro and it's just terrific in my rifle. This is the cheap RWS and I believe Champions has it for about a dime a box more than SK. Remember, your rifle might not like it.
I bought a case of Eley Match EPS ("black box") three years ago for around $630. Got it home and found that the Finnfire wouldn't shoot it into a bucket. Thought about selling it but hung on until I got my 1712 and the first group at 100 yds (not meters) went into .630". A fluke, of course, but it's mighty close to 1" ammo at 100 meters which is absolutely all you can ask for.
If you shoot enough Wolf from the bench you'll eventually have a round that makes a weak sound and drops the bullet 6" low. Rare, but it happens. This is of no practical long-term significance whatever but it does drive some of us to spend $7 per box for ammo for big matches.
I ordered a case of Aguila Standard velocity on a whim, because it was cheap ($99 plus shipping from Cole Distributing) and was VERY pleasantly surprised. The grouping ability is just outstanding but, again, you get a low round every now and then. This is my practice ammo. I shot my first 34 with it a couple of years ago. (I am NOT a 34 level shooter.)
If the ammo won't group well enough to give you confidence that it'll go where you point, then it's worthless even for practice. But there is inexpensive stuff out there that will do the job. Do your testing and then buy in volume.
Last edited by ajj on Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
LH2
B Poster
B Poster

Post by LH2 »

I appreciate the replies guys.

I have ordered a brick of SK std plus aka Wolf MT.

Would I be wasting my time by trying 100-200 rounds of the following:

-Winchester T22 target
-Fiocchi ultrasonic silhouette
-Federal 711 Gold Medal
-CCI Std Vel or Green Tag

Or are any one of these possibly my rifle's favorite and reliable ammo worth a look?
lucho

ammo testing

Post by lucho »

No you won't waste your time testing. Just don't go over board.

All you need is a box of 50 to tell if it will shoot.

Just shoot some 10 shot groups at 100 m or 100 yards and see how it groups. It is easier to see differences in group sizes at 100 than at 50. Try and do your testing on a calm day so you don't have to deal with wind issues.

Lucho