Raising comb, hunter class question

This is what we do.
Szumi
B Poster
B Poster

Raising comb, hunter class question

Post by Szumi »

I'm planning on shooting my CZ 455 American this year in hunter. The comb is a bit too low as the horizontal cross hairs is in the lower 1/4 of the scope.

I can glue some wood onto the stock but I'll rather find a lace on, strap on, comb riser and use it.

Would the lace on, strap on thing be legal?

If so, recommendations are welcome.

Thank you,

Szumi
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Raising comb, hunter class question

Post by ppkny »

I've had good luck using a variety of products from Got-A-Grip https://godagrip.com/cheek-pads-2/
This one on my CZ which is offset to one side to get higher check position and meet the requirement of the 1/2 max dimension above the centerline.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

sorry forgot to say which model Got-A-Grip Super Soft Cheek Pads - 5/8 inch tall SOPMOD 3-1/2” W x 5-1/4 L x 5/8” thick
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

In Hunter Rifle, I think that violates the ridiculous "attachment" restriction of Rule 3.1.1(c).

I've never understood why an "attachment" that meets the dimension and weight requirements is not legal but apparently it's not.

Dustin
Pagunner
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Pagunner »

ppkny, I will have a solution to your problem in the next few weeks. Send me a private message.
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

A different perspective on your issue...

Can you lower the scope with shorter rings?
Can you pick up your head a little bit?

I prefer a more upright head position (better for balance) and have to give up a firm cheek pressure because of the rules limitations. If I positioned my head with a firm cheek pressure it would be tilted over and bowed down a lot, and that's with a Pharr/McDonald stock with the maximum comb height.

All that being said, when I had a CZ I had the comb built up with a firm foam and elastic slip-cover to bring it up a bit (but still under legal height). I didn't get called out by anyone at either club matches or even several state matches. My guess is you would be fine as well.
Allen Corneau
Kujones
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Kujones »

I use an Accurate-Riser to raise the comb on my CZ 455 with great success
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Is the replaceable length of pull adapter on the Ruger American Rimfire rifle considered an attachment?
ShootingStar
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ShootingStar »

DavidABQ,
Specific answer to your question about the changeable length of pull adapter - NO, not an attachment

Back in the "good ol days" - when Greg Conner was "in charge". . .
I asked a bunch of questions relative to this topic "what is or is not an attachment" Without rehashing them all here, the bottom line per Mr. Connor was:
If it fit in the "jig" at Nationals, it was fine!
Many of my questions were along the lines of I see people modify their stock with bondo, then paint it and it looks "factory-like." Others just duct tape flip-flops onto the stock for a cheekpiece - which anyone can tell was added - i.e. "an attachment" Which is allowed/disallowed?

Again he said (paraphrasing) "If it fits, it shoots!"
Now this is 2020 and there's a new sheriff in town - so who knows?
I think the spirit of the rule is to attach something that puts the gun outside the rules, not just to make something fit you body better (and still be within the dimensional/quantitative rules). But then again, that's me.
As a Match Director, on Hunter Rifles I look for barrel weights, mid barrel tuner something that makes the forearm too deep, or the like.

ShootingStar