Taking the cz 457 Trigger to 2 lb

This is what we do.
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Taking the cz 457 Trigger to 2 lb

Post by Merlin »

Pete - The trigger pin with the clip is a great idea. I've had mine in and out 5 or 6 times and it is clearly a Lot looser now...... Is that a stock pin/part or a custom piece?
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
pdeal
A Poster
A Poster

Post by pdeal »

I made the pin. If you want one pm me your address I will send you one.
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

pdeal wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:02 am I made the pin. If you want one pm me your address I will send you one.
Pete that is splendid! An idea that is worth commercializing IMO.

Merlin
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
tomon
B Poster
B Poster

Post by tomon »

I'd buy a couple of the pins! Yesterday I ordered the kit from YoDave, BEFORE I read this! I'll also polish all surfaces (judiciously) with my Demel and Jewelers rouge. I don't think my MTR will adjust down to 2lb. I was going to redo the adjustments, but decided to go the new Spring route.
K Danz
B Poster
B Poster

Post by K Danz »

Got the parts yesterday. Thank you very much!!
I started with the medium spring and got it down to 18 OZ.
I put in the lightest spring and got it to 10 OZ, but testing it by working the bolt quickly and closing it smartly resulted in the sear releasing.
Took it back up to 14 OZ and no problems whatsoever,
Now I could put a tiny bit of sear engagement back into it, but it feels really good right where it is.
Gonna try it with some live ammo this week.
Awesome upgrade!!!
:D

Thanks again.
You really should sell these as kits. You could make some money on this for any CZ 457
tomon
B Poster
B Poster

Post by tomon »

I got my set yesterday in the mail. I'll put the rifle back together sometime over the weekend. Thank you, Sir! While waiting for the kit, I took the Bolt apart and filed the Firing Pin so that it will miss the edge of the rim. The firing pin now should be more consistent for each hit. I also checked the Head Space using the Plastigage method, as I don't own a depth gauge. I pulled the bullet from a cartridge, dumped the powder, and put the round in the chamber after measuring the Rim thickness. Closing the bolt with the Red Plastigage between does a controlled smash between the face of the bolt, and the back of the cartridge. The Rim thickness measured about .0395. The width of the Red string when compared to the chart on the package looks to be about .0065. This equates to a Headspace of .046. As I had ordered stainless washers awhile back from MC, I had the options of .001", .002", .003", or any combination thereof. The 3/8x 5/8 washer fits perfect for the 457. I installed one .003 one for the initial try. SK/Lapua has .043 rims, the RWS has .041, and the Eley is at .039. You can measure other brands and adjust accordingly.
tomon
B Poster
B Poster

Post by tomon »

Well, it's 12:30am and I just came up from finishing the 457MTR. The Pivot Pin is quite slick. I used the lightest spring and took it down to 12oz and stopped there. It passed the Bump test with no hiccups. The only maybe negative is that I had to take out some wood for the longer Pull Weight screw to clear. I didn't want it to ride on the wood even If the pillars held it stiff and still! The little wood removed doesn't affect anything though. I will shoot it at this weight for awhile and then might lighten it more.. I checked the Barrel Grub screws at 30 in.lbs., and the Stock Screws I set at 25 in.lbs. each. It's now ready to go BANG! Many thanks again to Pdeal for his generosity! I'll report again after shooting it. However, Mother Nature is frowning upon that for the next week!
tomon
B Poster
B Poster

Post by tomon »

13 months in reporting again! After installing the pdeal kit and getting down to 12oz., I shot it at 100yd Benchrest shoots for awhile. The trigger worked, and still works flawlessly, but I wasn't happy with the accuracy results. Inside the stock, I noticed that the plastic pillar was actually machined lower than the wood. I cut and installed a stainless shim under the front action screw hole and now it seats correctly. The groups improved, but still not what I expected out of the rifle. I ordered up the LBT Lapping kit, and ran it through the MTR, along with 4 other rimfire rifles. This shrunk the groups considerably! As I have multiple rifles I shoot off the bench, and only one I shoot silhouettes with, I decided to make this another silhouette gun. Grandson growing up fast and will need hardware! I installed a bipod on it, and started searching for a true HV Match ammo. My local Silhouette matches require HV ammo to shoot in the Hunter Benchrest category. My shooting buddy found the new (2021) SK HV Match ammo at Champions Choice and ordered me a brick. This stuff works GREAT in this gun! I was hitting a 180yd gong, and found 4 shots piled on top of one another, and the others close by! I went back to order more and it was GONE! Searched for a week or so, and found 3 bricks, actually, at a local gun shop! I will shoot the SK this Sunday at Keystone Sportmens Club's monthly shoot. I usually shoot two relays, so will use it both in the CZ, and my Remington 581. Thanks again for the trigger kit, and if you will sell some of them, I would like 2-3 of them!
K Danz
B Poster
B Poster

Post by K Danz »

Timney now makes a drop in trigger for the 457. Price was $157. Saw it at Brownells but they were out of stock last I looked.
Supposedly similar reduction in pull weight.
pdeal
A Poster
A Poster

Post by pdeal »

Since the time I started this thread I have had the opportunity to have adjusted the trigger on 4 or 5 of these rifles. I was able to adjust each one down to 2 lbs with no spring changing or anything. Maybe the first one was different, can't remember. Also, regarding the Timney trigger , from what I read it seems that it's really not much of an improvement over the factory trigger. Maybe if you're trying to get down into ounces pull weight but for a 2 lb pull the factory trigger really adjusts nicely. I always adjust the creep adjustment screw until the firing pin drops then back it off a fraction of a turn and test it well. I think for me the only thing that would be worth a change of trigger would be for a nice two stage trigger.