barrel for standard class

This is what we do.
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

barrel for standard class

Post by SqHunter »

What barrel length and profile do you recommend for a standard class smallbore rifle? It would be built on a 40x clone and housed in a wood Pharr stock. I remember seeing them used a few of the big matches, but never did get close enough to figure out the details. Thanks!
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: barrel for standard class

Post by Merlin »

I would suggest something like this one in 6BR.... :)

"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

SqHunter wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:49 am What barrel length and profile do you recommend for a standard class smallbore rifle? It would be built on a 40x clone and housed in a wood Pharr stock. I remember seeing them used a few of the big matches, but never did get close enough to figure out the details. Thanks!
What's the weight of the action and the stock? With that stock being wood, I don't think you can afford the same barrel profile a similar rifle would have that was composite rather than wood.

The Lilja RF53 is a popular profile, but I have a feeling it might be too heavy. Maybe the RF144? Hard to say without knowing how much weight you have to allocate for barrel.
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

Your going to have to ask the smith you have assymble the rifle what profile you can afford with the weight of the stock, action, scope and rings you want to use... ;)
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

Doodaddy wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:13 pm
SqHunter wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:49 am What barrel length and profile do you recommend for a standard class smallbore rifle? It would be built on a 40x clone and housed in a wood Pharr stock. I remember seeing them used a few of the big matches, but never did get close enough to figure out the details. Thanks!
What's the weight of the action and the stock? With that stock being wood, I don't think you can afford the same barrel profile a similar rifle would have that was composite rather than wood.

The Lilja RF53 is a popular profile, but I have a feeling it might be too heavy. Maybe the RF144? Hard to say without knowing how much weight you have to allocate for barrel.
I may have the RF53 on my hunter rifle, it is 0.71 at 22 inches. I had to have it fluted to make 8.5 lbs.

Not sure what weight to shoot for, balance seems to be the key for my shooting. My hunter rifle is balanced towards the middle, I thought since I have an extra stock and scope here I should try something weighted a little more forward.
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

SqHunter wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:23 pm

I may have the RF53 on my hunter rifle, it is 0.71 at 22 inches. I had to have it fluted to make 8.5 lbs.

Not sure what weight to shoot for, balance seems to be the key for my shooting. My hunter rifle is balanced towards the middle, I thought since I have an extra stock and scope here I should try something weighted a little more forward.
If there are uncertainties in the weight of the other components and how you want it to balance, I would definitely shoot for the final weight to be "too light" so you can add weight to get your balance right.

What barrel manufacturer are you looking at using? I mentioned Lilja since they are pretty common in silhouette, but mostly because they have a fantastic page of contours with drawings so I use them as reference.

RF53 .970″ for 3″ then st. taper to .700″ at 25.5″ (.670″ at 28″ .012″ per inch taper)
RF144 .875″ for 2.5″ then st. taper to .750″ for 6.0″ then .750″ st.

The contour I used on my build was a straight taper starting at .830" to .770" over a 30" blank. At a crowned length length of 23" (plus barrel tenon) my barrel was 7oz lighter than the RF53 with a muzzle diameter of .78" with the RF53 being .73". Very similar profile, but I saved weight on the breech end. I was able to balance the rifle how I wanted it without needing to add weight to it, but I was annoyingly meticulous with knowing what everything weighed before I ever ordered the barrel. I specified that contour specifically because of the weight I had left for barrel.
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

Doodaddy wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:34 am
SqHunter wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:23 pm

If there are uncertainties in the weight of the other components and how you want it to balance, I would definitely shoot for the final weight to be "too light" so you can add weight to get your balance right.

What barrel manufacturer are you looking at using? I mentioned Lilja since they are pretty common in silhouette, but mostly because they have a fantastic page of contours with drawings so I use them as reference.

RF53 .970″ for 3″ then st. taper to .700″ at 25.5″ (.670″ at 28″ .012″ per inch taper)
RF144 .875″ for 2.5″ then st. taper to .750″ for 6.0″ then .750″ st.

The contour I used on my build was a straight taper starting at .830" to .770" over a 30" blank. At a crowned length length of 23" (plus barrel tenon) my barrel was 7oz lighter than the RF53 with a muzzle diameter of .78" with the RF53 being .73". Very similar profile, but I saved weight on the breech end. I was able to balance the rifle how I wanted it without needing to add weight to it, but I was annoyingly meticulous with knowing what everything weighed before I ever ordered the barrel. I specified that contour specifically because of the weight I had left for barrel.
Thank you for such a detailed response. To answer your question, if I sent the stock back to the maker I think he would prefer to use Lilja barrels, he has on all but one of my rifles in the past. However, I am also debating on in ordering a Vudoo barreled action and dropping it in instead. I am pretty sure the maximum they make is 20" at 0.8, which would not balance right I don't think.
Rem580
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Rem580 »

You could use a reverse taper or muzzle weighted barrel since youre asking for recommendations on a STANDARD class barrel.

Lilja has a few rev taper and muzzle weighted barrels
RF101 or the ANS1907 countours are pretty cool looking