Too quiet around here...

This is what we do.
jneihouse
Distinguished Master Poster

Too quiet around here...

Post by jneihouse »

It's waaaay too quiet around here. Something must be up.....Is Chiken "hatching" a plot??? The Dawg barking up some other treee??? Duckgumbo quackling over evil intentions.........You can tell tax seasons over....Too much time on my hands.......
Commander in Chief, F Troop
GTS
AA Poster
AA Poster

I agree!

Post by GTS »

John

I think you're right, something is afoot. Or maybe they're all just saving their most serious verbal thrusts and jabs until something worthy of their attention comes along. You just never know.

GTS
jneihouse

Post by jneihouse »

Yeah, but their attention spans so short they are likely to miss "it" when it comes by.......Unless we slow it down for them.....We shoot our regular monthly match at OFGC this Saturday......Bring Chiken up and let him tie you and then whip him in a shootoff again.....we got pretty good mileage out of that last time........
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Pe Ell is less than two weeks away. We're all getting ready for it. Personally, I'm trying to beat work down enough to get the Frankenstock finished so I can test ammo this weekend. I have an elite 4200 6-24x on order that won't be here until next Tuesday, and I still have to find some rings to mount the thing in now that I have a properly proportioned stock. I hope Marv brings some of his rings in different heights to the Pe Ell shoot. It looks like I might need some. I got my deposit and color choices off to Mark Pharr, though, and I'm hoping for a call from Neal Stepp any day now saying my 1712 barreled action has come in. I can't wait to pick up my vest from Chris Winstead at Pe Ell. :)
jneihouse

Post by jneihouse »

Jason,
You're waaaayyy too organized :lol:

We're getting ready for the trip too. I found my shoes (both of them) Got several autographed copies of spottin kitty's pic for her fans. Loaded my Eley boxex with federal lightenings and made sure there was no dirt dobbers nests in my barrel..........What's left to do?????

Post by Guest »

Can any of you guys put me in touch with mark pharr or marvin pearson or someone of high quality to do some custom barrel and stock work on my 452. I wanna get a 452 trainer next week and use the action to build a gun.

Thanks guys

Kevin

Post by Guest »

OK, who put Kevin up to this???? You want things stired up...well you did it...LOL

Kevin, are you looking to re-barrel or re-stock, tell us a little bout your project...

Chicken
metalhead
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by metalhead »

Hey Kevin...

As Pharr as I know, this guy Marvin Pearson is a jerk and he does not work on POS gunz like a CZ of any kind....go figure....

Post by Guest »

No one put me up to this heheheh. I am just looking to build a gun later down the road for Standard division and I do not know that a Anschutz is going to be in the budget.

Kevin

Wow I am new here and already stirred things up!

Post by Guest »

Chicken, I am looking to do both barrel and stock. Get the gun right up to the weight limit and give it a barrel that will hopefully make it shoot with an anschutz. Am I barking up the wrong tree. Is this a waste of time and effort. Pretty new to this and wanting to get as much knowledge as possible.

Kevin

Post by Guest »

I was given those names by someone in another forum. I must have fallen for some bait. Anyway do you guys have any suggestions of a builder that would touch the CZ.

Kevin
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

The reason this is causing a bit of fuss is that putting a new barrel onto an action is fairly expensive. If you're going to the trouble of rebarreling, you might as well get a top-end barrel like a Shilen since anything less won't be much of an improvement from the factory CZ barrel. Then you have to have the barrel threaded to fit your action. Luckily, I think the CZ actions are already threaded so you save a little bit not having to have that done. Still, you're talking about 300+ for the barrel blank, probably 200 to 300 to have it threaded and mounted, not to mention tapered for a hunter class gun or at least cut and crowned for a standard class gun. That's three times the cost of the whole trainer gun and you still have the sub-par CZ trigger and don't even have a stock that can fit the new barrel yet. To get a decent silhouette stock, you'll be spending $275 to $300 more probably, unless you make your own. (Don't ask, long story there) Then you'll have to have it inletted for the CZ action and have the action bedded into it. If you're lucky, you can use the bottom metal from the trainer stock. That's a big if.. if not, you have to buy bottom metal and have the stock inletted so that you can use it. You're probably looking at at least another $200 to $300 if you pay a gunsmith to do all this, and you're still stuck with the CZ trigger, the weakest part of the 452 design. The best you can hope for here is to buy the Timney replacement trigger (~$90 + shipping = ~$100) that will be decent, but nowhere in the neighborhood of a good trigger like the Anschutz or Jewell triggers. All total, you will have spent up to around $1300 to fix up a $200 gun, and you'll still have a gun that's inferior to an Anschutz.

Don't get me wrong. The CZ 452 is a great gun to get started shooting silhouette with. I am shooting one right now and just moved up to AAA class with it. It's not something you should drop big cash into to fix up, though. The cost of custom barrels, stocks, etc, is the same whether you're putting them into high end actions or low end actions. It just doesn't make sense to use a low end action. I speak of this from direct, recence experience. I currently shoot a CZ and in the process of building up a custom Anschutz hunter class gun that I saved up for and sold a few other guns to afford. Even if you decide to go forward with it, I doubt any of the better silhouette gunsmiths would be willing to take the job. The result of all your money and the smith's work just wouldn't be something that either could be proud of, and they'd be saving you some money and some heartache by not taking the job.

My advice to you is the same that I have given several others and I followed myself when it was given to me. Get a CZ 452 to get started into silhouette with. Fix up the trigger a little and you're set. If I were you I'd pick the Varmint, Silhouette, or Style model instead of the Trainer. Here's a thread on just that topic over at Graybeard:

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2 ... hp?t=87324

If you really like silhouette shooting and decide to stick with it, then start saving up and planning what you want to upgrade to. Keep using the CZ and improving while you save and plan, so by the time your skill is up to the point that the CZ will be holding you back you'll have the upgraded gun and can keep improving.

It's your money and I'm sure you could find a gunsmith willing to rebarrel and restock the CZ. I doubt it will be one of the better gunsmiths that are experienced with silhouette rifle work, though, and I don't think you'll be spending your money wisely.

Post by Guest »

Jason, WOW thanks for all the information you just gave. Just what I was looking for. I have a CZ American already. I will just shoot it for now. I have 2 more questions if you would be so kind.

1. Where can I find an Anschutz 1712 barreled action at a decent price. I was quoted 1300.00 the other day.
2. Would you go with a 2 stage or a single stage trigger for hunter class.

Thanks

Kevin
jneihouse

Post by jneihouse »

Kevin,

There might be one possibilty of a smith for your CZ if you are willing to put the money into it. If memory serves me well at the Kentucky State match last fall Sara Greer was shooting a CZ with a Hart barrel and some custom stockwork that her husband, Doug Greer performed on it. I don't have his emal address at hand but if you will serch Graybeard's forum, and possible this one, for his name you will turn up an email address. He and Sara run the Kentucky match and do a great job and are great people, and Sara shoots the CZ very well. That being said, I still concur with the general concensus of the replies here. Shoot the daylights out of your CZ, enjoy it, and save toward a rifle you won't have to re-invent to make it competitive.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Anonymous wrote:Jason, WOW thanks for all the information you just gave. Just what I was looking for. I have a CZ American already. I will just shoot it for now. I have 2 more questions if you would be so kind.

1. Where can I find an Anschutz 1712 barreled action at a decent price. I was quoted 1300.00 the other day.
2. Would you go with a 2 stage or a single stage trigger for hunter class.

Thanks

Kevin
1. Neal Stepp at International Shooters Service is who I'd call. I'm actually on his waiting list for a 1712 barreled action right now. No one has them currently, but he'll likely have them them as soon as anyone does. Cost is under $900 if I remember correctly.

2. I would go with a 2-stage. It's one of the major reasons for choosing the 1712 barreled action. If I were going with a single stage, I would have gone with a readily available used gun. Finding a used Anschutz magazine-fed repeater with either of the top-end Anschutz 2-stage triggers at a reasonable price was too much of a task for me to accomplish, so I'm just buying new. :)